South Fulton, TN responds, but watched home burn... again

JohnnyOV
By JohnnyOV in Operations (Fire-EMS-Police-911),
Remember that story from a year ago about the TN department that watched a home burn, well it happened again and the community is up in arms about it again.... http://www.wpsdlocal...-135069773.html The way the law is written seems pretty simple to me, and I've only briefly read up on TN's law. You have two different tax agencies, the city of South Fulton, and the unincorporated county tax regions. The City of South Fulton has a fire tax associated with it, and it's residents are required to pay. This ensures adequate fire protection for the city limits, and ensures a prompt and guaranteed effort to extinguish the fire. The unincorporated areas of the county (meaning they do not fall under any town or city limit lines) have 0 fire tax to pay. There are no fire departments, or other services in that area, unless there is a specific county tax for that service. People choose to live there because it is considerably cheaper, but do so knowing that many of the services the cities and towns have, they will not receive. As strictly a courtesy, the City of South Fulton has put a program in place, that for a nominal fee of $75 a year ($6.25 a month [less then a 6 pack of your finest canned beverage]) your home will be protected under their fire department. The department has no legal responsibility to respond or provide any type of service otherwise. Apparently, however, if there is a severe life safety issue of someone trapped, they will actually attempt rescue and suppression. The people down there know about the fee, but feel that fire protection is a right, and not a privilege. Not being from the area, and never having to deal with this, I'm not sure how I feel about the entire situation. On the one hand, it simply comes down to fire protection being a service. Service costs money, and that money is needed to be collected somehow. If you fight just one fire where the property owner didn't pay, it sets a precedent for the other owners of "Well if Mr. Jones didn't pay and still received the service, why should my family pay if they're still going to come out and do it for free? Sure you can suggest an "after service fee" of some amount that would cover costs, but if a homeowner isn't willing, or is unable to pay $75 a year, why / how would they then pay to cover the more exorbitant amount? On the other hand, I signed up to perform a service to my community, and those who truly need help. It's what I enjoy doing, and want to be able to ensure the trust of those who we protect. I have serious doubts if I could respond to someone's home burning, and not set up something that at least gave the appearance we were doing anything to assist the situation. Luckily we're never going to have to deal with this in our county, and it's quite clear who gets fire protection... everyone. I understand why most of the people are upset at the situation, you dial 911 and expect someone to arrive and help you, and it is a real disheartening feeling when they arrive and only standby and watch. I have to lean more towards my original thought though. These people knew, which was clearly stated in the article, about the service fee and refused to pay it. TECHNICALLY speaking, this home fell out of the jurisdiction of South Fulton, and is not part of their community, but what really makes a community? Town lines, common factors among people, school rivalries, fire tax lines? Obviously I'm torn between the two lines, hence my wishy/washy last paragraph. I have no right answer on the situation. What's your take on it? Edit: POLL UP... Thanks Mods
  • 25 replies