AndyC3J

New Apparatus Orders/Deliveries - All Areas Discussion Thread

816 posts in this topic

Call it what ever you want, but at only 1,000 gallons and no side or rear dump valves and no direct tank fills in the rear and NFPA says that's an engine.

Its a Rockland County thing, for some reason if you have a 1000 gallon tank or more, you can call your truck a tanker.

Westfield12 likes this

Its a Rockland County thing, for some reason if you have a 1000 gallon tank or more, you can call your truck a tanker.

You can or you must?

Time to change that. I see departments in a number of places who think they have a tanker, but ISO will not credit them with an ISO 8B. To move up from a 9 (the worst rating a fire dept can have) you need a minimum of 4,000 gallons of water on wheels in every response. Most places that get this improved rating (thus saving the community millions in insurance premiums) respond with an engine w/1,000 gal and a 3,000 gal tanker.

boca1day and Westfield12 like this

I think it's less that they can call the truck a tanker and more that it makes it easier to differentiate apparatus on the radio. In Rockland, engines are numbered by the pump size. For example Thiells has 26-1500, which is an engine with a 1500 gpm pump. However, when a department has multiple engines with the same size pump, they just add 1 to the previous engine, i.e. Thiells second engine is 26-1501. Now if you're a chief of a department with multiple engines with the same size pump, and you're trying to keep track of of apparatus on the radio, it's probably pretty easy to mix up between 26-1500, 26-1501, or 26-1502, and theoretically, that could go on for as many engines as you had. Therefore, most departments in Rockland designate an engine a tanker whether or not it is a tanker, because 26-tanker is not likely gonna get confused as 26-150x unit. At least that's how I always understood it.

Westfield12 likes this

Now that's a Tanker!!!

No its a pumper/tanker.

"A Tanker" does not by definition have a pump. And yes it looks nice.

Westfield12 likes this

Call it what ever you want, but at only 1,000 gallons and no side or rear dump valves and no direct tank fills in the rear and NFPA says that's an engine.

Engine, tanker, pumper,....what ever you call it, it has a big hose bed with not much supply hose on it ???

Westfield12 and SageVigiles like this

^ what he said.

And who these days can put eight butts in seats. Why have that many? Use the space for stuff.

E119 has 8 seats... not every time, but a good number of times we roll with a full house ( yesterday it was 5 interior and 2 exterior ) ... so ??? may not be a bad idea... Plus Mutual aid calls usually are full...

Westfield12 likes this

Florida fd has taken delivery of a kme fire police unit on a ford f series chassis. Pic on kme's featured delivery page

Westfield12 likes this

I think it's less that they can call the truck a tanker and more that it makes it easier to differentiate apparatus on the radio. In Rockland, engines are numbered by the pump size. For example Thiells has 26-1500, which is an engine with a 1500 gpm pump. However, when a department has multiple engines with the same size pump, they just add 1 to the previous engine, i.e. Thiells second engine is 26-1501. Now if you're a chief of a department with multiple engines with the same size pump, and you're trying to keep track of of apparatus on the radio, it's probably pretty easy to mix up between 26-1500, 26-1501, or 26-1502, and theoretically, that could go on for as many engines as you had. Therefore, most departments in Rockland designate an engine a tanker whether or not it is a tanker, because 26-tanker is not likely gonna get confused as 26-150x unit. At least that's how I always understood it.

So maybe you just need a more simplistic numbering system. The whole ladder size pump size numbering system is stupid in my opinion. I have heard people tell me well you know how long the ladder is or how big the pump is. When you hear them call mutual aid they don't ask for a pump or ladder size-they ask for an apparatus type. Rockland's numbering system is unique but it's in no way pragmatic. I believe in the most simple method possible. Fire Department + Type + number. Works fine in lots of areas of the country and no need for a decoder ring to figure anything out. Plenty of places type apparatus and inspect them which keeps departments from miss-classifying them.

North White Plains FD's old Rescue 33 is up for auction: http://www.auctionsinternational.com/auction/5120/item/31060

It's almost gone! haha.... We're in the works for a replacement, but we keep running into hurdles. Soon we'll have something a little bigger and heavier to meet the needs of our department.

Westfield12 likes this

I heard something about you guys getting a used Freightliner. What happened with that (if it were true)?

The previous/current owner isn't releasing it until they get their new rescue, and that new rig has been delayed. We're looking at a June/July timeframe for our delivery.

EmsFirePolice and Westfield12 like this

Cronomer Valley Fire District in Newburgh,NY(Orange) has a 2015 Ford F550 Firematic B.R.A.T in production to replace M-305.

Westfield12 likes this

Montrose FD will be replacing their current Utility 68 (1999 Dodge Ram 1500) with a 2016 Ford F-550/Marion body. Delivery expected sometime in the fall.

Edited by FF398
x4093k and Westfield12 like this

Heard it was a pierce quantum rescue pumper due in by the fall.anyone out their know the color rumor has it black and orange.....

Westfield12 likes this

Recently published legal notice for the Orange Lake Fire District (Orange Co.) seeking bids for two new pumpers.

Westfield12 likes this

Heard Wayne County, Montana is looking to replace their entire fleet with 6x4 ATVs and drones. Any validity to this?

Edited by Morningjoe
Westfield12 likes this

Bedford Hills will purchase a tandem walk-in heavy rescue, most likely Seagrave.

Westfield12 likes this

Recently published legal notice for the Orange Lake Fire District (Orange Co.) seeking bids for two new pumpers.

I wonder if this is a joint bid notice for Orange & Winona Lake, as they are both part of the Orange Lake Fire District. Both recently received a KME engine. The oldest engine at Orange Lake is a 1997 Pierce and at Winona Lake is a 1987 Pierce that was refurbished a few years ago.

Westfield12 likes this

Yes, that's it. Same deal as a few years ago. The plan was to replace two then, and two in a few years. Only reason 320 got the nod in the first round was because of the refurb to 322. That was what a member said at the time, if I am remembering correctly.

Saw some interesting comments on Ellenville FD's Facebook page. A vote just passed to purchase a new pumper-tanker. Somebody who hadn't seen the original post asked if it was for a ladder. They said there is a ladder on order (vote had twice previously failed for that). No info on what or when for either piece as of yet.

Westfield12 and idlewildvfd like this