Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYPD Fire Policy And Training

5 posts in this topic

From "The Secret List" Firefighter CloseCalls.com (Republished with permission

The NYPD has overhauled its "fire response" protocol - and is working on plans to provide basic fire training to officers in the wake of adeadly arson fire that killed a seven-year NYPD veteran and critically injured another officer. Hmmmm.

The Police Chief ordered new rules that went into effect immediately, including maintaining communication with fire dispatchers, taking the stairs whenever possible and being mindful of exits when responding to an emergency situation.

The NYPD confirmed the changes, originally reported by media but prior to the directive, there was no protocol for officers responding to a fire. One suggestion was that they await the FDNY, control the scene area, traffic and not operate in fire conditions.

Additional training from the FDNY is also being "considered" - a "Fire 101" course that offers insight into fires, which hasn't been done in decades.

As you know, Police Officer Dennis Guerra, 38, and Police Officer Rosa Rodriguez, 36, were at 2007 Surf Ave. in Coney Island on Sunday and got in an elevator to the 13th floor, where they were overcome by the smoke. They were both unconscious when FDNY members rescued them.

Officer Guerra died days after the incident, and Officer Rodriguez remains hospitalized in critical condition.

In yet another incident on Thursday, an NYPD sergeant and an officer were hospitalized with smoke inhalation at a fire in a Williamsburg apartment building.

The day after the Coney Island fire, the FDNY brought three of the NYPD's top cops to the hallway where the two officers were overcome with smoke.

The visit prompted the department to implement major changes, and they are "considering" bringing FDNY personnel to NYPD to provide fundamental information about fires.

"It's a basic 'Fire 101' course that is

thought to inform the [NYPD] about what they should be prepared for ....or avoid," a source explained.

Police Commissioner William Bratton said the two cops did not break any department protocol by responding to the emergency situation, because there was none.

NYPD does not have, and has not had any policies specific to this issue of going into buildings that are on fire. Perhaps re-evaluating a role that doesn't include placing the cops in any fire related environment might be considered...just say'n.

Take Care. Be Careful. Pass It On.

BillyG

The Secret List 4-11-14-1417 hours

www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com

SmokeyJoe likes this

I was listening to my scanner and heard the two 10-45's were police officers. Glad they are being given some direction.

I think it's impractical to think officers will not attempt evacuations when first arriving at fires but I stand by my opinion that having them use elevators is not worth the risk. If they have the keys and want to bring the elevators down to the lobby that's a great idea since it will have them there for the first arriving companies and prevent occupants from using them and being trapped. The problem with having cops in elevators before FD arrival is 1. They are taking away an elevator that the FD will need and 2. Even in fireman service an elevator is still not safe. They are a necessary evil and we use them in a calculated manner. Firefighters who take elevators always have SCBA and forcible entry tools. If elevator car malfunctions and goes to or above the fire floor the firefighters can don SCBA. If the car stalls the firefighters can attempt to self extricate with their tools. And if the car fails to respond to commands prying open the doors stops the car. This is not some overly cautious rant I'm basing this on the experience of the FDNY and personally being at fires where elevators operated erratically.

x635, Fireman488 and antiquefirelt like this

Wait till that now that they have direction they will be telling you its inside and to the left. In the NYPD stupidity is rewarded.

I applaud NYPD for taking this step. As overdue as it it, they might be one of the few departments with a formal response SOP for this type of situation. Far too many agencies take this for granted.

I took a class years ago that was designed for Fire & EMS personnel responding into crime scenes, that basically was a guide on how to not screw up evidence. From that I came away thinking that there should be a basic awareness level class about each service that the other services should take. PD often calls FD the Evidence Eradication Team and FD often calls PD Blue Canaries. Think about the last MVA scene you were on and how chaotic it was, let alone a structure fire or major assault. We should all be basically aware of what each other do and more to the point what we are limited in doing ourselves.

I would also include EMS in this, as even with FD being EMT's most of the time there are always new things coming out, especially in ALS that we often don't get to hear about. Despite there being a large number of EMS personnel with some FD experience there is still the problem with canceling incoming units without evaluating their actual need. So I guess there should be three classes and everyone should take two of them.

lt411 likes this