Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

DC Wins Right To Implement Horrible Schedule For FF's

17 posts in this topic

Washington, DC has to be the worst FD ever. Even when they try to "fix" things, they make it worse. Now, on top of all the other BS, they want to put firefighters on this horrible schedule:

An arbitration board has ruled that the D.C. fire department can implement a new work schedule with more frequent but shorter shifts, which the chief says will save money and improve services but the union contends will ruin morale and upend the lives of firefighters.

But for now, the ruling allows Chief Kenneth B. Ellerbe to alter the current system, in which firefighters work for 24 hours and then have three days off. Under the new schedule, firefighters would work three consecutive 12-hour shifts during the day, followed by one day off, then three consecutive 12-hour shifts at night, followed by three days off. The chief has maintained that the new schedule will allow him to save $38 million by cutting the size of the force through attrition.

“I think this is long overdue,” Ellerbe said. “It’s a win for the city.” Noting that many firefighters live far from the District, he said that the new scheduling might require them “to drive in more often. In reality, we need them here, and we need them close

They can't afford to live anywhere near "close"!! The Washington, DC area is one of the highest cost of living areas in the country.

Full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/district-wins-ruling-on-changing-firefighters-schedules-union-vows-to-continue-court-fight/2014/04/18/832232dc-c72b-11e3-bf7a-be01a9b69cf1_story.html

Well that's definitely a sh!t schedule that's for sure, but hey when you work for someone you work FOR them, so they get to set the rules...and apparently in this case the arbitration board feels the same way. I wish the guys in DC the best of luck with the courts, better to fight and lose than not to have fought at all....as I always say, failure to try guarantees only one thing....failure.

Working schedules not written in the contract? Im confused still on how this happened.

FDNY 10-75 likes this

Working schedules not written in the contract? Im confused still on how this happened.

The article said an Arbitration Board determined this. When things go to arbitration, there can be many factors that end up on the table, not all may be things you want changed.

The arbitration board is the DC arbitration board and seems to be pretty lopsided towards management. The current schedule is 24 on 72 off a 4 platoon system. The proposed system is 3-12 hour days followed by 3-12 hour nights followed by 3 days off which is a 3 platoon system. The average workweek will go from 42 hours a week to 56. I don't think DC intends to pay the members for the extra 14 hours. While it may seem that 12 hour shifts will better combat fatigue the reality is that is not true. A member working their 3rd consecutive night tour will be beyond exhaustion. In a perfect world people will believe that everyone is getting 8 hours sleep in between these tours but it's just not true. Our chart in the city is 9 hour days and 15 hour nights and members frequently trade to make them into 24s. From personal experience I am never more exhausted than when I'm working consecutive nights. In reality you will be late getting out of work (awaiting relief, fires near the end of the shift, and regular administrative duties) then you drive home how ever long in my case an hour and then your young kids never got them memo about daddy needing to sleep and you need to eat something....before you know it it's time to get back in the car. So in a practical sense 24s work better on the human body. Also they save money in that there are less times when overtime is incurred for calls overlapping the end of the shift. They result in fewer vehicle trips, less gas usage, and a lower carbon footprint.

This whole thing is much more about thinly veiled racism and an political machine agenda.

This is just one more example of the so many that confirms to me that we have gone past the tipping point. Common sense / practical thinking no longer factor into much of the decision making taking place these days.

16fire5 likes this

I'd bet this won't be the end of this discussion. Arbitration or no, work hours are increasing and quality of life issues are exponential here. I think you'll see a lawsuit before any of this takes place.

This will play out terribly for the members of DCFD.

FDNY 10-75 likes this

I'd bet this won't be the end of this discussion. Arbitration or no, work hours are increasing and quality of life issues are exponential here. I think you'll see a lawsuit before any of this takes place.

This will play out terribly for the members of DCFD.

I am sure there will be a lawsuit, but that may take a long time, possibly years to settle.

But, while it plays out in court, they may have to put up with that nonsense.

Edited by 10512

The arbitration board is the DC arbitration board and seems to be pretty lopsided towards management. The current schedule is 24 on 72 off a 4 platoon system. The proposed system is 3-12 hour days followed by 3-12 hour nights followed by 3 days off which is a 3 platoon system. The average workweek will go from 42 hours a week to 56. I don't think DC intends to pay the members for the extra 14 hours. While it may seem that 12 hour shifts will better combat fatigue the reality is that is not true. A member working their 3rd consecutive night tour will be beyond exhaustion. In a perfect world people will believe that everyone is getting 8 hours sleep in between these tours but it's just not true. Our chart in the city is 9 hour days and 15 hour nights and members frequently trade to make them into 24s. From personal experience I am never more exhausted than when I'm working consecutive nights. In reality you will be late getting out of work (awaiting relief, fires near the end of the shift, and regular administrative duties) then you drive home how ever long in my case an hour and then your young kids never got them memo about daddy needing to sleep and you need to eat something....before you know it it's time to get back in the car. So in a practical sense 24s work better on the human body. Also they save money in that there are less times when overtime is incurred for calls overlapping the end of the shift. They result in fewer vehicle trips, less gas usage, and a lower carbon footprint.

This whole thing is much more about thinly veiled racism and an political machine agenda.

You are missing one thing. In the first quote the new shift is 3 12 hour days, 1 day off, 3 12 nights, then 3 off.

You are missing one thing. In the first quote the new shift is 3 12 hour days, 1 day off, 3 12 nights, then 3 off.

It's not actually a day of it's 24 hours off. So if Tuesday is you third day you are due back in Wednesday night. That's not really 1 day off in my book.

But for now, the ruling allows Chief Kenneth B. Ellerbe to alter the current system, in which firefighters work for 24 hours and then have three days off. Under the new schedule, firefighters would work three consecutive 12-hour shifts during the day, followed by one day off, then three consecutive 12-hour shifts at night, followed by three days off. The chief has maintained that the new schedule will allow him to save $38 million by cutting the size of the force through attrition.

So basically the chief is admitting that he's purposely designed a schedule that will make life so difficult for his members that many of them will just say "screw it" and quit... and that's his genius plan to save money? Someone tell me how he ended up in this job.

sueg likes this

That's pretty much it. He knows that the guys that live in PA, Western Maryland, WV, and Central VA will never be able to do 6 12's

(*)

Totally agree with the poster on the 3 day 1 off 3 night...that 1 off is really only 12 hours not enough to get the body clock adjusted. i had a tour similar but it was a 4 day 6a-2p with the fifth day a 6p-2a only had 1 and a half day off per week..it sucked.....theyre asking for trouble these guys are going to suffer from fatique big time!

Chief Elleber is just trying to destroy the fire department even more. The guy is a legit scumbag. He has an axe to grind because people are comfortable. I imagine when he was on the line he was the 2% guy and no one wanted to help him out.

SageVigiles and CFI609D like this

Washington, DC has to be the worst FD ever. Even when they try to "fix" things, they make it worse. Now, on top of all the other BS, they want to put firefighters on this horrible schedule:

Seth: I take real issue with your statement that DCFD "has to be the worst FD ever." I spent w lot of time down there with both PGFD and MCFR, and I worked with DCFD fairly regularly. The reality is that they are a a very good, hard working job that is unfortuanately led by one of the most destructive and vicious chiefs of any major metropolitan department in the US. If you had said they have the worst fire chief ever, I would probably agree. But despite terrible working conditions, pay that is a fraction of their surrounding departments, and a very heavy fire and EMS work load, the firefighters, officers, and operations chiefs are doing a very good job. Morale is at an all time low, but they press on regardless. To judge the entire department by its horrible leader, however, is just not fair.

x635 likes this

Seth: I take real issue with your statement that DCFD "has to be the worst FD ever." I spent w lot of time down there with both PGFD and MCFR, and I worked with DCFD fairly regularly. The reality is that they are a a very good, hard working job that is unfortuanately led by one of the most destructive and vicious chiefs of any major metropolitan department in the US. If you had said they have the worst fire chief ever, I would probably agree. But despite terrible working conditions, pay that is a fraction of their surrounding departments, and a very heavy fire and EMS work load, the firefighters, officers, and operations chiefs are doing a very good job. Morale is at an all time low, but they press on regardless. To judge the entire department by its horrible leader, however, is just not fair.

I absolutely 100% agree with you. I believe DCFD is a world class department, but it's depressing to think how destructive to that these "plans" that have come out over the years are that have tarnished the morale of a great department. The FD that protects the nation's capitol should be a national example. Here's what I wrote on another site. I hope it elaborates on my statement above. When I use the term "they", I mean those in upper administrative roles.

DC has to have the WORST run fire department in the country. Every time they try and "fix" something, they inevitably make it worse. It seems like they change their long term plan on a monthly basis. Beyond the traditional DC that everyone thinks of, when the commuters and visitors go home at night, the rest of the city is as inner urban as you can get and keep PD/FD/EMS extremely busy. Firefighters and Paramedics in DC work hard for the little money thy make comparatively, and changing their schedule like this shafts them even more. Not to mention the lives it could cost. The Chief also cites it will force the firefighters who live in far outlying areas to drive in more frequently, forcing them to move closer to DC. They live far away from DC because they can't afford to live anywhere near DC!