Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ks1980

Visiting NYC and Long Island

14 posts in this topic

I am flying to NY tonight and will be there for 2 weeks. I am bringing patches to trade, so I am planning on visiting R3 in da bronx, and a few other houses. I was thinking of visiting maybe ride along in in queens or the island? Maybe visit the vollys out in Point Breezy or Broadchannel ? So if i can arrange any visit s or ride alongs let me know. Thanks in advance

No one in NYC trades patches, we just don't care/cant afford to give out patches that cost us money. No one will let you do a ride along in NYC without explicit permission from the fire commissioner, basically not going to happen.

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

At Empress a few years ago we had a very buffy youg lady come visit us from Canada. She just wanted to see urban emergency services. She came from a VERY rural area (Saskatoon/ Leeds in Saskatchawan province). She rode with us and NYC EMS and some NYC private hospital EMS. Yonkers ESU gave her a fairly elaborate demo of their trucks. She was very nice and folks helped her out and she loved it.

Folks will TRADE patches with you. Your post sounded more fire oriented, but if you want to ride in Yonkers EMS, message me and if I can figure out how to open an EMTBravo private message, I will try to help you out. We have 5 medic programs and several EMT classes that send their students to us, as well as occasional riders from London Ambulance (Yes, THAT London) so space may be an issue. I urge you to bring appropriate apparal and credentials/ID, foot wear etc.

Bill

KS1980,

You should take a ride out to Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn.

That is where the NYPD Aviation Unit is located. They are usually very welcoming

to visitors (who are nice) they also have plenty of t-shirts and buff stuff.

Same goes with visiting most FDNY Firehouses.

Enjoy!

=)

You are right. Never heard that expression before.

KNOCK WITH YOUR ELBOWS

Bring something, typically a case of beer, to a party. It could mean food or a drink, meant to be used at the party.

You can bring whomever you want, just knock with your elbows.

by Rob Petrocey September 23, 2007

BFD389RET likes this

As far as "knocking with your elbows" at the firehouse, it usually means an Entemann's cake;bagels;donuts;eggs and bacon to cook for breakfast (if you're coming in for a 9x6 tour), and The Daily News (or the Post, but not so much). Bring copious amounts if you have a pumpkin patch on your helmet (Probie)! That's why you have to "knock with your elbows", cause you're carrying.

antiquefirelt and BFD389RET like this

Hey ks1980, bring a good attitude and an Entenminns and you'll be welcomed in any firehouse in the city. As long as we're not at a busy point in the day (building inspection, drilling, ect.) someone will be happy to show you around and shoot the sh!t for a few. 5 pm or after is a good time if you want to be sure to avoid time when the companies might be busy.

Ride alongs are a no-no, but, hey, ya never know......

I visited New York a few years ago. Went to Truck4 and Engine 54 Bat 9 house. Great guys to share stories with and NO problem with t-shirts and they had a wonderful blanket for sale. Talked wth guys from Engine 7 on the street and many other stations. No problem at all as i felt welcome at every house. So as far as patches and decals you should have zero issues. Have fun!

I think the book was called, "So Others Might Live", a history fo the FDNY. It mentioned that there had been more than 1 or 2 "LODD's" of fire buffs in FDNY's past. VERY good book.

I can say Squad 18 (Greenwich Village) were wonderful and right next to them is ny fire store.

Thanks brothers for all the assistance. Half way thru, and I visited 34Engine, 55Engine, and 21Engine in Manhattan. 90 and 41 in the bronx and squad 61. Today I went to Coram and Yaphank FDs on the island. Still trying trying to get to the volly houses in queens and staten island.

I got to say hands down the guys at engine 90 and 41 truck were super welcoming and all aces! All the houses were , but I felt like family there. I also thank Coram fire for the tour. Holy crap the houses on the island are amazing. If I move back I am definitely living in long island.

We are still looking for a used or donation of a pumper by the way.

Thanks again , I am out of patches but I still got 1 shirt to trade?

Thanks brothers for all the assistance. Half way thru, and I visited 34Engine, 55Engine, and 21Engine in Manhattan. 90 and 41 in the bronx and squad 61. Today I went to Coram and Yaphank FDs on the island. Still trying trying to get to the volly houses in queens and staten island.

I got to say hands down the guys at engine 90 and 41 truck were super welcoming and all aces! All the houses were , but I felt like family there. I also thank Coram fire for the tour. Holy crap the houses on the island are amazing. If I move back I am definitely living in long island.

We are still looking for a used or donation of a pumper by the way.

Thanks again , I am out of patches but I still got 1 shirt to trade?