Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NOZ45ZLE

Sutphen Voluntarily Removing Aerial Devices From Service

7 posts in this topic

Sutphen is instructing customers to remove all SPH 100, SP 110, SPI 112, and SAI 110 Aerial devices from service, until further notice, effective immediately.

The Company states that customers are instructed to use the affected apparatus in the capacity of an engine/pumper or support vehicle only.

The Company will stay in close contact with its customers to report details and when the units may be place back in service.

"At this time, our priority is the safety of our firefighters," says Drew Sutphen, President of the Company. "In light of the recent incidents, we recognize there is an immediate need to take precautionary action. I would rather take every precaution necessary than to put firefighters at risk."

The Company states that it will be contacting customers with the affected units personally to inform them of the events that have occurred and the steps that are being taken to get the units back in to service in a timely manner.

"We feel the need to personally assure our customers that we are working to investigate and correct the situation," Drew continues.

Sutphen Corporation is an Ohio based privately held, family owned business that manufactures custom built emergency response vehicles. The company's headquarters are located in suburban Dublin, Ohio northwest of Columbus.

For more information contact the sales office or visit www.sutphen.com

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/news/fullstory/newsid/210507

So that leaves the following truck companies in Westchester out of service as far as the aerial goes?

Somers (1 Quint and 1 Tower Ladder)

Millwood

Scarsdale (Ladder 29)

Larchmont

Mamaroneck (Straight stick TDA)

Chappaqua

Mount Kisco

Thornwood

Harrison

Port Chester

Am I forgetting any?

Unless I'm reading it wrong it's 5 section aerial's only??.

Unless I'm reading it wrong it's 5 section aerial's only??.

Correct

And Mamaroneck's TDA is not one of the models listed

So that leaves the following truck companies in Westchester out of service as far as the aerial goes?

Somers (1 Quint and 1 Tower Ladder)

Millwood

Scarsdale (Ladder 29)

Larchmont

Mamaroneck (Straight stick TDA)

Chappaqua

Mount Kisco

Thornwood

Harrison

Port Chester

Am I forgetting any?

Only Mt Kisco

This brings up another issue. Spare trucks. Most larger departments have at least one spare engine, however the fire service seems to keep trucks until they are dead or trade them in for the new one, leaving most departments with no spare truck should something like this happen.

I have heard that the fix is going to take a while. So had the list been that big, how would departments have handled this need? You can call on mutual aid, but that is only good as long as the department you are calling isn't using their own truck at the moment. I know at least one truck in Stamford is effected by this notice. However we have a spare (used to be a quint) and trucks from other manufacturers.

Looking at that list, what would that have done to Westchester's responses? I know it is often said on here that there are too many aerials in the area, but if you take a bunch out of service does that quickly become too little? What if they are all clustered in one area, are long term relocations even possible in a system made up of smaller independant departments?

Westchester has more then enough of aerial devices to go around. So with MA(If Need) I don't see it being a problem.

Edited by DR104
BFD1054 likes this