Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Technology inspires new generation of train watchers

3 posts in this topic

Pretty cool article, especially for train buffs like me.

Technology inspires new generation of train watchers

CHICAGO While Metra commuters file onto their usual trains at Ogilvie Transportation Center, Fred Van Dorpe frantically weaves from one platform to the next with a hand-held video camera strapped to his palm..

In a matter of minutes, the 20-year-old from Chicago captures the engine of one train and the brake system of another, then drops to his knees for a panoramic angle of rail cars leaving the station with a city skyline backdrop.

"This is a lot of action," Van Dorpe shouts excitedly over the trains' deafening hums and bells. "It all adds up on YouTube."

Van Dorpe is one of many young train enthusiasts reinventing the hobby of rail watching, a pastime once reserved for old-timers and eccentric transportation buffs. With the help of Internet tools including Facebook, YouTube and Flickr, crowds of teens and 20-somethings meet online and gather with lawn chairs at dusk at otherwise sleepy stations across Chicago's suburbs.

Full article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-young-train-watchers-met-20140817-story.html

I'll admit it, I'm a rail fan. Not so much for the railroad industry but for the motive equipment. I'm am equal fan of the trucking and maritime business. If it has combustion engine for motive power, I like it.

x635 likes this

I'm not a train fan but my little guy is so we do a lot of electronic watching.

boca1day likes this