Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BillV

Westport CT FD to dispatch New Canaan FD

8 posts in this topic

Very cool to hear stories like this. I love when departments realize that sharing services works. And when it actually goes past the "thinking about it" stages too.

I wonder if 60 Control could make some money doing something like this? :huh: I believe Westchester departments are able to use 60 Control through the county taxes - but maybe they could make some money dispatching for bordering counties? Danbury just put out a new contract, how about other Ct departments? I believe the other NY counties have their own county control but maybe there's some room for other agencies?

I believe New Canaan is currently being dispatched by Southwest C-Med, so apparently they are committed to the contract outsourcing method, possibly switching every few years. If you feel comfortable knowing your dispatching goes to the lowest bidder, so be it. We have seen time and time again where this does not work in other aspects of the emergency services.

nfd2004 likes this

In a perfect world there should be ONE dispatch center to handle ALL the fire departments in a county. Big cities within a certain county aside (Yonkers, White Plains) could have their own due to complex procedures and work load. Other then that there should be on center. Nassau County is just as screwed up as Westchester with dozens of PSAPS and dispatch voices doing fire radio.

In fact in Nassau a smaller dept. being dispatched by a larger neighboring department is leaving to form their own dispatch. In their 111 year history they have never had their own dispatch center.

Not even going to the county, which is free. I would imagine the person will also act as a "houseman" with minimal cleaning and record keeping duties as well to justify this expense but here in the year F'in 2015 we are continually going backwards!

I wonder if 60 Control could make some money doing something like this? :huh: I believe Westchester departments are able to use 60 Control through the county taxes - but maybe they could make some money dispatching for bordering counties? Danbury just put out a new contract, how about other Ct departments? I believe the other NY counties have their own county control but maybe there's some room for other agencies?

There were talks of a regionalized dispatch center for the greater Danbury area, however, most of the local fiefdo- I mean towns wanted to maintain local control of their 1 dispatcher per shift...

Besides, the way Danbury went about their process was all wrong. Contract dispatchers are not the answer, civil service employees under a city 911 office would have been much better quality than what they have so far.

JM15 and 410 like this

Westport was not a low bid option. Better service and technology support.

Michael Kronick