Arbrow06

NYS AEMT CIC

6 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to put this here for consideration. Are there any EMT-I CIC's that can teach the new curriculum in Central New York?

Just wondering.

Best,

Andrew Brown

Didn't NY get rid of EMT-I level and tell all the EMT-Is that they either had to go down to EMT-B or up to EMT-CC or Medic?

Didn't NY get rid of EMT-I level and tell all the EMT-Is that they either had to go down to EMT-B or up to EMT-CC or Medic?

NYS EMT-I is being dropped and replaced by the national standard AEMT. Here are the highlights of the change from the transition documents that were sent out last year:

• 900 currently in NYS
  • Will go to National Intermediate level
  • Needle Chest Decompression removed
  • NG & OG probably removed?
  • Capnography & End Tidal CO2 will remain
  • Venous blood sampling will remain
  • MAST will remain (May see  emphasis in use for hypoperfusion)
  • IO for pediatrics and adults
  • Medications
  • – Nitrous Oxide for pain management
  • – IM Epinephrine & Glucagon
  • – IN Narcan & Epinephrine for cardiac arrest
  • – IV Narcan & D50W
  • – SC Epinephrine
  • – SL Nitroglycerine
  • – IV Epinephrine for cardiac arrest

It was also mentioned in Mike's recent SEMO/SEMAC notes that Intubation is STILL in the NYS AEMT curriculum.

"While not included in the National EMS Educational Standards, ET was included in the NY AEMT curriculum, apparently a holdover from the EMT-Intermediate level of care. This revelation both surprised and perplexed those at the meeting. Several regions have not include intubation in their AEMT protocols; the Bureau maintains that material in a curriculum must be taught and tested, regardless of regional authorizations of practice."

My apologies for digging up an old thread, but some may be digging to find this training...

Currently the only two AEMT original programs that I know of being offered in NYS are in Western NY, one at Erie Community College, and the other at Niagara County Community College. Considering at the time of roll-out of the new curriculum 700+ of the 900 EMT-I's were in WREMAC, it does not surprise me that they are the only ones teaching it. The last of a dying breed in NY, and considering the pass/fail rate on the new curriculum is less than desired, I don't foresee a long future for this level of care.