BFD389RET

FDNY deploys 35 IM Team members to assist in the Buffalo region

16 posts in this topic

While I realize that it is important to get the snow off the roof before the temperature warms up, that is a seriously dangerous situation.

I was watching weather channel folks when The storm was raging and They were saying This was fluffy and Unpackable snow which means dry and not water latent... which is a saving grace allowing some time to work at clearing snow loads off especially Flat rooves before they collapse... here On the shoreline of Connecticut last year we as we all recall our "blizzard" which gave us a whopping 18 inchs? we had roof collapses and Cities nearly impassible for days, Nation Guard firefighters came in with specialty fire equiptment in some locations.... the issues here, then where nothing Compared to Greater Buffalo ( and similar areas) which suffer these lake affect snows... This weekend while its supposted warm up for us, Its supposed to dump some Rain and More SNow out that way ..... which is not good at all.... Some of the photos comming out of the area are amazing when you consider it was basicly a single storm... The snow Map is crazy below .. lol

post-20741-0-98017100-1416603461.jpg

x635 likes this

Have any local Hudson Valley area emergency services resources been deployed upstate or placed on standby yet? Someone had mentioned that Westchester DES has specified criteria and queried units for standby for possible deployment, but I haven't seen anything official yet.

I know that numerous DOT resources have been dispatched already to remove snow and clear roads. Did DSNY (NYC Sanitation) send any snow removal equipment?

Is FDNY being deployed more for the potential that there's going to be some massive flooding and they're going to need lots of help and different types of equipment, like evacuation trucks and dewatering pumps.....which FDNY has gotten lots of recently as part of post-Sandy grants and preparations.

I don't know about Hudson Valley but I know some Long Island and Connecticut resources have been deployed

While I realize that it is important to get the snow off the roof before the temperature warms up, that is a seriously dangerous situation.

Not really, falling off the roof is only a two foot drop at this point... Haha

BFD389RET and AFS1970 like this

MA DOT is sending 12 crews and I believe 20 pieces of equipment to help also.

x635 likes this

Not really, falling off the roof is only a two foot drop at this point... Haha

actually the Rear looks like it could be painful the front who knows You might sink the whole 15 feet Ugh!!

x635 likes this

Have any local Hudson Valley area emergency services resources been deployed upstate or placed on standby yet? Someone had mentioned that Westchester DES has specified criteria and queried units for standby for possible deployment, but I haven't seen anything official yet.

I know that numerous DOT resources have been dispatched already to remove snow and clear roads. Did DSNY (NYC Sanitation) send any snow removal equipment?

Is FDNY being deployed more for the potential that there's going to be some massive flooding and they're going to need lots of help and different types of equipment, like evacuation trucks and dewatering pumps.....which FDNY has gotten lots of recently as part of post-Sandy grants and preparations.

Seth,

FDNY's page Only stated They were going (as I posted) the members & rigs In the rest area (?) are the All wheel trucks That Were from "SANDY" .....

Here are some more cool pics from the region

http://chicagofirewire.com/best-photos-buffalo-new-york-winter-storm/

x635 likes this

There have been and continue to be deployments from the Capital Region. One department in our county sent their Argo and 3 guys. Another sent a Polaris off-road vehicle and men as well.

x635 likes this

Connecticut's NBC 30

had posted this, this am, re: Conn DOT crews working with equiptment (we dont often see) (triaxle dumps, V Plows, and Snow blowers, Oh my!! they must be from The Airport in Windsor Locks/Litchfield County

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Connecticut-DOT-Crews-Work-Round-the-Clock-in-New-York-283562021.html

x635 likes this

FDNY deployed their IMT, not operational units, so I think they're just going for management support.

EDIT: They are also sending a 45 member special operations contingent so they will be doing more than just support.

Edited by Dinosaur
x635 likes this

From Fairview (Greenburgh) FD Facebook page:

Today we received an official request to respond to the Buffalo, NY area to help a community in need. Our firefighters are humbled by the opportunity to help make a difference. Right now our firefighters, who are trained in collapse operations, are on the road to Buffalo with fellow firefighters from Hartsdale, Greenville, White Plains, and Yonkers answering the call.

FDNY deployed their IMT, not operational units, so I think they're just going for management support.

EDIT: They are also sending a 45 member special operations contingent so they will be doing more than just support.

As Dinosaur stated ...

"FDNY is sending 41 members of Special Operations Command to Buffalo to help the city after record snowfall " http://t.co/L9TYfPvXpt

post-20741-0-28234500-1416726865.jpg

post-20741-0-25269300-1416726873.jpg

Nysdot plow drivers assisted an ambulance with young girl in I r after the ambulance. And plow got stuck I n the 8 ft. Of snow carried the girl to the hospital in the snow their actions saved her life 1 mile to hospital

Nysdot plow drivers assisted an ambulance with young girl in I r after the ambulance. And plow got stuck I n the 8 ft. Of snow carried the girl to the hospital in the snow their actions saved her life 1 mile to hospital