Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LEGENDARYDOM83

City of New Rochelle - Firefighter

20 posts in this topic

Nice to see some Municipalities still hold the Bar high for hiring and won't hire pos! I still say Departments should require a candidate to know how to swim especially New Ro! Never understood why they got rid if that part of the Agility?

Nice to see some Municipalities still hold the Bar high for hiring and won't hire pos! I still say Departments should require a candidate to know how to swim especially New Ro! Never understood why they got rid if that part of the Agility?

Because the Federal courts said so

Anybody know how far New Rochelle got down their list with the last hiring they did ? If they didn't get very far I doubt it'd be worth it for non-residents like me too even test.

Anybody know how far New Rochelle got down their list with the last hiring they did ? If they didn't get very far I doubt it'd be worth it for non-residents like me too even test.

I'm wondering the same thing. =\ I understand the residency thing but damn it sucks!

Does anybody know how much the exam is? Just want a heads up before I pick up an app.

Does anybody know how much the exam is? Just want a heads up before I pick up an app.

$25

i do believe that is the same day as the county is giving the firefighter test what do you do if you want to take both exams

i do believe that is the same day as the county is giving the firefighter test what do you do if you want to take both exams

According to the application for the Westchester exam, applicants can sign up for multiple tests and take them at one testing location. A cross filing form must be filled out and sent to the county no less than 2 weeks before the test. Now thats the county's policy, not sure exactly what NR does.... they decided to leave out a bit of important information it seems.

No online application, forms must be picked up in person. No notification of what the application costs until you show up in person to get it. No information on exam reciprocity while the exam was posted after Westchester filing closed. And while those of us who've tested before know what "preference" means (a NR list and an others list), there's no real explanation of what "preference" means. They know who they want to hire, but they still want those donations from suburban kids looking to get hired.

According to the application for the Westchester exam, applicants can sign up for multiple tests and take them at one testing location. A cross filing form must be filled out and sent to the county no less than 2 weeks before the test. Now thats the county's policy, not sure exactly what NR does.... they decided to leave out a bit of important information it seems.

No online application, forms must be picked up in person. No notification of what the application costs until you show up in person to get it. No information on exam reciprocity while the exam was posted after Westchester filing closed. And while those of us who've tested before know what "preference" means (a NR list and an others list), there's no real explanation of what "preference" means. They know who they want to hire, but they still want those donations from suburban kids looking to get hired.

Preference "means" don't waste your time if you don't live in New Rochelle. But they are allowing you to take it which is good for testing experience.$25 to see what the test contains for future reference when you may be in a better position to get hired somewhere else. I think it's worth it.

Edited by PHIL78

Do you have to take a test to get this job?

FirNaTine likes this

Do you have to take a test to get this job?

Welcome to the northeast where you have to take a test for any civil service job

1) No online application, forms must be picked up in person.

2) No notification of what the application costs until you show up in person to get it.

3) No information on exam reciprocity while the exam was posted after Westchester filing closed.

4) And while those of us who've tested before know what "preference" means (a NR list and an others list), there's no real explanation of what "preference" means. They know who they want to hire, but they still want those donations from suburban kids looking to get hired.

1) Wrong. From the city website:

FILING PROCEDURE: In order to be a candidate for FIREFIGHTER for the City of New Rochelle, you must appear IN PERSON AT THE CITY HALL LOCATION WITH PROPER PHOTO I.D. AND DOCUMENTATION TO PROVE RESIDENCY. NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED THROUGH THE MAIL. IT WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU AND WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED UNLESS YOU APPEAR IN THE CIVIL SERVICE OFFICE PRIOR TO THE CLOSE OF THE APPLICATION PERIOD.

You may obtain an application by sending a stamped legal sized self-addressed envelope to the New Rochelle Civil Service Office, City Hall, 515 North Avenue, New Rochelle, New York 10801. You may also pick up an application at any of the locations listed below:

Yes their is no online "application" they want it filled out in your own hand.

2) You know how I found out, I went to the city website and looked at the actual announcement, It says it for all to see. Again a little bit more effort than just looking at the modified version on EMTBravo. It also gives test suggestions.

3) Again from the NR website: APPLYING FOR CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATIONS IN MULTIPLE JURISDICTIONS WHEN EXAMINATIONS

ARE SCHEDULED ON THE SAME DATE: If you have applied for any other civil service examination for employment with New York State or any other local government jurisdiction, you must make arrangements to take all the examinations at one test site. If you have applied for both STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT EXAMINATIONS, you must make arrangements to take all your examinations at the STATE examination center. If you have applied for other local government examinations, call or write to each Civil Service agency to make arrangements. You must make your request for these arrangements no later than three weeks before the date of the examination. You must notify all local government civil service agencies with which you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination(s). For this examination, call (914) 654-2171 or write to New Rochelle Civil Service Commission at the address on page 1.

4) from the website: RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Candidates must be legal residents of Westchester County for at least three continuous months immediately preceding the date of the written examination and continuously through date of appointment. Preference in appointment WILL be given to successful candidates who have been legal residents of the City of New Rochelle for at least three months immediately preceding the date of the written examination and continuously through date of appointment. A CANDIDATES RESIDENCY WILL BE INVESTIGATED AND VERIFIED BEFORE APPOINTMENT.

That explains it. And its not "They know who they want to hire, but they still want those donations from suburban kids looking to get hired." Also from the website:

The application and appointment procedure has been prepared in accordance with terms of proposed consent judgments in the cases of Vulcan Society, et al, vs. Fire Department, et al., and United States vs. New York State Civil Service Commission, et al., in Federal District Court, So. District of New York.

You want to be a firefighter, show some initiative. I got all this info in 10 minutes from the city's website with no "inside knowledge" of the job.

Nothing about compensation? What's the pay-scale these days?

Nothing about compensation? What's the pay-scale these days?

SALARY: 2015 SALARY $39,543 – $87,312