Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Duration To Hold A FAST Unit

4 posts in this topic

I can't seem to remember the "proper" answer.....does the FAST get held until suppression operations are over, or until the last firefighter leaves the structure after salvage/overhaul?

I don't know the answer either, but I would prefer that FAST sticks around until after overhaul is complete. The structure is quite compromised at this point, and it's nice to have some extra people in place in case something does happen.

nydude2473, PCFD ENG58 and x635 like this

I thought it was until there is no longer an IDLH atmosphere, which is why Safety Officers actually have to go into the building to evaluate. That being said, I think there are many hazards that are still present even when the air is breathable, but these standards have their root in respiratory standards.

I once saw a Safety Officer go inside with no helmet, he had a pack but not wearing the mask, and he was metering the air telling other guys to mask up it wasn't safe yet. So maybe that's not the best way to see how long to hold FAST.

dwcfireman and Bnechis like this

The problem I see is too many people use the FAST as their reserve company and don't have more people waiting in staging to go to work.

People gotta stop calling just enough to barely get it done and call enough to get it done safely and efficiently.

nydude2473, sjc317, AFS1970 and 1 other like this