x635

LaGuardia Airport (Queens) - Plane Off Runway With Fuel Leak 3-5-15

8 posts in this topic

Date: 3-5-15
Time: 11:10hrs
District: Port Authority

Weather: Heavy snow and ice
Units: FDNY, PAPD, PAPD*ARFF

Description: Delta Airlines MD-88 Flight 1086 with 125 passengers and 5 crew on board skidded off runway while landing in snowy conditions on Runway 13. PAPD reporting all passengers evacuated, no serious injuries reported. Approx 300 gallon jet fuel leak from plane. 10-86 (fluoroprotein foam) operation in effect . Numerous FDNY Foam and specialized units enroute.

Updates:

11:40hrs Battalion 49 reporting fuel leak contained and covered in foam. Still 10-80 Code 1 (Hazmat assignment needing additional specialized units not already on scene)

Writer: x635

So, why does FDNY come in and use flouroprotein foam when PAPD ARFF has more than plenty of the FAA FAR139 required AFFF?

Primary function of FDNY is water supply at aircraft incidents. They are also responsible for all structural incidents on property.

Once life safety priorities and extinguishment are accomplished by PAPD, the incident then becomes structural until the NTSB commences with the investigation.

ref: 10th ed. FDNY operational reference

Not so sure how the new ARFF guys fit into this plan as of yet.

Stay safe.

EmsFirePolice and x635 like this

Primary function of FDNY is water supply at aircraft incidents......

I understand FDNY's major role in the Port Authority's Emergency Response Plans, as it's extremely similar to HPN's. I love knowing that I'm going to have a water source and manpower coming in when my tank is just about empty and rescue efforts need to begin. It's just the foam part that's boggling me. Why does FDNY come in with the "wrong" type of foam (and I mean wrong as in something other than prescribed in the federal aviation regulations)?

I understand FDNY's major role in the Port Authority's Emergency Response Plans, as it's extremely similar to HPN's. I love knowing that I'm going to have a water source and manpower coming in when my tank is just about empty and rescue efforts need to begin. It's just the foam part that's boggling me. Why does FDNY come in with the "wrong" type of foam (and I mean wrong as in something other than prescribed in the federal aviation regulations)?

Could it be that once the plane was evacuated and the response changed from "ARFF" to "Haz-Mat" they used the preferred foam for the City? I'm just spit-balling here.

And doesn't AC 150/5210-6D say you can use the FDNY type of foam as well?

Could it be that once the plane was evacuated and the response changed from "ARFF" to "Haz-Mat" they used the preferred foam for the City? I'm just spit-balling here.

And doesn't AC 150/5210-6D say you can use the FDNY type of foam as well?

It might say that. I haven't read that AC in about 6 years haha (For those who are not familiar with FAA Advisory Circulars, they're just as dry and boring to read as NFPA's). I would figure that the PAPD ARFF rigs would have enough AFFF to mitigate the fuel spill long before FDNY arrives. Striker 1500's carry 210 gal of AFFF, and the 3000's carry 420 gal.

It might say that. I haven't read that AC in about 6 years haha (For those who are not familiar with FAA Advisory Circulars, they're just as dry and boring to read as NFPA's). I would figure that the PAPD ARFF rigs would have enough AFFF to mitigate the fuel spill long before FDNY arrives. Striker 1500's carry 210 gal of AFFF, and the 3000's carry 420 gal.

Might it be that they try to retain that for firefighting and let the FDNY use theirs for spills?

dwcfireman likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0