Dinosaur

Consolidation

4 posts in this topic

If there's one area screaming for consolidation, it's school districts.

Read below:

http://www.lohud.com/story/money/personal-finance/taxes/david-mckay-wilson/2015/03/26/high-paid-school-administrators-lewisboro/70501246/

Over 55 million dollars being spent for 332 "administrators" (who probably never see the classroom) in 53 distinct, autonomous school districts serving 1.2 million students. Some districts ridiculously small but still paying their administrators more than State Education officials.

Ging599 likes this

Agreed and sadly its more likely that fire depts. will consolidate (if ever) before schools and that's because: "I don't want my kid going to the same school as _______"

islander and GAW6 like this

As a teacher...agreed 100% on both previous posts. Sadly, there's a new teacher evaluation that's coming out soon (as part of the new state budget deal...?...) that's going to require teacher evaluations from administrators from within the school as well as from outside the school (another building, another districti, or an "independent evaluator"). There will be even more paperwork for the administrators to do next year. Think the administrators are going away? My evaluations take about a month to get back to me as it is now...

And Dinosaur...they do see the inside of a classroom...2x per year for me for observations and the occasional pop-in to get a student. [kidding, of course...I got your point]

We have state mandated school consolidation in Maine. It's been a nightmare. So far they've proven the costs do not go down. As long as school budgets get passed without any opposition, the costs will never be controlled. Maybe it can work where there are greater numbers in a smaller geographical area, but we've seen numerous consolidated districts falling apart since the mandate.

Here's a timely headline today http://bangordailynews.com/2015/04/03/news/midcoast/rockland-board-rep-suggests-city-should-separate-from-school-district/?ref=regionmidcoast

This has also contrbuted to the difficulting in studying regionalization of emergency services as the two largest local examples are the schools and dispatch centers, neither which are cheaper or better after consilidation.

Edited by antiquefirelt