Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

2014 WCDES Annual Report

15 posts in this topic

More Chiefs then indians, no?

According to a source, 60 Control has steadily increased their workload almost 75% over the past decade - and hasn't increased their staffing.

It's a ticking time bomb and their "Director" has his hand on the detonator and the Commissioner does nothing about it.

Other than adding people in every unit except comms and buying millions of dollars worth of dust-collecting toys, what has changed for the better?!

A lot of the equipment is purchased with grant money. And to be honest, isn't it better that most of it isn't deployed, considering if it is that would mean a disaster has occurred?

Better to be prepared then get caught with their pants down, no?

PC_420 and WFDC4 like this

A lot of the equipment is purchased with grant money. And to be honest, isn't it better that most of it isn't deployed, considering if it is that would mean a disaster has occurred?

Just because you CAN buy something with grant money, doesn't necessarily mean you should. Look at the disastrous Mass Decontamination Trailer CT purchased. One truck and trailer for every municipality with a hospital and an airport. Trailers kept breaking down, company that manufactured/maintained them went out of business. Now, 10 years later, the regional committees are purchasing inflatable decon tents for a fraction of the price. Sure they aren't as sexy looking as the big red trailers and spare rescue trucks "Prime Movers" that everyone got at first, but the tents are a much better use of taxpayer dollars.

Of course there should be a (reasonable) cache of disaster equipment, but if we have trouble providing basic emergency services to the people we're supposed to serve, how are we going to perform in disaster conditions?

Since the money is starting to dry up, people are starting to make wiser choices. But just after 9/11 it was basically a free-for-all and from what I saw in the emergency preparedness community in CT, there were a lot of projects that got funded in the name of the next catastrophe that will never be truly useful.

Edited by SageVigiles
AFS1970 and Disaster_Guy like this

I don't know much about the CT stuff, but I do have a decent knowledge of the Westchester resources. I do agree that post-9/11 everyone got grant money to fund all kinds of stuff. With Westchester being on NYC's boarder, and given the amount of high profile targets here, I'm not against being prepared for the worst case scenario.

As for the training, staffing, upkeep, etc. of all of this stuff - not my place to comment. I have no involvement with anything other then taking requests for resources and sending them. I, personally, hope that it all rots away and never gets used with the exception of the occasional drill or demonstration.

I believe he meant deployed out to agencies as opposed to being centrally located with no personnel to operate them.

How many of the 5 NYS Decon Trailers that Westchester got and were to be deployed to different areas are still deployed? I know one was refused by the 5 depts. in its town. Another was returned. If they are still at DES they are of no use without a dozen or more trained members per unit.

Just because you CAN buy something with grant money, doesn't necessarily mean you should. Look at the disastrous Mass Decontamination Trailer CT purchased. One truck and trailer for every municipality with a hospital and an airport. Trailers kept breaking down, company that manufactured/maintained them went out of business. Now, 10 years later, the regional committees are purchasing inflatable decon tents for a fraction of the price. Sure they aren't as sexy looking as the big red trailers and spare rescue trucks "Prime Movers" that everyone got at first, but the tents are a much better use of taxpayer dollars.

Funny, we wanted trailers but could not afford them, so we went with the tents. NYC did both. Most places have found while the tents are cheaper, they take more manpower to operate and they do not process as many people per hour.

16fire5 likes this

According to a source, 60 Control has steadily increased their workload almost 75% over the past decade - and hasn't increased their staffing.

Is there even space in the room to add more dispatchers if they were hired? Are there grants being applied to for 60?

Is there even space in the room to add more dispatchers if they were hired? Are there grants being applied to for 60?

The current radio room has seven positions. There was talk about a renovation / upgrade over a year ago, but none of us have heard anything recently.

I believe he meant deployed out to agencies as opposed to being centrally located with no personnel to operate them.

How many of the 5 NYS Decon Trailers that Westchester got and were to be deployed to different areas are still deployed? I know one was refused by the 5 depts. in its town. Another was returned. If they are still at DES they are of no use without a dozen or more trained members per unit.

No idea. I do phones & tones for a living... LOL.

Bnechis likes this

No information on responses or actual use of any of the equipment showcased in this PR document. Is the use of all these millions a good return on investment or is it just squandered on today's ideas but no long-term planning based on realistic risk assessments or credible, factual information?

Lacks lots of substance!

calhobs likes this

the report did not list each department dispatched run totals that's what I wanted to see

dwcfireman likes this

the report did not list each department dispatched run totals that's what I wanted to see

That would be something nice to see in the report. Further, a break down of what types of apparatus responded to certain types of incidents throughout the year (including county owned apparatus). It would be fun statistics to look at, but it might make people bring up that evil "C" word that no body like *insert evil laugh here.*

BFD1054 and mamaro40 like this