SQDBOSS

Yonkers FD Station 1 Condemned

19 posts in this topic

With the News 12 report of HQ being condemned and vacated as per the City Engineer as of 0800 this morning. Can anyone shed light as to where the companies were relocated?

Westfield12 likes this

71 to Station 3 on Vark St off Riverdale. R1 to Station 7 on Central Pk Ave. opposite the raceway

Westfield12 likes this

lohud.com says rescue 1 is going to station 8 which makes more sense. This way you have Squad 11 on the east side of the city and the rescue on the west.

Westfield12 likes this

This situation must be cumulative of issues that were building. Is this relocate a short term thing? Are their plans to repair the station, or plans for a new firehouse?

And how will this affect response times, especially for the rescue, in the interim?

Westfield12 likes this

I used to do service work in that firehouse I highly doubt the city is gonna rehab that building it was pretty rough then and that's going back 15 years ago.

Westfield12 likes this

There's a rally tonight at the Rescue 1 firehouse to keep the firehouse opened.. The public is invited to attend, this starts at 630pm

Westfield12 likes this

Like Lad45der said above, i suspect, despite how much history is within this building, that the cost to renovate and repair the building 100% (and not just a "Patch Job", which makes no sense at all) will be far greater than to tear it down and build a new Fire Headquarters (Station 1). I am sure that given the emotions of the late Patrick Joyce having worked out of this building, as part of Rescue 1 and the memory of FF Joyce being memorialized within this building, will play heavily in the hearts of those attending the rally this evening. But, I feel that it will eventually come down to what will make more financial sense to the city. (Some might say that there was historical sentiments and reasoning why the city should not have condemned and closed Station 2 on Vineyard Avenue back in the 1980's or when they condemned and closed the Old Station 8 on Warburton Avenue back in the 1970's, or when they condemned and closed Station 3 on Riverdale Avenue back in the late 1960's, but I presume that it made sense financially to build new firehouses for Station 3 and Station 8 rather than renovate the existing structures).

Sadly, all of these years of neglect by the City's Building Department, has resulted in what everyone is facing today. If the City had allocated funding, as far back as the late 1970's to help preserve this grand old building, then we would not be in the position that the city is in today.

Dinosaur and Westfield12 like this

All are welcome to come out and support our brother Ff's and Officers of Station 1, to show them how important Station 1 is to the YFD and the community it serves. Encourage family and friends to join the UFOA and L-628 tonight at 6:30 pm, outside of The BIG House at 7 New School St.

Westfield12 likes this

Good for the brothers of Yonkers the city is taking care of their men unlike my city.

One way to look at it...the other could be that a building had to fall apart for the city to replace it...literally.

SageVigiles and Westfield12 like this

One way to look at it...the other could be that a building had to fall apart for the city to replace it...literally.

Exactly.

What a shame they let our 88-year old FH fall apart. It was built to last, but......you have to maintain it!

Westfield12 likes this

Rescue is going to 8

Actually, after only 30 days at Station 8, YFD decided to move Rescue 1 to Station 7 on CPA (probably, because it was a more 'Centralized' location for dispatch across the entire city, from Yonkers Fire Stations with 2 bays, and 1 of which is not currently primarily used.

Westfield12 likes this

Exactly.

What a shame they let our 88-year old FH fall apart. It was built to last, but......you have to maintain it!

It's a shame man....they don't build them like they used to and all it takes is a little preventative maintenance. My FH is over 100 years old...needs a lot of TLC, and it bothers me that they keep simply patching it together....

Just needs a little bit of love, but no one cares.....and we all know that whatever they build now will be some cold/sterile P.O.S.

Westfield12 likes this