NorthEndExpress

Study: Tax Savings and Economic Value of Volunteer Firefighters in New York

31 posts in this topic

Yes Alex, we are friends. You are young and I am old. You have a college degree and I don't have a college degree. You live in Va and I live in Ct. You are a volunteer firefighter and I was a career firefighter. Yet despite all those differences, we are still friends. The reason for that is we have one thing in common. The fact that we are both into this fire department crap. That's why we are here posting what we think. That's why so many here have an interest in this. All for the same reason.

Yet, despite our differences, we both enjoy serving the public within the duties of a firefighter. Would I have liked to have you as an extra rider on an engine co ? Of course I would. You probably know your stuff due to the fact that you are a part of one of the busiest volunteer companies in the country. Do I think you would you have liked to ride an engine with me ? My guess is that you probably would have. I enjoy being busy and I'm addicted to this stuff.

The point here is, can career and volunteer firefighters be together in the same firehouse serving the same people. Based on myself and Alex here, "I think so", despite our huge differences.

I hope that I am around, to see younger leaders of the fire service straighten out this mess and put those self serving egos aside to do what is best for the people we serve. It can be done and has been done. We are just a couple of decades behind.

And when it comes to money, comparing PG County to Fairfax County is very similar to comparing the economies of Westchester, NY to Norwich, Ct. Only about 100 miles apart but what a different world it is. There may be mansions in Westchester, NY but there are no mansions in Norwich, Ct.

Therefore with the income of Westchester, maybe it should model itself after Fairfax County. And with the income of the Norwich, Ct area, maybe they should model themselves after the PG County FD.

Average yearly income for 2013:

Westchester, NY - $84,896 Fairfax County - $112,021

Norwich, Ct - $45,896 PG County - $88.180

Edited by nfd2004