WHarley3

Putnam County’s most modern fire truck arrives in Carmel

12 posts in this topic

Putnam County’s most modern fire truck arrives in Carmel

From MidHudson News

CARMEL – A $1.3 million 2016 Ferrara fire truck rolled into Carmel Thursday evening for much fanfare.

The vehicle, which replaces a 2000 American LaFrance truck, is now the premier firefighting vehicle of the Carmel Fire Department.

Fire Chief Vincent Ruggiero said the new tower ladder vehicle is equipped with a 100-foot rear mount ladder, a 2,000 gallon-per-minute pumper and a 400-gallon tank. He said the truck will be able to handle “any type of fire anywhere within the region.”

The new vehicle was manufactured in Louisiana and driven to Carmel.

PHOTO: Neville Apparatus Corp

post-252-0-02098900-1454807577.jpg

Westfield12 and JP59 like this

It is an interesting variation on the Chicago paint scheme, and yes, it would be interesting to know why the cost was $1.3M unless it was just a matter of taking delivery of both a 100' TL and a 2000 gpm pumper on a single chassis.

And, this is not directed at Carmel specifically, but volunteer departments in general. If you can't be be confident about turnout for any given call and how many and which of your apparatus might be getting on the road, should it be an apparatus like this that can do double duty as ladder and engine. Is there any data on departments replacing their dedicated ladders with combination ladder/pump and changing their response protocols to put these apparatus on the road as first due?

Westfield12 likes this

I always wondered what was the point of having a ladder truck with its own pump and a tank.
Are the added cost and weight on the truck worth it?
I have no idea how much this cost extra, but I doubt it is a nominal fee.

Plenty of places use trucks with no pumping capacity and no water tank. Why do some have no pump/tank?
Is there a big advantage to combining the pump/ladder?

Edited by 10512
SageVigiles and AFS1970 like this

I'm also curious to know what makes this rig able to handle "any type of fire anywhere within the region".

$1.3 million, as expensive as it sounds, is what a Tower Ladder with those options are going for these days. Considering they expect to get 30 years out of the truck, that's pretty economical. They also got some trade in from the old ladder. Plus, Carmel does see a decent amount of fire duty each year.

However, all Putnam County Departments have Towers, and most surround Carmel. Brewster, Patterson, and Mahopac. There's not a straight stick and all, and no ladder whatsoever on the east side of the county, although I think Mahopac Falls, Lake Carmel, and Putnam Valley all have them in their long term plans. I would link someone would want to fill this niche, especially with the narrow and windy roads and long driveways in Putnam.

The Quint debate can go on forever. I think, for this actual department and what I know about the, that this truck will fit their diverse community needs. In the tight areas of Putnam, the first due has to get close to the scene, especially in tight areas, and having that Quint first due allows it to get to the fire scene before it gets trapped in by hose and a tanker shuttle.

The only thin I question is the black ladder, not just on this truck but many others. I wonder about it's visibility at night and smoke. Other then that, I love the paint scheme!

Can't wait to photograph it.

Westfield12 likes this

Agreed.....the price of a well equipped tower ladder surpassed the million dollar mark the better part of a decade ago. That shouldn't be news now.

Congrats to the Carmel FD on your new delivery. Hope it performs as well as it looks, and serves you well for many years.......and everyone who rides out on it comes home safely.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind if it found itself in front of my camera some day, either. ;)

Westfield12 likes this

x636 wrote: In the tight areas of Putnam, the first due has to get close to the scene, especially in tight areas, and having that Quint first due allows it to get to the fire scene before it gets trapped in by hose and a tanker shuttle.

Responses in Carmel prior to this rig was always an Engine was first out the door. Even when their last Ladder was in service, the ladder was not the first one to roll.

Unless Carmel is changing their response policy, I do not think this is the first due rig. I have not heard of this truck will be used as a Quint.
I could be wrong, does anyone know if this will be the case?

Edited by 10512
Westfield12 likes this

Responses in Carmel prior to this rig was always an Engine was first out the door. Even when their last Ladder was in service, the ladder was not the first one to roll.

Unless Carmel is changing their response policy, I do not think this is the first due rig. I have not heard of this truck will be used as a Quint.

I could be wrong, does anyone know if this will be the case?

You'd think with a Quint setup like this you'd want it to be first due. But I'm not familiar with Carmel's ops.

What's the weight of the new truck?

Can all the old bridges in Putnam handle it?