Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

New York State Police Rank Structure

15 posts in this topic

Hello all, I know there are a few (at least) state troopers on here, and I was wondering what all the different Sergeant & Lieutenant ranks mean. (This is from Wikipedia) Thanks.

Lieutenant

Technical Lieutenant

Chief Technical Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

First Sergeant

Zone Sergeant

Sergeant Station Commander

Technical Sergeant

Sergeant

Hello all, I know there are a few (at least) state troopers on here, and I was wondering what all the different Sergeant & Lieutenant ranks mean. (This is from Wikipedia) Thanks.

Lieutenant

Technical Lieutenant

Chief Technical Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

First Sergeant

Zone Sergeant

Sergeant Station Commander

Technical Sergeant

Sergeant

This requires a rather lengthy complicated answer, but I'll try to sum it up.

Sergeant: Just your traditional Sergeant as you know them commonly. Now the NYSP doesn't have "Patrol Sergeants" or "Desk Sergeants." They are really administrative positions only, and if you seem them in the field, it is most likely because they are responding to a large scale incident, or overseeing a detail. They do not patrol. Sergeants have permanent rank based on a competitive test.

Technical Sergeants: These are appointments to positions which require some unique skill or expertise. Technical Sergeants either have the permanent rank of Sergeant, or in many cases have the Permanent rank of Trooper. However, a Trooper who is appointed a Technical Sergeant receives all the benefits of a permanent rank of Sergeant.

Sergeant/Station Commander: Highest ranking Sergeant in each Barracks. Not always the most senior Sergeant.

Zone Sergeant: Sergeants who oversee a Zone. The state is divided into Troops, then subdivided into Zones. Usually 3-4 Zone Sergeants per Zone.

First Sergeant: Highest ranking Sergeant in a Troop. Only one per Troop.

Chief Technical Sergeant: Usually assigned to a technical position. For instance, the highest ranking NCO of the TTMC is a Chief Technical Sergeant.

Staff Sergeant: High ranking administrative Sergeant. Could be assigned to any office at Division HQ in Albany.

Lieutenant: Member who has passed the competitive testing process and has the permanent rank of Lieutenant.

Technical Lieutenant: This is someone who may either have the permanent rank of Lieutenant or the permanent rank of Sergeant, and has been appointed to a technical/expertise position where they had unique skills.

Also, in the NYSP, once you receive the permanent rank of Sergeant, if you are an Investigator in the BCI, you can opt to remain in the BCI with the title “Investigator”, while having the permanent rank of Sergeant. This differs from most agencies where when a Detective is promoted to Sergeant, they go back into uniform.

Again, as I mentioned, this is a very, very brief explanation. It’s a little more in depth, but you get the point.

Wow, I actually did not know that NYSP had that many specialized Sergeant ranks/positions... Good post, thanks for the info.

Don't stop there INIT, you're on a roll...

Then you have...

CAPTAIN

INSPECTOR ??? Is this rank used in the SP

MAJOR

DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT

SUPERINTENDENT

...right???

And if a SGT and Technical SGT are on the same scene, is it the SGT who's in charge?

Just as an FYI, Connecticut State Police Rank Structure goes as follows:

Colonel/Deputy Commissioner

Lt. Colonel

Major

Captain (I think this is used?)

Lieutenant

Master Sergeant

Sergeant

Trooper First Class

Trooper

Don't stop there INIT, you're on a roll...

Then you have...

CAPTAIN

INSPECTOR ??? Is this rank used in the SP

MAJOR

DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT

SUPERINTENDENT

...right???

And if a SGT and Technical SGT are on the same scene, is it the SGT who's in charge?

Yes Chris,

Captain (Appointment, no test) are Detail and Zone Commanders.

Majors (Appointment, no test) are Troop and Detail Commanders.

Then Staff Inspectors are above Majors.

Then you have Assistant Deputy Superintendents (aka Lt. Colonels)

Then you have Deputy Superintendents (aka Colonels)

Then you have a First Deputy Superintendent and finally, the Superintendent.

It would actually be rare to have a Tech Sgt at a scene, and often a Sergeant would outrank him/her, but there are a significant number of possible exceptions to that rule.

sean you forgot investigator lol

Yes, in the middle of all that, you have Investigators who are equal in rank and pay to a Sergeant. About 50% of Investigators have the permanent rank of Sergeant.

And you have Senior Investigators, who are equal in rank and pay to First Sergeants.

Additionally, every Investigator, Senior Investigator, Lt, Capt, Major, Staff Inspector, Lt Colonel, Colonel, and Superintendent have take home cars.

That's in addition to selected Sgts and Troopers who are in special details, i.e. SWAT, K9, and others.

Just as an FYI, Connecticut State Police Rank Structure goes as follows:

Colonel/Deputy Commissioner

Lt. Colonel

Major

Captain (I think this is used?)

Lieutenant

Master Sergeant

Sergeant

Trooper First Class

Trooper

I do not think the Colonel is really considered a Deputy Commissioner or at least the commissioners were appointments by the governor who were not affiliated with CSP. I could be wrong on that.

Colonel - Head of CSP

Lt. Colonel "aka Light Col" - second in charge (I believe there are three LT. Col.s)

Captain - District Commander [Western District includes Troops A, G, L & B, Central includes F, I, H, W and HQ and Eastern includes C, D, E & K]

Lieutenant - CO of the Troop / Special Services / Asst. District Commander et. al.

Master Sergeant - XO of the Troop / Special Services

Sergeant - Platoon Leader (all divisions)

Trooper First Class - ranking trooper with seven years of service or more.

Trooper - completes FTO and has less than seven years of service.

"Boot" - recruit

That's all I can remember for the rank and file for CSP.

What does a Staff Inspector do?

Ranking members of IAB sections, Narcotics sections, Employee Relations office, and a few others. They rank just above a Major, and just below a Lt. Colonel/Asst. Deputy Supt.

It would actually be rare to have a Tech Sgt at a scene, and often a Sergeant would outrank him/her, but there are a significant number of possible exceptions to that rule.

I would hope that common sense would prevail. If the detail was specific to the Tech Sgt's area of expertise, then they should take the command role. Sometimes T/Sgt's also hold the rank of Sgt, as I know at least one of the pilots for Lifeguard at SWF did.

I would hope that common sense would prevail. If the detail was specific to the Tech Sgt's area of expertise, then they should take the command role. Sometimes T/Sgt's also hold the rank of Sgt, as I know at least one of the pilots for Lifeguard at SWF did.

I agree, and I mentioned both those points already. Many T/Sgts have the permenant rank of Sgt, and there are many exceptions where a T/Sgt could be in command.

Additionally, every Investigator, Senior Investigator, Lt, Capt, Major, Staff Inspector, Lt Colonel, Colonel, and Superintendent have take home cars.

Do you know what type of vehicles they use for take-home units? Marked or unmarked?

Do you know what type of vehicles they use for take-home units? Marked or unmarked?

All unmarked.