Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50-65

Emergency Responders to Pay Thruway Tolls

35 posts in this topic

So let me get this straight - a crew from tarrytown responds to a crash or a jumper on the tappan zee and they have to pay for the honor of responding? how about the state issue easy passes and just doesnt charge them period? what a joke. If this is a miscommunication, maybe thruway should send out a corrected letter. While I don't advocate gate crashing, I most definitely DO NOT advocate delaying patient care, transport, etc

Edited by joetnymedic

http://freemanonline.com/articles/2012/06/22/news/doc4fe3d6244a337278935304.txt

New York Thruway Authority officials on Thursday clarified a policy that allows emergency vehicles responding to calls or transporting patients to use the superhighway toll-free or receive refunds if they inadvertently are required to pay at a toll booth.

R.W. Groneman, a spokesman for the authority, said a letter was sent Wednesday to emergency service providers statewide to clarify an earlier notification that apparently was misunderstood by some emergency services crews and news agencies.

In a related vane....

Back in the early 90's I was involved in a vehicle chase from the Bronx into Westchester County. I was probably 0300 hours or so and the chase went up I-95 through the New Rochelle Toll plaza. We lost the vehicle shortly after that and we were returning to the Bronx. As we drove south on the Thruway and entered the Toll Plaza (this was pre-EZ Pass) I pulled up to the toll both clerk and waved and was about to continue my journey back to the Bronx, when the clerk began waving and yelling for me to stop. I did and he requested that I pay the toll. I rolled my window down, stuck my head out and made an exaggerated inspection of my marked unit, looked back at him, pointed to the department logo on the door and told him that they would pay the bill. I then drove away without another word.

It is probably close to 20 years ago and I have yet to hear from them.

Edited by 10512