Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Busy night for Cronomer Valley & Plattekill FD

7 posts in this topic

Double tragedy in the town of Newburgh last evening leaves 2 dead in separate incidents. Just before 17:00 crews responded to a hunting incident where a person was declared DOA with police taking 1 in custody. The Plattekill & Cronomer Valley fire departments assisted the police with crime scene & victim removal.

About 19:00 while still on the first call both departments responded to a boarderline alarm at Rt 32 & Mill St for a serious 2 car mva where they found 1 car split in half with 1 person ejected in traumatic arrest and others trapped. 5 people were transported 1 by Hackensack Air 1 to Westchester Med.

* On Saturday evening both departments also operated at a 1 car mva at Rt 32 & Mill St where the vehicle was unrecognizable and 1 person was ejected a total of 3 were transported from that scene

Two-car crash on Route 32 in Newburgh leaves 1 dead, 4 injured

http://www.recordonl.../NEWS/121119648http://www.recordonl.../NEWS/121119648

Man fatally shoots fellow hunter in Newburgh, police say

http://www.recordonl...1119650/-1/NEWS

BFD1054 likes this

The Mill St & 32 intersection seems to be a death trap. There's always a serious accident there once or twice a month. What's wrong with that section of the road?

Yesterday November 19th 2012, The Plattekill Fire Department was faced with another 2 tragic losses to its community during a time of year that is supposed to be filled with family memories, happy celebrations of what you are thankful for and the anticipation of another great holiday season, but was shattered by 2 separate fatal incidents who had us running on our feet.

I can tell you one thing though; through out my career in the fire service, I had the chance to work with some of the best professionals in the field. For this I am thankful. The 1st incident was difficult, difficult because when you are called to an incident; your mind set tells you what you have to do. Your mind runs through scenarios and ways you can mitigate the situation, quickly and safely as possible…and then you get there. And anyone knows who have had the chance or the job as a commanding officer can tell you everything you could have thought of while en-route WILL be changed in an instant and you must adapt to the current situation at hand. Did we know it was going take so long to get into the scene? No…

Did we think we were going to pull him out quickly and send him off the hospital to get his wounds treated? Yes…

Our members, Cronomer Valley’s members and Clintondales Members treated the scene with respect and professionalism that in my opinion goes unmatched by other incidents I have seen or read about. Again, this is something else I am thankful for… to have an extended family who wants the same professional outcome I do. To Cronomer Valley, Clintondale and Modena FD, I say thank you as once again you have gone above and beyond assisting the Plattekill Fire Department and personally me when I need you most

And then the second incident… it hits Cronomer Valley pagers and you can tell by the sound of the dispatchers voice that this was not going to be an easy incident, period. It rang through the command post like the wind, and people moved and shuffled, all while keeping the integrity of command post in tact. With in minutes our pagers opened up as the request for the Plattekill Stand by’s to respond as part of this MVA is in our district… I can tell you through years of stand by’s in other peoples quarters its not often you catch a fatal incident that you knew from the get go was serious. To our Mutual Aid department stand bys last night, Modena and Orange Lake, thank you for covering us at this one as your help does not go unnoticed. Wallkill and Marlboro thank you for filling in for both incidents… for all of you I am truly grateful.

I have to tell you; lately Cronomer Valley and Plattekill have seen a lot in the last few days, almost like we have become one agency, working together like we are a very well oiled machine. It’s been a rough month for both agencies and all I can say to you is, keep your head up, like I tell our members, we are here to help the community. We are here to help each other. And while doing so, may run across an incident effect you and how you look at things, the people you may help may even be some one you know. I am thankful for the opportunity to work with you guys as we would do anything for you and you have done anything for us.

Car 3

Marlboro was glad to help. And your Ladies Aux made a great dinner!!