Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

NYPD P.O. Eric Hernandez 52nd PCT 2-8-06

20 posts in this topic

P.O. Eric Hernandez, NYPD 52nd PCT

24-years old, just under 2 years on the job.

P.O. Hernandez, White Plains resident, died at 1 P.M. today after being taken off life support at St. Barnabas Hospital. Hernandez was brutaly beaten during a gang assault and then tragically shot by a responding Officer outside a White Castle in Tremont. Hernandez fought for 11 days, through numerous surgeries and an amputation of his leg.

Funeral Information to follow.

I graduated the same year as Eric from Sacred Heart University. Although I did not know him well many of my close friends did. Rest In peace Eric you will always be remebered.

very very sad situation. Prayers to him and his family as well as the other officer envolved. Rest in Peace and God Bless.

I want to start off by saying that this was a horrible string of events that took the life of a young officer. My thoughts and prayers are with his family as they deal with their loss.

Now I know this question is gonna start trouble, but has a final report on what actually happened come out yet?? The reason I am asking this is because on one news broadcast they say that he was "In The Line of Duty", and on another station they said that he was drunk and they segued to a talk about an "Armed while intoxicated" bill... So what was it? I would like to think that the guy went for a burger and the beating messed up his hearing so he didn't hear his fellow officers...but is this why everything went down as it did?

Such as sad situation. May he rest in peace and may God watch over his family.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

That is a bad loss for the police dept. To die at such a young age is for me something I dont like hearing about. This is going to be tough for the family and I feel real bad for the family. This incident should have never happened. My condolences to the family of P.O. Hernandez and to the his fellow officers of the NYCPD

It is with deep sorrow the passing of a fine young man PO Eric Hernandez. Prayers to his family and his extended family NYPD and NYPD Footbal Team.

Lets not dwell on the events leading to, for the time being allow all involved to grieve in their own way.

" May the Road rise to meet you and the wind be always at your back"

RIP brother. I would also like everyone to keep Officer Al Toro, the other officer involved, in their prayers, I can't imagine the grief and suffering he is going through. From what I've heard, he is a stand up guy.

Edited by grumpyff

It is with deep sorrow the passing of a fine young man PO Eric Hernandez.  Prayers to his family and his extended family NYPD and NYPD Footbal Team.

Lets not dwell on the events leading to, for the time being allow all involved to grieve in their own way.

" May the Road rise to meet you and the wind be always at your back"

Your right, lets not dwell. We must also support Al Toro he has much to deal with right now.

My thoughts and prayers go to the Hernandez family , and also to the Officer involved in the shooting. Were with you.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Any funeral arrangements announced yet?

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in our day of battle; protect us against the deceit and wickedness of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray.

And you, O prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God banish into hell Satan and all of the evil spirits who roam through the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

RIP P.O. Hernandez

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

As of today, the funeral is planned for sometime next week. I will post details as soon as I get them.

Sad story RIP. Is the other cop being brought up on chargers or anything.

It is a terrible trajedy, my thoughts and prayers to the families involved.

Sad story RIP. Is the other cop being brought up on chargers or anything.

No. Just doing what he was trained to do.

February 10, 2006

Officer's Uniform Waits in Station House for Last, Sad Duty

By AL BAKER

NYTimes

Officer Eric Hernandez's dress blue uniform has been retrieved from Haig's Cleaners, in Yonkers. His shoes, hat, belt and badge (No. 1872) are being kept in a fellow officer's locker in the 52nd Precinct station house, waiting for the moment they are needed.

Twelve officers have been chosen for an honor guard. Others will stay with his body until it is buried, in that uniform.

Officer Hernandez died on Wednesday from wounds suffered 11 days earlier, when he was shot by another officer after he was beaten by a group of men at a White Castle restaurant.

His funeral will be held at 10 a.m. on Monday at St. Bernard's Roman Catholic Church, in White Plains, where he lived. A wake will be held tomorrow and Sunday at Ballard-Durand Funeral Home there.

Detective Ed Gardner, the general manager of the department's football team, on which Officer Hernandez, 24, was a running back, said he was planning "something special" for Officer Hernandez's family. His number, 20, will be retired. "Nobody will wear Eric's number," said Detective Gardner. "We have put his white jersey in a frame and his blue jersey is going to his Dad."

Officer Hernandez's autopsy was completed yesterday, but the official cause of his death will be determined by further tissue testing, according to the city's Medical Examiner's office.

Officials have said they are waiting for the results to determine if the six men accused of attacking the officer, who was off-duty at the time, will face more severe charges.

Amid the grim work of autopsies and funeral planning, the highly unusual circumstances of the confrontation — one police officer shooting another — again came into focus yesterday.

A police union official said that Officer Alfredo Toro, who shot Officer Hernandez, would like to attend Officer Hernandez's funeral. The official said Officer Toro would be welcomed.

"I am sure people have talked of the possibility of a grudge, but there is none, not at all," said Officer Michael L. Hernandez, the union official, who has been instrumental in preparing for Officer Hernandez's funeral, storing his belongings, speaking with his father, Efrain, and coordinating with delegates in the 46th Precinct, where Officer Toro works. The two are not related.

"We are grieving just as much for Officer Toro as we are for Officer Hernandez," he said. "He has to deal with this for the rest of his life."

Officer Hernandez, who was not in uniform, was beaten by a group of men in the White Castle, crawled to the parking lot outside, pulled his gun on a man he believed to be one of his attackers and was shot by Officer Toro, who was responding to a 911 call.

Police officials have said Officer Hernandez's death would be considered a line-of-duty death because he was taking police action when he was shot.

Six men have been arrested in the attack. A grand jury indicted four of them on charges of first-degree attempted gang assault, which carries a sentence of up to 15 years.

Here is the Funeral Arrabgements for PO Eric Hernandez:

Viewing:

Saturday 02/11/2006 and Sunday 02/12/2006 1600x2100 hours at

Ballard Durard Funeral Home

2 Maple Avenue

White Plains, NY

Funeral

Monday 02/13/2006

Saint Bernards

348 South Lexington Avenue

White Plains, NY