Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NHFD21255

Cold Spring Working Fire 12/24/2009

26 posts in this topic

These pictures were taken by my 12yo son within minutes of the dispatch. I live 1 block from the fire and this is what I found when we pulled up. The fire was already thru the roof and walls on the crown st side. The house was built within the last 2 years and has cedar shake siding and I belive the roof was as well . The floors and main beams that were 100 year old reclaimed lumber with alot of polyurathane on the floors. Half the house had a full height basement with the fireside only having a 2 foot crawl space (where alot of fire was hiding durning overhaul. 2 houses and a garage sustained heat damage from the fire also.

240mainstfire014.jpg

240mainstfire020.jpg

240mainstfire023.jpg

240mainstfire037.jpg

240mainstfire051.jpg

240mainstfire084.jpg

WoW! that far involved at 7 at night is very strange in the middle of Cold Spring...Was anyone home?

Your son has a positive future in scene photography tell him great job

Oh my god, those poor people. On Christmas eve of all nights.

My wife and i love Cold Spring and absolutely love this house. We always comment on the construction of it and how beautiful it is. What a shame.

Sad, right on Christmas Eve.

Great photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

What caused the fire to become so well involved so rapidly? Even with the building materials and wood elements of the structure?

no quarterbacking here ..... but what does this area have for water ? Hydrants ?

Hydrants in the Village of Cold Spring, but I believe this was a Tanker Shuttle.

Thomas

according to a member of my department who is also with FIT there are hydrants just not much pressure to be able to feed the attack pumper as well as master streams

Cold Spring's Engine and Village Of Fishkill's ladder in the front of the building were being feed by the hydrant system and Contential Vilage's tanker. North Highlands Engine on Crown street was being feed by North Highlands's tanker and Garrison's tanker. I belive there were 4 1.75" lines 1 2" line and 1 2.5" line on the fire (not all flowing at once). The hydrant system in the village is very old and the pressure is not all that great especially in that spot.

so they used the hydrant system and tanker ops ???

Yes. Here's a couple pictures I took today. One of the house next door and one of the room where the fire started

240mainstfire129.jpg

240mainstfire125.jpg

What a horrible thing to happen to this family on Christmas Eve. Any time of year is terrible but of all nights...this is such a tragedy. What matters the most is that everybody got out of the house and nobody was injured. Thumbs up to all the volunteers that left their families on Christmas Eve to fight this fire.

This is crazy I remember seeing this house everytime I went to work at Philipstown VAC. It's crazy how things can be so horrible at such a wonderful time of the year. My prayers go out to the family. Wonderful photos and great jobs by all fd's that were on scene. CITY OF BEACON FD 33-11 went to work.

This is crazy I remember seeing this house everytime I went to work at Philipstown VAC. It's crazy how things can be so horrible at such a wonderful time of the year. My prayers go out to the family. Wonderful photos and great jobs by all fd's that were on scene. CITY OF BEACON FD 33-11 went to work.

CITY IF BEACON 33-11 DIDNT GO TO WORK just letting you know and here is a couple of shot taken as well from my phone

post-5945-12618470164.jpgpost-5945-126184699599.jpgpost-5945-126184700534.jpg

I remember going to a parade with my former FD numerous years ago in Cold Spring and hearing a story of a 100+ year old wooden water main that was still in use....is that true?

I had the pleasure of watching this fire from just about the beginning. I will have to say this, KUDOS to Hughsonville and Village of Fishkill as they were working inside from the beginning to when the fire was knocked down. In my eyes overhauling what very very little that was left to overhaul is not "going to work". Just my 2 cents.

I had the pleasure of watching this fire from just about the beginning. I will have to say this, KUDOS to Hughsonville and Village of Fishkill as they were working inside from the beginning to when the fire was knocked down. In my eyes overhauling what very very little that was left to overhaul is not "going to work". Just my 2 cents.

Fortunately, I happened to be in the area at time of dispatch. The high volume of fire and rapid growth sure made this one a tough one. Also I'm sure the water supply was a major issue, considering that it is one main that feeds Main St. I believe. Hitting more than one hydrant probably didn't help considering you would just be fighting each other for water. All in all great job by all. I'll have to second the KUDOS to Hughsonville and Village of Fishkill Fire Departments on their strong interior attack from beginning to end.

Edited by fireguy140

Nice shots! What a shame to happen on Christmas Eve.

Look at the photo someone put up of the google street view. There is a hydrant right in front of the house

NHFD21255,

THANK YOU for posting the photos.

I was listening to this over the radio and it sounded

like the fire was rippin'

I see now that it was. WOW!

unfortunately the fire was started by something on the christmas tree in the the living room area of the house believed to be either a candle or something similar. the family is all fine and well but unfortunately they did lose a dog to the fire but was able to save their other two. i work in the town as well as other members of my family and we have watched the house built over the past couple of years the family whom owned it the husband was originally from the town and lived in the house that was originally there but torn it down and used some of those components to build this one. I was told that that night people who lived around that family went digging under their trees to find gifts for the children to have something to open the next day.

There are hydrants in town but as said before they are quite old so there were the tanker shuttles. i didn't know about north highlands having their tanker there or garrison but hughsonville was doing runs down to the river so there was enough water.

this house was one of the ones included in the cold spring by candlelight tour just for knowledge. so the whole house was decorated....

garrison and North highlands had tankers on scene