Patrol 2: Eastchester 1976 Brockway Saulsbury H/R

Patrol 3: Rye 1950's Dodge, 1960's Maxim F

Patrol 4: Port Chester 1970 International,

1950's W.L.F.

Patrol 5: Thornwood 1949 ALF 700Srs. Pumper

Patrol 6: Armonk 1956 GMC/Oren

Patrol 7: Pleasantville 1960 A.L.F. 1981 Hahn, 1930's Maxim

Patrol 8: Croton Falls

Patrol 9: Bedford 1975 GMC Oren, 1991 Ford Gowans (both Light duty rescues)

Patrol 10: ????

Patrol 11: Banksville

Patrol 12: Valhalla 1930's Maxim, 1960 Maxim F

Patrol 13: Chappaqua 1930's Mack, 1960's ALF, 1983 Mack MC

Patrol 14: Hawthorne

Patrol 15: Katonah 1956 Dodge, 1971 International Gowans

Patrol 16: Briarcliff 1941 Mack

Patrol 17: Dobbs Ferry

Patrol 18: Chappaqua 1950's Studebacker, 1979 Dodge Pierce

What was the exact definition of a patrol?

Rye's patrol 3 got a new rig in the late 80's on an International chassis. It is now utility 39.

Hey all. I am away from my desk with all of my goodies about this stuff. As soon as I get back from CA. I will get you a definate answer to your definition request.

What was the exact definition of a patrol?

I'm assuming a Patrol was the old-fashioned term for Rescue, since thats what most of the old Patrols today are.

It is difficult, I think to catagorize exactly what a patrol truck was..... just look at the variety of rigs listed above. I guess the best way of defining a patrol would be to say that it was a truck that usually had firefighting capabilities with a small booster tank and usually a small pump or high-pressure fog system, that additionally carried equipment for rescue and salvage operation.... again, just look at the trucks listed above. It is also true that some of the patrol units were full sized pumpers, or that they were small 4WD units that we would probably equate with todays Mini-Attacks...... most patrols transitioned into either rescue trucks or mini-attacks. I know that is a loose answer, but again when you really look at the trucks that served, by todays standards it would be hard to catagorize it.

Chris 498 is partially right when he states that

It is difficult, I think to catagorize exactly what a patrol truck was

Some Patrols were defacto engine companies, others heavy rescue or Fire Police wagons or some combination thereof. To answer the original question though, I believe the Patrol designation began as a catch all radio identifier for all the Fire Police and Fire Patrol ( Salvage ) company rigs in the county.

Do any of the patrol companies in the county still do salvage work? In this day and age where everyone preaches " customer service " as some kind of new concept it's interesting to note that the first Fire Patrol Companies in Westchester (Port Chester, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Sleepy Hollow, Yonkers) were all organized in the 1880's to provide security and salvage to our fellow citizens.

* an interesting note for you history buffs Mount Vernon Fire Patrol Co., No. 1 eventually evolved and became Engine Co., No. 6

Croton Falls patrol 8 was an old bread truck. Our only lime green truck. Custom shelving was done by our own members, the thing was horrible. I have pics and will be getting them on her asap.

Jeff is right about the step van which, due to the awful color was known by some as "The Billious Bomb". It was pretty bad, compared to its predecessor. The truck replaced by the step van was a 1958 Chevrolet Utility Body with 4 Indian tanks in the back. It also had a long bench seat positioned lenghtwise. Compartments on the sides had a variety of hand tools, brush fire tools council rakes and brooms,etc. It had portable pump and generator with 4 portable flood lights, all of which were also up on the rear deck. It also carried Resuscitator and basic (VERY basic) first aid equipment. Prior to that, the first Patrol 8 was an old telephone truck-1952 or 1953 utility type. I really don't know too much about that one because when I joined CFFD in 1963 the white 4x4 was there. The "billious bomb" was replaced by Rescue 28, originally a Saulsbury box on a 1985 Ford chasis.which was replaced by the current GK Simon Duplex, and was refurbed by GK and is now located in CFFD Station 2, and now numbered as Utility 28.

The old white patrol went to a texaco station in mahopac if i remember correctly, my dad , and ex chief, always used to point it out to me as we drove by.

Your'e right I remember seeing it for a long time. Somebody told me that it's still out there somewhere, but I haven't seen it in years. But I will say that I still miss the old truck. It served us well!!!

Rye's patrol 3 got a new rig in the late 80's on an International chassis. It is now utility 39.

1989 Saulsbury generator/light truck on International chassis.

I know this is an old topic from the past, but i had info on both the Banksville and Bedford Patrol companies.

In banksville they ran a 1972 GMC/Reading that was retired in 1998: http://www.nefirenews.org/ne/BanksvilleFirePatrol.jpg

In Bedford we ran Patrol 9 which was our 1975 GMC Oren but was then replaced in the early 90's by our 1993 Ford F-Series light duty rescue, at which point the truck was changed from Patrol 9 to Rescue 44.

Although a little off topic, Bedford's 1965 Brush Truck retired in 1984 can be seen as engine 5 in service in West Haven, Conn: http://www.whfd.tsac.snet.net/photos/eng5-1.jpg

Also, our department has just completed the restoration of our 1928 Seagrave Suburbanite Pumper which is now in storage at the collectors car garage in Bedford Hills, NY and will be used as an antique piece in parades