Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Steven Glickman

CT emergency vehicle laws

21 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where I can find out what the laws are in the state of CT, in regaurd to fire Departments. I'm looking to find out if a fire engine can respond to an emergency call with lights on and no sirens. In New York this is against the law, however I'm not sure about other states.

Weather or not it's the law, common sense should prevail. I don't go down an empty street at 0200 with my siren on. Or if it is complete BS I drive accordingly.

Does anyone know where I can find out what the laws are in the state of CT, in regaurd to fire Departments. I'm looking to find out if a fire engine can respond to an emergency call with lights on and no sirens. In New York this is against the law, however I'm not sure about other states.

The answer is no. CT apparatus must respond Priority 1 / Hot (lights and sirens) or Priority 2 / Cold (no lights or sirens). If you are in an accident and you waring lights area on and you audible warning devices are not, the apparatus driver is liable for any accident. I'll find the statute at work tonight and get back to you.

And about running down an empty street at 0200 in the morning, you better use your siren cause you may never know what my leap out or pull out in front you. However this dose not mean "cranking up" the siren, use your warning devices accordingly and responsibly.

Edited by IzzyEng4

Just to clear up a point, I'm not talking about driving down an empty road at 2am with the Q screaming. Just a regular day time response with traffic on the road, responding to a possible house hit by lightening with a report of windows blown out of the structure. If a ranking officer tells the driver not to use the electronic siren. And the driver proceeds to turn the lights off, because he is not allowed to use the siren. And does so with the intention of staying within the law. then who is in the wrong? The driver who did not listen to his commanding officer. Or the officer for telling the driver to break the law?

If that is your question, about the driver and officer, the both are wrong. The driver for being stupid enough to listen to the officer and the officer for ordering the shut off of the siren.

You have lights on, you use the siren. Lights are not a fool proof warning system that alerts all of you presence and impromt to response. Lights are to be used in conjunction sirens.

Many lawsuits have surface involving this same question you ask.

"I didn't see any lights and I heard no siren".

Everyone chooses to have perfect vision and ignore certain sights, you can never shut off your hearing.

The driver did not have a choice about the siren because it was in control of the officer, the light however were directly above the driver. so once the officer shut the siren off, the driver shut the lights off and drove with traffic. And not to go off on a tangent but what happens if an officer asks a member to break the law? does he have to listen? If the rig gets in an acident isn't the driver gonna be held responsible for any wrong doing?

This was covered in your EVOC course at the training center if you have taken it. Also since Banksville responds into Greenwich, it should be covered in the several hours of driver training you received.

Just to clear up a point, I'm not talking about driving down an empty road at 2am with the Q screaming. Just a regular day time response with traffic on the road, responding to a possible house hit by lightening with a report of windows blown out of the structure. If a ranking officer tells the driver not to use the electronic siren. And the driver proceeds to turn the lights off, because he is not allowed to use the siren. And does so with the intention of staying within the law. then who is in the wrong? The driver who did not listen to his commanding officer. Or the officer for telling the driver to break the law?

Ok this is a no brainer... "House hit by lightening with windows blown out" if no machine is on scene to confirm no fire, you must assume that there is a fire until it is known by fire personnel. SO LIGHTS AND SIREN which you well know is code 20 in Greenwich. If you get into an accident, you are responsible, whether it is your personal vehicle or fire apparatus with lights and siren on or off.

The driver did not have a choice about the siren because it was in control of the officer, the light however were directly above the driver. so once the officer shut the siren off, the driver shut the lights off and drove with traffic. And not to go off on a tangent but what happens if an officer asks a member to break the law? does he have to listen? If the rig gets in an acident isn't the driver gonna be held responsible for any wrong doing?

How did the driver not have control of the siren? The siren controls are in the drivers reach, and E157, E159 both have Q's which you can control from the drivers seat by either using the switch on the floor or by pressing the horn button on the steering wheel.

From what I understand you are both a driver and an officer in your department. These questions you SHOULD NOT be asking!!!!! This is how people get hurt. A large number of our injuries are from responding and returning from fire calls. Use common sense if you have any. Responding to an emergency you go lights and sirens.

I am an officer however the person in the front passanger seat was a higher ranking officer, with his hand located on the electric siren, which is located between the officer and driver. so rather then messin with the siren control I payed attention to the road instead. remember life is not always black and white, it's not so simple in the fire service. and forwhatever its worth I know exactly what the laws are in NY, where I completed EVOC. however the ct V&T laws have changed in the past years and I was not sure if they permitted a code 2 stealth response. I do not use a code 2 response when responding to an alarm with no one on scene and traffic on the road. but once again I had a higher ranking officer telling me to respond code 2 against my better judgement and the law I think

Sometimes one will ask the question in a manor in which they will get the answer they are looking for. If you were so concerned about your actions why didn't you speak to the other 3 members that were present to see how they felt about your actions.

I'm well awear how the other members of the rig felt, however, I hope they realize that they do not nor does ANYONE in the firehouse have a right to instruct a member to break the law. And with a little reaserch and half a brain they will see that a code 2 lights no sirens response (at all times in the fire service in NY & CT) to a report of a house with its windows blown out is reckless, against the law, and a clear lack of common sense.

Furthermore tha facts are the facts

1) Day time call with traffic on the road

2) responding to an emergency call

3) no fire department member on scene down grading the nature of the call

4) and in NY/CT the driver of the rig will be held at fault if involved in an MVA

who in their right mind would not use a siren? anyone?

I think Mr Glickman's question was more focused on wether or not to follow the order to respond with lights and no siren. When deciding wether or not to obey an order you step on a very trecherous ground. Generally speaking if you must obey the order given. If you choose to to disobey you are usually assumed wrong and will be punished accordingly unless you can prove the order was illegal, reckless, what ever it may be ( and you may still be punished just not as harshly). If you follow the order and something happens you are both responsible, but the majority of the blame will fall to you the driver. Most important is for you to sit down and discuss this with the chief, the officer in question and any other officers and make sure the issue is clear to the entire dept. If one of you are unsure, then I'm sure others are too.

Stephen just to clarify with you, The part about driving down at 0200 ect., was a response to Alpha 14's message.

As for the CT State statute for emergency vehicle operations, I didn't get a lot of time to look it up but I will get the exact information for you. Also the other information about the ramifications was more of being informative towards what the statue is leaning towards, though its pretty much a no brainer. But it is true in CT that you have to respond lights and siren or no warning devices on at all, there is no middle ground no matter who tells you, law is law.

I do appologize if my information was read as a "no your wrong" type of response, it was't my intention to be that way. I work as a Troop dispatcher up here and have been faced with this particular issue several times. I beleive it is in the Section 14 series of State Statues but I couldn't find it. I'll get the correct info for you as soon as I find it.

Izzy

I think I found it. I'll check on it later, hope this answeres your question. The hwhole statute is here bu I will bold out the part in question.

Sec. 14-283. Rights of emergency vehicles. Obstruction of. (a) "Emergency vehicle", as used in this section, means any ambulance or emergency medical service organization vehicle responding to an emergency call, any vehicle used by a fire department or by any officer of a fire department while on the way to a fire or while responding to an emergency call but not while returning from a fire or emergency call, any state or local police vehicle operated by a police officer or inspector of the Department of Motor Vehicles answering an emergency call or in the pursuit of fleeing law violators or any Department of Correction vehicle operated by a Department of Correction officer while in the course of such officer's employment and while responding to an emergency call.

(B) The operator of any emergency vehicle may (1) park or stand such vehicle, irrespective of the provisions of this chapter, (2) proceed past any red light or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down or stopping to the extent necessary for the safe operation of such vehicle, (3) exceed the posted speed limits or other speed limits imposed by or pursuant to section 14-218a or 14-219 as long as such operator does not endanger life or property by so doing, and (4) disregard statutes, ordinances or regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specific directions.

(C.) The exemptions herein granted shall apply only when an emergency vehicle is making use of an audible warning signal device, including but not limited to a siren, whistle or bell which meets the requirements of subsection (f) of section 14-80, and visible flashing or revolving lights which meet the requirements of sections 14-96p and 14-96q, and to any state or local police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible warning signal device only.

(d) The provisions of this section shall not relieve the operator of an emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property.

(e) Upon the immediate approach of an emergency vehicle making use of such an audible warning signal device and such visible flashing or revolving lights or of any state or local police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible warning signal device only, the operator of every other vehicle in the immediate vicinity shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in such position until the emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a state or local police officer or a firefighter.

(f) Any officer of a fire department may remove, or cause to be removed, any vehicle upon any public or private way which obstructs or retards any fire department, or any officer thereof, in controlling or extinguishing any fire.

(g) Any person who wilfully or negligently obstructs or retards any ambulance or emergency medical service organization vehicle while answering any emergency call or taking a patient to a hospital, or any vehicle used by a fire department or any officer or member of a fire department while on the way to a fire, or while responding to an emergency call, or any vehicle used by the state police or any local police department, or any officer of the Division of State Police within the Department of Public Safety or any local police department while on the way to an emergency call or in the pursuit of fleeing law violators, shall be fined not more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than seven days or both.

(h) Nothing in this section shall be construed as permitting the use of a siren upon any motor vehicle other than an emergency vehicle, as defined in subsection (a) of this section, or a rescue service vehicle which is registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to section 19a-181.

(i) A police officer may issue a written warning or a summons to the owner of a vehicle based upon an affidavit signed by the operator of an emergency vehicle specifying (1) the license plate number, color and type of any vehicle observed violating any provision of subsection (e) or (g) of this section, and (2) the date, approximate time and location of such violation.

(1949 Rev., S. 2424; 1957, P.A. 542, S. 1, 2; March, 1958, P.A. 27, S. 7; 1963, P.A. 112; 1969, P.A. 452, S. 7; 1971, P.A. 538; P.A. 77-340, S. 9; 77-614, S. 486, 587, 610; P.A. 78-303, S. 85, 136; P.A. 79-3; P.A. 80-483, S. 64, 186; P.A. 84-429, S. 66; P.A. 85-217, S. 3; P.A. 00-169, S. 11; P.A. 01-59; 01-192, S. 2.)

History: 1963 act included fire department vehicles responding to emergency calls; 1969 act increased fine from fifty to five hundred dollar maximum and imprisonment from seven days to one year maximum in Subsec. ©; 1971 act replaced previous provisions with new provisions re right-of-way granted to emergency vehicles; P.A. 77-340 added reference to Sec. 14-218a in Subsec. (B); P.A. 77-614 and P.A. 78-303 made state police department a division within the department of public safety, effective January 1, 1979; P.A. 79-3 replaced reference to ambulances and vehicles used by police and fire departments with reference to emergency vehicles and rescue service vehicles in Subsec. (h); P.A. 80-483 replaced reference to Sec. 14-96g with reference to Sec. 14-96q in Subsec. ©; P.A. 84-429 made technical changes for statutory consistency; P.A. 85-217 amended Subsecs. (a) and (g), including emergency medical service organization vehicles in the definition of "emergency vehicle" and imposing a fine on persons who obstruct such vehicles while answering emergency calls; P.A. 00-169 redefined "emergency vehicle" to include vehicles operated by inspectors of the Department of Motor Vehicles; P.A. 01-59 amended Subsec. (a) to redefine "emergency vehicle" to include any Department of Correction vehicle operated by a Department of Correction officer while in the course of such officer's employment and while responding to an emergency call and amended Subsec. (B) to make a technical change for purposes of gender neutrality; P.A. 01-192 amended Subsec. (g) by changing the fine from fifty dollars to two hundred dollars, added Subsec. (i) re allowing a police officer to issue a written warning for violations of Subsec. (e) or (g) and made technical changes for the purposes of gender neutrality in Subsecs. (B) and ©.

See Sec. 14-80(f) re use of sirens, whistles or bills as warning signal devices.

The provisions of this section create an exception to section 14-299(B) concerning traffic lights at intersections. 114 C. 400. If a person is preparing for a left turn at an intersection, it may not be practicable to drive to the right-hand side and a jury should be so charged. Under this section sounding of the siren of the cruiser is essential to its right-of-way. 150 C. 349. Cited. 189 C. 601, 608. Effect of statute is merely to displace the conclusive presumption of negligence that ordinarily arises from the violation of traffic rules. Id., 601, 608, 610.

Cited. 41 CA 476, 481.

Though ambulance had right-of-way, driver still had duty to look to right on entering intersection. 15 CS 232. Fact that police officer in answering an emergency call had right-of-way did not excuse him from operating his car with reasonable care. 19 CS 32. Cited. 38 CS 377, 382.

Subsec. (B):

Cited. 189 C. 601, 608.

Since Subdiv. (4) does not include a safe driving provision, it provides immunity to drivers of emergency vehicles from criminal liability for violating statutes governing direction of movement or turning in specific directions. 60 CA 647.

Subsec. (d):

Cited. 189 C. 601, 609.

Subsec. (e):

Cited. 38 CS 377, 382-384.

Subsec. (g):

Cited. 38 CS 377, 383.

Subsec. (h):

Cited. 34 CS 555.

Edited by IzzyEng4

I am an officer however the person in the front passanger seat was a higher ranking officer, with his hand located on the electric siren, which is located  between the officer and driver. so rather then messin with the siren control I payed attention to the road instead. remember life is not always black and white, it's not so simple in the fire service. and forwhatever its worth I know exactly what the laws are in NY, where I completed EVOC. however the ct V&T laws have changed in the past years and I was not sure if they permitted a code 2 stealth response. I do not use a code 2 response when responding to an alarm with no one on scene and traffic on the road. but once again I had a higher ranking officer telling me to respond code 2 against my better judgement and the law I think

I dont know what you are refering as "code 2" some departments in CT Code 2 is lights and siren, while Code 1 is respond with traffic.

Anyway, If that officer told you to vent a truss roof that was self venting would you? Not to disrespect officers, but you must always think about an order given to you to be sure it is safe for you, your crew, and the public.

The information that your providing is extreemly self serving ! The entire incident was avoidable if you followed the very first order that was given by the officer in charge, which you did not. The fact of the matter is you failed to realize that your actions were dangerous and unacceptable for a firefighter not to mention a driver while on an assignment. I don't think this is the place to air dirty laundry or to settle this matter. The bottom line is this is not about wheather or not a siren should have been used in our situation yesterday. I feel you failed to see the true issue at hand.

Edited by LEEG118

Looks like this is starting to get a bit out of hand and maybe even a bit personal, so perhaps it's time to nip it in the bud now before it turns into something it doesn't need to.

If someone could please post the sections of NYS V&T laws that state you have to have your siren on when you have your lights on. I didn't take the EVOC but have been following the V&T for many years. The only requirement for a having a siren is if you plan to proceed through a stop sign or red light after assuring that it is safe to proceed you have to have lights and sirens operating (vtl 1104). You can

then continue on with just your lights on.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/srgvat.pdf

See Page 5 Section 1104 Article ©

This is the link to the NYS V&T law. The law is very simple, if your lights and sirens are on, then you may respond as an emergency velicle. If you turn the siren off, then you no longer have the option to respond as an emergency velicle. For example with lights on only, if a car pulls over and you pass them and in doing so you cross the yellow line, you are doing so as a normal car on the road. We all know that if something goes wrong the emergency velicle will be at fault by default. The point is everyone should try their best to follow the law, and drive in a safe and reasonable manner.

On a side note does anyone know what the NFPA says about this topic?

I'm not 100% sure but i think NFPA follows local, state and federal laws perteaining to emergency vehicle operations. I don't think there is an actual NFPA standard for respons, but then again I could be wrong.

Steve, when responding to calls in CT if you have your emergency lights on you must have your audible warning device or devices on continuously per 14-283CGS. When Greenwich dispatch tells you to respond in Code 10, that means No Emergency lights and NO audible warning device or devices. That’s were your Dept needs to have an SOP for Response to alarms. If you had one there be no issue.

I had a higher ranking officer telling me to respond code 2 against my better judgment and the law I think

It sounds like the higher ranking officer needs more experience and training

Here is the New York State Vehicle & Traffic Law as taken from the New York State website. Note that emergency responders must only use lights and sirens when they are taking advantage of the exemptions granted to them. These exemptions include speeding, clearing intersections, or disobeying other traffic signs in a responsible and safe manner. This does not mean that the siren and horns must be used at all times when responding to a call and in my personal opinion they should not be used if they are not necessary. This emergency response has been placed in false light as all the facts have not been (and should not be) disclosed. Anyone not present cannot truthfully understand the situation as there is much more to the story. If anyone is concerned about this incident they should take a look at the locations, times, and order of response for the calls assigned to E-157 (71 CT) and all other Greenwich units operating in the area following the storm on 7/12/06. I am dissapointed that this issue was brought to the public eye. I think it is appropriate to drop the issue before any more embarassment is brought to the Banksville Fire Department. This issue will be resolved in private.

I would also like to point out that as posted by IzzyEng4, the CT laws are nearly identical and uphold what I have already stated.

Vehicle & Traffic Law

Title VII

Article 23

Section 1104

Accessed 7/13/06

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi

§ 1104. Authorized emergency vehicles.

(a) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when involved in an emergency operation, may exercise the privileges set forth in this section, but subject to the conditions herein stated.

(B) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle may:

1. Stop, stand or park irrespective of the provisions of this title;

2. Proceed past a steady red signal, a flashing red signal or a stop

sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation;

3. Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he does not endanger

life or property;

4. Disregard regulations governing directions of movement or turning

in specified directions.

© Except for an authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police

vehicle or bicycle, the EXEMPTIONS herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when audible signals are sounded from any said vehicle while in motion by bell, horn, siren, electronic device or exhaust whistle as may be reasonably necessary, and when the vehicle is equipped with at least one lighted lamp so that from any direction, under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet from such vehicle, at least one red light will be displayed and visible.

(d) An authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police, sheriff or

deputy sheriff vehicle may exceed the maximum speed limits for the purpose of calibrating such vehicles' speedometer. Notwithstanding any other law, rule or regulation to the contrary, a police, sheriff or deputy sheriff bicycle operated as an authorized emergency vehicle shall not be prohibited from using any sidewalk, highway, street or roadway during an emergency operation.

(e) The foregoing provisions shall not relieve the driver of an

authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor shall such provisions protect the driver from the consequences of his reckless disregard for the safety of others.

(f) Notwithstanding any other law, rule or regulation to the contrary,

an ambulance operated in the course of an emergency shall not be

prohibited from using any highway, street or roadway; provided, however, that an authority having jurisdiction over any such highway, street or roadway may specifically prohibit travel thereon by ambulances if such authority shall deem such travel to be extremely hazardous and would endanger patients being transported thereby.

Edited by BIFD269