Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firecapt32

ADA Compliance In New Firehouses

16 posts in this topic

there are a lot of new fire stations being build recently, can any one tell me if by code they have to have handicap access to floors above the first one?? ie elevator or stair chair. I know that these buildings are "public" but do they have to meet the ADA.

just wanted to know and you guys are the smartest people out there.

thanks

i know consolidated engine's (tarrytown FD) new building will have an elevator in it for the handicapped. not sure of any other measures that are being taken to ensure that the building is handicap friendly

there are a lot of new fire stations being build recently, can any one tell me if by code they have to have handicap access to floors above the first one?? ie elevator or stair chair.  I know  that these buildings are "public" but do they have to meet the ADA.

thanks

well that is one of the reason we built a new building because it would be too much to bring the old one up to code if we did renavations. We have an elevator to the second floor. All the bathrooms are handicap access and the showers in the locker room are also handicap too. Its a public building bonded by the taxs payers.

Dave will the new Washington Eng building have an elevator too??

there are a lot of new fire stations being build recently, can any one tell me if by code they have to have handicap access to floors above the first one?? ie elevator or stair chair.  I know  that these buildings are "public" but do they have to meet the ADA.

thanks

I believe public buildings need to meed ADA standards. When we upgraded our station years back, we had to put in a ramp so someone in a wheelchair who wishes to attend the commissioners meeting which is a public meeting would have access as well to be able to vote as our station is also used during all elections.

I'm pretty sure ADA requirements say all new public buildings with more than one story must have an elevator. I know of a few new stations that had to have them to meet ADA, even though the eleveator serviced non-public spaces. Where I am, not NY, the State Fire Marshal's Office must approve all building plans for those that met certain criteria, and they look for ADA compliance. ADA is a federal thing, BTW, no state to state loosening of the rules (they can make them tighter). So in our area no plans recieve approval without ADA compliance. This includes ramps, bathroom turnaround distances, wheelchair useable sinks, elevators and more. Of course ADA is enforced through a "complaint " based system. Basically you're all set untila complaint is registers. But, look out then because there's little mercy for those who ignored the rights and requirements for handicapped persons.

I'm pretty sure ADA requirements say all new public buildings with more than one story must have an elevator. I know of a few new stations that had to have them to meet ADA, even though the eleveator serviced non-public spaces. Where I am, not NY, the State Fire Marshal's Office must approve all building plans for those that met certain criteria, and they look for ADA compliance. ADA is a federal thing, BTW, no state to state loosening of the rules (they can make them tighter). So in our area no plans recieve approval without ADA compliance. This includes ramps, bathroom turnaround distances, wheelchair useable sinks, elevators and more. Of course ADA is enforced through a "complaint " based system. Basically you're all set untila complaint is registers. But, look out then because there's little mercy for those who ignored the rights and requirements for handicapped persons.

I believe that all new/refurbished public buildings have to meet the current ADA codes for the area..

I know when our building was built in 2000 we eliminated the elevator issue, since our building was built into the hill side. The 2nd floor is accessible at grade by going around to the back of the building. It also we designed that all operational functions were on the 1st floor and training/social/admin were on the 2nd floor, so the need for expedited transition between floors is minimized.

PVVAC Web Page

Edited by smwells

Dave will the new Washington Eng building have an elevator too??

Yes

Here in Stony Hill (Fairfield), we eliminated the second floor originally planned for our new house. we would have needed an elevator and the cost and space needed was not economical at the time. We put a fitness room in the space that would have been used for the elevator and stairs.

the firehouse are only impacted by ADA if they are district buildings. I'm from further upstate and the fire companies own the buildings and rent to the district the bays and offices. My old fire company is building a new station right now and they do not have to ADA comply for the second floor because again the station is owned by the fire company. The public rental areas have taken handicap access as a consideration in its design (bathrooms, hallways, entrance) but the company areas as of now are not ADA compliant.

thanks fo rthe information guys-- I always knew you guys were smart.

In all my dealings professionally with the issue, the one subject that has come up and been stated repeatedly is the fact that no building is ultimately exempt from ADA requirements with the exception of private dwellings. Public facilities, whether they be firehouses, DPW garages or city hall are all subject to compliance regardless of their possible usage by disabled people (see the Braille requirement at the drive up teller).

If a permit is pulled, and the work is a greater than xx%, ADA compliance must be confirmed for the CO. Where municipalities skirt the issue is by claiming that the work is planned for the future or by keeping the work under xx% of the building. However at some point the work must be done.

The only time I have seen any leeway on this is in a landmark issue when it would alter the fundamental character of the structure (a handicap ramp up the front stairs to the Lincoln Memorial for example).

My district has a new station (but after 4 years were still not officaly in it) that was built by a developer and the moron developers found some loop hole so they did not have to put one in. because they built it privatly and are giving the district the house.

I don't like it but some people just don't care!

2 Company in Stamford has fully compliant wheelchair access in the second floor bathrooms, but they forgot to install the elevator.

If you drive by Rye Fire HQ, which is under construction, you will notice that the right (West) side of the building has grown considerably... This structure will house the new elevator, among other rooms.