Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Officers Training

4 posts in this topic

I am researching required training for officers in my department. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please respond here or my e-mail which is AManc2196@aol.com. Thank you.

Andy,

In West Harrison we imply the following requirements,

2nd Lt.- Firefighter 1, Survival, EVOC, App. Pump Op, Intro to Fire Officer

1st Lt. - In addition to the above, Ladder Co. Ops, AVET,

Captain - Fire Officer 1, Haz-Mat Awareness

Asst. Chief - Fire Behavior and Arson Awareness, Principles for Fire Inv.

I hope this helps!

You may want to look into the National Fire Academy's Managing Company Tactical Operations (MCTO) course series. We have found them very helpful. There are four modules that build on top of eachother ending with different simulations of fire scenes. It was mandatory training for our line officers. It is free as long as you open it up to other departments. Each module is 16 hours.

MCTO is a great introductory course series for officer specific training. And, it helps to reinforce such things as preplanning, SOPs, and incident command. From there, you can build on IFSTA Fire Officer 1 and so forth.

And, depending upon what your needs are, you can look at non fire specific training such as management training seminars. Don't just look at fire service courses.

Hope that this helps.

Andy

Check out Putnam BES's website. It lists what they require to be recognized as an officer although many o fthe Putnam Dept's I have heard do not unfortunitly adhear to it.

www.pcbes.org