Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RESCUERABBITS

Vocal Smoke Alarms

9 posts in this topic

I recently viewed a demonstration on the New Generation of Smoke Detectors called Vocal Smoke Alarms

These detectors allow you to record a personalized wakeup command and verbal escape instructions.

One of these detectors is designed for Adults as well as Seniors

One designed for the safety of children.

Information all members should look into, especially those with young children.

They are made by Signalone

www.kidsmartcorp.com

Safety is everyones job!!!!!!!

I am studying safety in college and we were just talking about these. This saturday a vendor is probabally coming to give us a demonstration.

I think this is an excellent idea. Many things in a household beep nowadays, and something more personalized during a crisis may be more effective than simple loud beep. I also like the idea of reminding you of escape instructions.

I still like the "80's Music Smoke Detector" as featured on the '05 season of Saturday Night Live.

Seth - YES!!!!!! I was thinking of the same thing - "Bust a move!"

I don't know about others, but I am so prone to certain sounds, like talking and music, that the only thing that wakes me up is the beeping of my alarm clock and my pagers. If the alarm clock is on music mode - I sleep thru it.

Sorry day tour, I try to set the darn thing right but the other half likes the music...

Edited by Remember585

Interesting concept. I'd also be concerned about not waking up to just a voice, as Remember585 says, unless it's some kind of loud beeping I'm dead to the world. Maybe if this thing had 5 seconds of a loud alarm alternating with the voice message, that would be ideal. I don't think the voice alone is a good idea though.

Seth - YES!!!!!!  I was thinking of the same thing - "Bust a move!"

I don't know about others, but I am so prone to certain sounds, like talking and music, that the only thing that wakes me up is the beeping of my alarm clock and my pagers.  If the alarm clock is on music mode - I sleep thru it.

Sorry day tour, I try to set the darn thing right but the other half likes the music...

The Voice is followed by beeping tone like the traditional smoke detectors.

Article on the Associated press Website from October 2, 2006, which details the findings that the Columbus Children's Hospital in Ohio had while testing 24 children ages 6-12, using these devices.

Listen guys and gals if the smoke detector had your mothers voice yelling at you to get up out of bed i am sure you would. so voice activiated detectors shoud work. We al listen to our mothers dont we?

Well in my case they could use my Mother in Laws voice, I would be out of the bed and run thru the wall before anyone else got up.