Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lad12derff

Journal News Article

32 posts in this topic

It's interesting seeing this attitude - not sure what the brothers and sisters in Phoenix would say about treating our customers this way. It's also interesting seeing the topic on  Burnout. How many people at 2am are going to roll over and reset their pager when they hear the alarm, or worse turn it off? If there's an additional 600 runs, that's pretty much 2/day.

I would say an immediate action would be to go to a reduced response. So far I belive the story said 1 in 75 calls was something, that's about 1.3% - which seems high. Even with a reduced response people are alerted, on their way and can be upgraded if needed - still better than a check and investigate.

The longer term is to work in partnership with the institution to improve the detection system. It seems many of these places don't have to follow local ordinances, just state and federal. You get to federal buildings, they don't follow state rules.

The other idea I would see as someone mentioned is having the organisation form a fire brigade or department. Maybe even a satellite company and get them involved with volunteering for the department.

Way to go Monty, I was wondering when someone was going to bring up a fire bridgade and/or partnership with the school. Great options, worthy of exploring.

The other thing to consider is this regulation has only been enforced for the past few months and everyone is getting used to it. Perhaps in another few months people will be more careful and the volume of alarms will decrease.

At the Annual Fire Prevention and Life Safety Educators Conference they had a woman who lost her son in a campus fire, they also had Ed Comeau who is the publisher of Campus Firewatch. They have a lot of info on their site (www.campus-firewatch.com) and are trying to get more colleges involved in making their campuses safer for students. It might be an idea to get the colleges in the area to meet with them and join the fight to promote Fire Safety. A video that was shot at an upstate SUNY school by the OFPC asked College age kids what they knew about fire safety, nearly everyone interviewed said they knew STOP DROP and ROLL....Obviously the message of fire Prevention is not growing with the students past a certain age group!