Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

What's This Gate?

9 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure this is a Humat gate. I saw it on numerous Boston area apparatus yesterday. This particular one was on Boston Engine 9.

I know (or think) that these are also used in LA and maybe Scarsdale too. Anyone want to give me a refresher on how they work, what the advantages are, and why they are so prevalent in the Boston area?

[attachmentid=1754]

post-11-1166028593.jpg

This is a hydrant assist valve. We use them at Arlington. They are used to boost hydrant pressure without interuption of an existing flow from the hydrant. I have attached our SOG of its use.

9_C.pdf

I'm pretty sure this is a Humat gate. I saw it on numerous Boston area apparatus yesterday. This particular one was on Boston Engine 9.

I know (or think) that these are also used in LA and maybe Scarsdale too. Anyone want to give me a refresher on how they work, what the advantages are, and why they are so prevalent in the Boston area?

[attachmentid=1754]

Hydrant assist valve. We had them on our engines and have donated them away. The amount of times we were able to hit a hydrant (we have few) they were never a factor with pressure or flow and tended to cause more confusion than help.

Arrow

Looks to me like a modern version of a 4 way gate valve. Used to increase presure by adding another eng in line with out shuting the hydarnt down.

I agree with you firecapt. We had them on all our pumpers in Briarcliff and slowly began to phase them out in the mid to late seventies after we started to switch over to the 3" supply lines.

thats a "hydrasisst" (darien slang) valve we have them on our engines in town

glad to know I am right once in a while. We had one on our eng used it one time in like 15 years.