Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

High Water Rescue Vehicles

26 posts in this topic

I believe that the storm we had over the past couple of days will happen again, more often, as Westchester grows and develops more land and ignores the maintainence of streams, rivers, runoff basins, etc. Also, the enviromental changes of global warming will cause this to happen more (that is debatable, but I just wanted to support my point below)

Does anyone in the area have "High Water Rescue Units"? I'm talking about those huge Memphis chasis ex-Military trucks that are high and can drive in deep flooded water. Yonkers has something similar http://www.yfd.org/images/appHaz-Mat-Support.jpg but I'm not sure what they use it for.

Along with a hovercraft and trash pumps, this I feel is a neccesity for DES to obtain. We spend so much time preparing,training and equiping for Tech Rescue. Hazmat, etc but more common things like an event of this magnitude that's been happening more and more lately are ignored. If they have the money to obtain the two pieces of Technical Rescue apparatus I understand they recently did, then there's more then enough money and grants to provide swiftwater training, buy a couple of hovercrafts or flat bottom aluminum rowboats, a trash pump trailer, a high water rescue vehicle, etc.

There is such duplication of services, redundancies in apparatus and equipment, it's ridiculous. When it comes down to the bread and butter emergenices that happen frequently, we're tottally lacking the equipment we really need while our hazmat and tech rescue equipment, even our engines and rescues, collect dust.

I mamroneck, they had numerous National Guard units were driving around in the deep water - and we would transfer them from the boat to the truck and the truck would bring them back to land ---- one of the vehicles however was taken too far in and stalled out -- had to be towed by some crazy national guard wrecker -- looked like it belonged on space wink.gif

Basically, it would be great to have that, but thanks to having the national guard who was gathered before the storm started strictly for possible relief efforts we were able to make use of their high water rescue units.

The National Guard did a great job and not all the units that were regrouped were deployed -- If was great to see them with the equipment they needed despite the speech that the head of the national guard gave to the military leaders and congress last week, where he said the national guard can not handle any great emergencies at this time. ----

x635 - as you mentioned money and grants -- im sure they could get a suitable one that the military is going to get rid of -- a little fixer upper or something like that -- but because of its probably rare use -- the maintenance would be a pain --- just a thought !!!

The Sound Beach Fire Department in Greenwich CT has one, and so does Darien Fire Department.

I'm sure there is government surplus Uncle Sam is willing to give away at a decent price. I think Spano better start putting together a BIG shopping list.

I have seen several o fthe type of vehicle needed in a Camp Smith parking lot.

Did Yonkers take out that High Water Unit during this storm or did they just leave it up at the Ridge Hill Bunker? I understand that YFD had an assignment working on Palmer Road for quite a bit of time the past couple of days, and was curious to know if this Rig was placed in service or not.

Doesn't a department on Long Island have one?

to get a surplus military vehicle such as am M35 (2 1/2 ton truck) check with the Federal Excess Property Program (FEPP) your state department of Forestry or agriculture (and the national guard) should be able to help you get trucks like thses, along with all sorts of other equipment. generally for free, it just has to be kept in service with your department, and after such time as you no longer need it, you return it to them (issuing agency) In Mass. and here in Florida, we use those surplus 6x6 for brush trucks (go check out Capecodfd.com for his special on brush trucks)

I don't know about the big 2 1/2 ton truck. Maybe its the sailor in me. But driving a large truck down a flooded road seems to be asking for some pain. Seeing what has happened to some roads in the area and they way they seem to fall apart very quickly moving water.

A hovercraft is great but tends to need alot of skill to pilot in close areas. I think a Boston Whaler would work best. They draw a max of 9 inches. They are incrible boats and will take alot to sink one too.

My department runs one and I have been using them for years doing work, rescue and standbys on the water.

Here is there website if anyone is intrested. The work horse is the Montauk Model that come in a 19 foot boat but that does draw 12 inches. Where the 17 foot needs 9 inches.

\Boston Whaler

Doesn't a department on Long Island have one?

Freeport has two of them. This is assigned to Hose Co. 1. The members did the work on the truck and the support trailer. Credit to the original photographer.[attachmentid=2483]

post-17-1176861898.jpg

Chivvis Enterprises, Inc.

10 Grant St.

Copiague, New York 11726

Phone: 631-842-7878, M-F, 7-3:30 EST

Fax: 631-842-7624

mail to: CHIVVIS@VERIZON.NET

http://www.chivvisent.com/

[attachmentid=2484]

[attachmentid=2485]

[attachmentid=2486]

[attachmentid=2487]

post-82-1176865308.jpg

post-82-1176865347.jpg

post-82-1176865631.jpg

post-82-1176865803.jpg

Edited by Hooks057

Chivvis Enterprises, Inc.

10 Grant St.

Copiague, New York 11726

Phone: 631-842-7878, M-F, 7-3:30 EST

Fax: 631-842-7624

mail to: CHIVVIS@VERIZON.NET

http://www.chivvisent.com/

[attachmentid=2484]

[attachmentid=2485]

[attachmentid=2486]

[attachmentid=2487]

I would hate to do engine work on that!

wouldn't be a bad Idea for WCDES to maybe invest in 1 or 2?

Seth, you start out talking about duplication of services, and thats exactly what DES owned duces would be. For they type of emergency that these are needed you talking large enough for guard or reserve deployment. Lets be practical. There's a stack of seized john boats on DEP property (I may or may not have one these boats up state). Get these out to every dept, get a stack of life preservers to everyone (at $30 a pop why didn't everyone have one this week), and some real trash pumps. These are all relatively cheap and easy to maintain.

Maybe it would be duplication of services but, for the storm this time National Guard was prepared, what about the times they are not? Would it really be that bad too have some that are right there? The life or Family it could save may be yours.

There is plenty of room for improvement,

The National Guard will be stretched thin if a REALLY big one ever hits, so maybe WCDES should think about one... They truely can't be that expensive. Anyone in a low-lying area or one that has alot of lakes/streams/rivers/etc should have a plan for high water rescue, and this seems like the easiest route to go, no need for trailering boats or anything like that, just a matter of getting the truck(s) to the scene and working safely off of them.

I believe Greenwich PD also has a duce and a half. I saw it over near where PD keeps their 2 boats. The unit had a box on the back which looked like it was designed to be used as a personnel carrier. I also heard that Stamford PD has one but have never seen it so I can not confirm that.

The Sound Beach VFD had our Duce "TS 51" out in cos cob sunday night it was the first time we had to use it for a watter the rest of the time we use it to carry our trench equiptment. it worked well

Here is an image of Darien's igh Water Rescue truck. I took this shot at the New Cannan Parade last July

post-1726-1177114775.jpg

Edited by nutty1

Here is an image of Darien's igh Water Rescue truck. I took this shot at the New Cannan Parade last July

Quite honestly, that thing looks like it would be swamped in a second.

Mike

Bethel,CT. Fire Dept. Just got one Monday night from the state dep Forestry

Here in mamaroneck we were using multiple boats to rescue trapped people for awhile but we switched to the nat. guard units. This was done for a couple of reasons. One small boats only hold a couple of victims at a time and sometimes the rescuers were having to walk along side the boat. second for those boats with outdrives, obstacles such as guardrails and changes in elevations such as curbs caused navigation issues. We had two boats who lost lower units in their outboards due to this. third it is one thing to lose your outboard in calm water but there were large portions of town that had swift water. It was much safer to use the trucks and front loaders to transport people. We could also transport larger numbers in each trip.

LARC I used to drive this one

user posted image

They are a little slow, and may not handle that great, but it was awesome driving through Sea Bright during a Noreaster back in 95. I wish I had the picture of the actual one from Sandy Hook.

Edited by JBE

Those are cool! I saw one awhile back that had like a 1500 GPM pump a couple master stream monitors, and a couple suction lines running down off the side. Fentonfire.com said it would top out at 30 MPH land and 5 MPH sea.

Mike

Stamford also has a Duce and a Half, it is kept at the drill field but was placed in service during the storm, I believe.

Seeing that USCG rig, made me remember, wasn't it Miami that had the amphibious engine, back in the 1980's?