Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

I worked at Empress and...

45 posts in this topic

worked at Empress 1995 - 2003

loved every minute of it, especially YO and MV

Learned from many great people: Liver, Rothschild, Ulrich, Lockkwood, Lindholm, Frank, Valerioti, Di Megglio, Hinchey, Perkins, Netherocot(oneye), Visconti, Mancuso,

Worked with some of the best Supervisors: Curtis Mast, Bob Visconti, Ray Cordi, Tommy Sal(RIP), Frank Mancuso, Steve Wilson, Alfreda Massey, Dennis Murphy

Worked with some of the best AEMT/EMT's and Dispatchers: 129K, Califano*2, Ron Brown, J Re, Tony Martyn, Bill Bailly, Jim Discuillo, Kevin Lynch, oswegowind, Coolio Cruz, Sanjurjo, Seguin, Gjertsen, Otto, Steinkraus, Mahoney, Agnese, McDonald, McGovern, Parker, x901, x635, Figuroa, Bob Figura Rahilly, RWC130, Keith McCartney, Berens, Martinez(RIP), Chapman(RIP), Perales(RIP), Budnick, Baumblatt*2, Fragano, Stevens, Jefferies, If i missed anyone i am sorry and i will add later.

Yonkers was some of the best learning experiences i have ever had.

Edited by X307

There should be an annual short story contest with the winner published in JEMS in which the beggining line of the tale is, "I worked at Empress and..."

I smell a pullitzer! Oh and burning brakes, belts, oil, batteries, and possibly... is that the smell of someone burning out?

Edited by paramedico987

Oneeye, remember the guy at the Ludlow St. Station? Got hit by a train, thrown into a tree, fell out of the tree onto the third rail. AND LIVED. In those days we had to ask for permission to leave the city to take him to WMC.

I just remebered a very funny Empress story - of which there are a ton...but this takes the cake..

I used to do a 16 hour tour in the YO with The Hammer Rothschild - to which I referred to as "hanging out with a grreat buddy" for 16 hours...always fun...

Well...one nice summer day, we are up at Post 3...The Dunwoodiee parking lot...I am reading a magazine...enjoying a fresh dip of Skoal...The Hammer is napping.....(he's old...I let him nap alot)...

We get a E-Job......so I put her in drive and off we go down the hill....Billy is waking up and apparently parched. He grabs his drink and chugs a few swallows...

Thats when HE turned green and starting to gag....YEP! He drank from my SPIT BOTTLE!!!!!!! HAHAHAHHAAAAAA!

I offered him my brand new big Gatorade, to shich he drank the entire thing....never did puke though...

Pete Rovida......now THERE is a Man that I could make puke on demand!

Who is X307?

I have to say that YO and MV were fun. Hated most of the bosses but had a good time most of the time. Hated 12p-12a shift though. Always got f*cked with a late job. Favorite shift was 12-8 Fri with Gertsens. Karl was the man.

my first overnight shift with oneeye, we were assigned post 3. He said a knew a great place to hide and sleep. Turns out we were in Bronxville off pondfield road. Bostwick found us and gave us a really hard time.

129K what about our winter overnight on post 4(also 25) off Dobbsferry Rd and the Sprain?

Also..here is another blast from the past, (McGovern should know this ooh too well)

last week on CSI they made a reference to a person in the story call the "whickham beast."

Edited by X307

Oneeye, remember the guy at the Ludlow St. Station?  Got hit by a train, thrown into a tree, fell out of the tree onto the third rail. AND LIVED.  In those days we had to ask for permission to leave the city to take him to WMC.

Of course I remember him. His name was Rufus. NO sh*t. I will always remember that guy. I would touch his brain and his arm would move. He was released from St Joe's that day and decided to kill himself.

It is actually pretty cool to think about the past. I guess it is easy to remember who I am isn't it? I ran into Bostwick in Ocean City, MD back in 2002. He was standing in this bar and I sent him a shot. He was pretty cool when he was not at work.

Ahhh.... Empress

5/02 - 5/06

Hey X307... How about Trauma 1 on Fri. nights... How many times did I go to Jacobi on any given shift??

There are def. some great people at that company... I had some of the best partners...

Where else can you learn to be the first unit on scene at a multi patient MVA, and turf all patients to other units both ALS and BLS so you can go back in service....

It was great to see some of the old crowd over the weekend...

or short sleeve uniform shirts when it is 10below and snowing...

Well 738 is on the air. Hi everyone. This should be easy to figure out who I am. Worked Emp from 97-2005. Miss it all & dont miss it. Never forget 14K & 14T as well as the rest of the bananas. I have finally upped from a I to a Medic. Working Alamo & the evil Empire ( Its a blast with a H3 for a flycar. I see Carl O every now & again at the gym & Buck at some CMEs. I will say that Empress ran us all, but we are 100% better in ems for it. No One does it like Empress EMTS, Is & Medics. Would love to work at Empress as a Medic just to get the calls as a Medic that I did as a I. I went to Blackwater & took their course for tact program what a rush. FYI on me Christine left me a month from the end of the course was over. My Children are okay THank God! Take care everyone of you, miss you all!!Remember to admin Heavy NS to those simple seizures & Nuts.

Miss Miriam...4034 Wickham Avenue.....

Always a 2 crew transport till me and Dum Dum paired up....WE STRONG LIKE BULLS!!!!!!!!!!

129K what about our winter overnight on post 4(also 25) off Dobbsferry Rd and the Sprain?

Ahhhh yes....... very high pucker factor.....more so now looking back thinking what if that bus got traction??!? laugh.gif

Ok.....so there we were..in a 50 series in the parking lot at Pst 25....which has a gradual slope downhill.....and there is like 4 inches of snow on the ground....so........... I figure now is as good a spot to practice doing donuts with the bus....

I was doing good at first, really whipping the a** end around.....then I made the fatal mistake of going for the figure 8!

The rear bogged down into the snow...and just sat there spinning...STUCK!

Of course now the Yonkers units start catching work and they call us back to the city...F!

So we try rocking the bus, bouncing up on the tail, in the patient compartment, one guy pushing, the other driving...nothing - stuck as could be....then we notice that even if we take our foot off of the gas pedal, the wheels still spin! PERFECT! We open the rear doors, put it in drive and floor it! Then I hop out and run around with mark to push...The plan was when it started to go, one of us would jump in, run through the back and into the cab! blink.gif

Didnt work....

So we started shoving equipment under the back tires for traction....splints.....backboards.....the mini-spine board (which shot out of the tire at over 300 miles per hour! laugh.gif )

Nothing worked so we called in stuck.....

Just before Support Services (Frank) got there - somehow we got unstuck and ouit of the lot.....and noone ever knew.. biggrin.gif

ANGEL VEGA. Need I say anymore?

ANGEL VEGA. Need I say anymore?

AYE AYE AYE AYE AYE AYE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!