Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Who carries off duty?

38 posts in this topic

I am in the middle of doing firearms training and stopped home before heading to the range. We finally put something in our SOP's about off duty/plain clothes officers and what to do if and when you show up to a scene and a firearm is displayed but no shield. I know that it is common sense to most of us about the "DON'T MOVE POLICE" then have them drop their weapon, walk away slowly, and ask for them to reach for their ID slowly and that BS.

I guess I always wonder how many LEO's carry off duty. I know that their has only been a handful of times since I got out of the ACADEMY that I did not have an off duty gun with me. As a matter of fact I can probably count on 1 hand maybe 2.

If you don't carry an off duty do you still carry your ID and BADGE?

I look at this way. If you carry your ID and BADGE I assume that you have a firearm on your person.

Don't want to debate, I know when you SHOULDN"T carry your gun but we all do it so let's stay away from that. Thanks.

In cooler months I carry often, wearing jeans etc. Hot months very rarely due to the fact I wear shorts and a tee shirt on a daily basis and its harder to conceal and its just plain uncomfortable. I always have both shield and ID when carrying. I always have weapon, shield and ID in my POV. A lot good that does me if something goes down away from the car but thats my preference.

Do you carry your ID and SHIELD when you are not carrying? I have adapted to carrying in shorts. I have a great holster that fits under my belt pointing towards my little partner. You can't really tell and I usually try to wear longer T Shirts.

I decide if i should carry really based upon where i'm going and what it is i'll be doing. For example, i do not carry if i'm heading to the beach. The weather can also play a factor but i do carry more in the cooler weather since it is easier to conceal. i always however do carry my shield and id. it probably depends on your personal choice and what your comfortable with.

Do you carry your ID and SHIELD when you are not carrying? I have adapted to carrying in shorts. I have a great holster that fits under my belt pointing towards my little partner. You can't really tell and I usually try to wear longer T Shirts.

I sometimes do carry my shield and ID without carrying my firearm, it can come in handy at times. Like patrol224 said it really does depend on what I'm doing that day and where I'm going. What make/style holster do you have?

Edited by 210

I just want to say that i really appreciate this post. The other day i was picking up a uniform for work and happened to be walking out as guy i attended college with was walking in. I know that he just got hired as a patrol officer in an upstate dept. As he was walking passed me, i noticed his service pistol in his pants (he was wearing slacks and a shirt) almost like a DT. Personally, i was a bit taken back because the firearm was in plane sight and no visible badge showing. I was always under the impression that if your going to carry, in an off duty capacity, that it should be hidden away. What do you guys think?

Edited by Goose

I just want to say that i really appreciate this post. The other day i was picking up a uniform for work and happened to be walking out as guy i attended college with was walking in. I know that he just got hired as a patrol officer in an upstate dept. As he was walking passed me, i noticed his service pistol in his pants (he was wearing slacks and a shirt) almost like a DT. Personally, i was a bit taken back because the firearm was in plane sight and no visible badge showing. I was always under the impression that if your going to carry, in an off duty capacity, that it should be hidden away. What do you guys think?

In my department you can wear concealed or on your belt in plain view when off duty. Having said that I don't know anyone that carries in plain view while off duty. Personally I don't think its cool as I don't like to draw attention to myself. I have seen a rookie or two carry in plain view but that habbit doesn't last very long. They are the ones who wear shirts with police written in big white letters all over them. That doesn't last long either.

If you carry on your belt in plain view your shield has to be visible to the public. If you wear the shield on your belt it has to be on the same side as your firearm. You can also hang the shield around your neck. Again nobody really does this off duty.

Edited by 210

Okay you got me on the beach one. I don't carry to the beach because if I leave it in a bag and I am in the OCEAN then MR MURPHY (LAW) will come and it will get stolen.

If you are going to wear a gun on the outside of your clothing then your shield should be on your belt right next to where your gun is. Undercover and on your belt then you can have your shield around your neck or somewhere with easy access.

The REAL problem is that you guys all live in a state that has trounced your second amendment rights to death. It shouldn't be SCARY to see a handgun in plain view. Now, that's not the best way to carry, but it works. It should also be perfectly legal WITHOUT a permit or shield.

Just my $.02

Carry and work safe!!

RA

I always have my ID, but rarely carry a firearm off-duty. And, never in plain view.

I think the most important element concerning an armed off duty/plain clothes MOS is for he or she to recognize the uniform officer on scene is in charge regardless of the rank either party holds. I was trained in the city and they provided some past scenarios involving this type of encounter. The off duty/ plain clothes officer is in the zone when taking police action, and some times does not realize that he or she is not identifiable to responding uniformed MOS, regardless of color or day (city method to identify plain clothes mos). Also it should be second nature when the situation permits to display both your shield/ id card and fireman simutaneously, and verbally identify yourself in off duty/ plain clothes incidents. Past incidents should be proof enough of the amount of witnesses that will come out of the cracks in a grand jury hearing to testify that they did not hear or see you identify yourself to the perp.

Also, an important fact to remember when taking action off duty is to consider the consequences. Will you be indemnified? Are you putting a family member/ or other at risk by taking action? I carry off duty when feasible, but that is only when I am able to properly safeguard. Safeguarding in a gym locker, personal vehicle, etc. is not safeguarding, but opening you and other up to serious risk.

I rarely carry off duty... figure I made it the first 22 years of life my before I became a police officer without the need for a firearm. Usually I'll only carry if I'm going into NYC or travelling through a "seedy" area that I may not be familiar with. Defnetly a matter of personal preference though.

The REAL problem is that you guys all live in a state that has trounced your second amendment rights to death.  It shouldn't be SCARY to see a handgun in plain view.  Now, that's not the best way to carry, but it works.  It should also be perfectly legal WITHOUT a permit or shield. 

Just my $.02

Carry and work safe!!

RA

What are the rules for off duty and civilians who carry up in NH?

I am a civilan employee of a PD in Orange County. The rule for our cops is that if they are carrying off duty they have their weapon concealed and their shield and ID have to be carried where they can easily be displayed if needed. They are also not permitted to carry their service weapon when they are off duty without written permission from the Chief. It has to stay in their locker when they leave work.

They can pretty much carry any off duty gun as long as they qualify on it. They also permitted to carry their off duty weapon as a backup while on duty.

Every single cop from the top down always carries his or her shield and ID even when they are not carrying.

As a civilian, I have a NYS Pistol Permit. On a rare occasion I will carry one of my two pistols (one is a mini Glock .40 cal & the other is a Kel-Tec .32 cal). When I carry either one of them, I always have my pistol permit in a readily accessible place so I can quickly identify myself as having a permit for the weapon I posess.

The rules for NH are quite simple. It is a SHALL issue state, meaning unless the PD can find a really good reason to deny you a permit, it is issued to you. You may then carry pretty much anywhere you want in the state, concealed. The fun part is that if you want to "open carry", as in a gun on your belt, that is perfectly legal without any kind of a permit. Same with having a weapon in your house. No permit needed. For those of you who have purchased a handgun in NYS, you know what a mess it is. Here, you walk into store and buy gun. As long as you pass the federal rapid background check, you walk out with the handgun.

Now, VT is even more fun. There aren't handgun laws there. None. Zero. Go buy a gun and carry it where you want. Period.

Nice, huh?

I tend to think so.

The rules for NH are quite simple.  It is a SHALL issue state, meaning unless the PD can find a really good reason to deny you a permit, it is issued to you.  You may then carry pretty much anywhere you want in the state, concealed.  The fun part is that if you want to "open carry", as in a gun on your belt, that is perfectly legal without any kind of a permit.  Same with having a weapon in your house.  No permit needed.  For those of you who have purchased a handgun in NYS, you know what a mess it is.  Here, you walk into store and buy gun.  As long as you pass the federal rapid background check, you walk out with the handgun. 

Now, VT is even more fun.  There aren't handgun laws there.  None.  Zero.  Go buy a gun and carry it where you want.  Period. 

Nice, huh?

I tend to think so.

It's very nice. It's what's wrong with liberal America.

People forget that the Second made the rest. (STAT, I'm sure you know what that means.)

Stat........... Live free or die!!!!!!

BTW, when was the last time you had to use deadly physical force on a woodchuck????

Stat........... Live free or die!!!!!!

BTW, when was the last time you had to use deadly physical force on a woodchuck????

Have you seen some of the "woodchucks" up here? You'd be armed too!!

That and all the freaks from south of the border. And, by the way, I am NOT talking about the border that Mr. Bush wants a fence in support of.

636, talked to Palmer lately?

All this talk of carrying off-duty I thought you guys meant sneaking donuts into your pants pockets....

I had to do it......sorry!

It's a good point that Stat brings up, NYS is so afraid to distribute firearms without a tedious and prolonged process, even though we have the right to bare arms.

My question to all is this - why the need to carry when off-duty? It's not a prick comment, I just am curious because my friends who are Cops seem to stray away from carrying off-duty because they don't want to "advertise" what they do. Thanks!

All this talk of carrying off-duty I thought you guys meant sneaking donuts into your pants pockets....

I had to do it......sorry!

It's a good point that Stat brings up, NYS is so afraid to distribute firearms without a tedious and prolonged process, even though we have the right to bare arms.

My question to all is this - why the need to carry when off-duty?  It's not a prick comment, I just am curious because my friends who are Cops seem to stray away from carrying off-duty because they don't want to "advertise" what they do.  Thanks!

You're not advertising what you do if you are carrying concealed. Why the need to carry off-duty? Because all it takes is that one time for the s**t to hit the fan... even something as stupid as a minor car accident and the next thing you know some dope is charging you with a tire iron from his trunk. Tire iron=threat of serious bodily injury with a weapon=say hello to my lil' friend...

what is the thought of the police officers on this forum about civillians carying w/full carry permits....? (restricted of course to albany and the 5 bouroughs)

My question to all is this - why the need to carry when off-duty?  It's not a prick comment, I just am curious because my friends who are Cops seem to stray away from carrying off-duty because they don't want to "advertise" what they do.  Thanks!

Well, that mall shooting in Utah a few months back was stopped by an off-duty cop who was carrying.

There are a couple rules of thought for off duty carrying. Some say that you should know your surroundings if you intend to interfere with a crime in progress. Example would be being in a grocery store, bank, etc. You may see only one robber and it has happened that once the off duty commits him/her self to stopping the robbery another member of the robbery team may get the drop on you. It is better to be a better witness then to be a statistic.

Now there may be situations were you are pulling up to a store or something else and see the crime in progress or as JJB531 said a simple traffic accident where there are irrate parties involved. Now in that situation JJB would have to run for his life because he said that he does not carry off duty unless he is in a skelly neighborhood. I got your back JJB. LOL.

I look at this way. I did survive for a long time without carrying a gun but now it is my right to carry a gun. I have never taken it out when off duty nor do I let people know that I have it on. Many just assume that I have it because they know what I do. But if you don't know me than you don't know what I have. Kinda like all the other PERPS out there. I usually just assume that everyone has a gun.

I like Texas style. Where it on the outside that way you think twice before you ROB somebody.

Have you seen some of the "woodchucks" up here?  You'd be armed too!!

That and all the freaks from south of the border.  And, by the way, I am NOT talking about the border that Mr. Bush wants a fence in support of. 

636, talked to Palmer lately?

Hey! What did Masachusetts do to you? mad.gif

Mike

I leave all my handguns in my locker at work. I used to keep one in my vehicle then my truck got towed by a NYC Sheriff for outstanding parking tags. There is no need for that anxiety, and the possibility of it falling into the wrong hands. Immediately after 9/11 I would carry a 12 guage and .223 rifle in my truck, because if the s*** hit the fan I knew I could end it rather quickly, but the Department doesn't authorize either as an off duty weapon.

I always carry my shield and ID, because I enjoy driving fast.

As far as plain clothes, I sometimes carry in plain view in a soft uniform, khaki 511 pants and blue polo with PD lofo on chest. Pistol and shield on right side, cuffs and magazine on the left.

I've been retired for 3 years, but when I was working the general rule of thumb was, if I was carrying my ID and shield I also carried my gun. If for some reason I was not carring the gun, I just carried ID, no shield. The reason being that if you are going to wip out your shield, you'd better have the gun to back it up.

My department is changing the SOP's for off duty carry. Soon it will be mandatory to carry a small off duty wepon(privately owned baby glock or a small .380) when we are out in the area. I personaly don't see the need as we live in a warm climate and from May to Ocober I wear shorts and sandles. I do carry my badge and ID with me at all times.

I've been retired for 3 years, but when I was working the general rule of thumb was, if I was carrying my ID and shield I also carried my gun. If for some reason I was not carring the gun, I just carried ID, no shield. The reason being that if you are going to wip out your shield, you'd better have the gun to back it up.

my father was a police officer for 30 years and he had the same rule. If he wasn't carrying his gun, then he left his shield at home and he would bury is ID behind his drivers license. he always said god forbid something bad happened and he had to empty his pockets and a bad guy saw his shield they would expect him to also have a gun.

My department is changing the SOP's for off duty carry. Soon it will be mandatory to carry a small off duty wepon(privately owned baby glock or a small .380) when we are out in the area. I personaly don't see the need as we live in a warm climate and from May to Ocober I wear shorts and sandles. I do carry my badge and ID with me at all times.

I don't know how the unions are down there in the sunny South but does your union or FOP have any objection to a requirement to carry a firearm? I personally think that if they're requiring it then they should issue it and there have to be some serious exemptions if you're going to the beach, out drinking with the squad, taking the kids to the playground, etc.

Maybe one of our NYPD brothers can enlighten us - didn't NYC have a policy requiring you to carry a long time ago? Is that still the "rule"?

If you're gonna carry the shield, I agree with other posters, you better have more than your smile to back it up!!

The REAL problem is that you guys all live in a state that has trounced your second amendment rights to death. It shouldn't be SCARY to see a handgun in plain view. Now, that's not the best way to carry, but it works. It should also be perfectly legal WITHOUT a permit or shield.

Amen! That story about the teenage [or thereabouts] girl who shot the 2 home intruders later found to be carrying themselfs didn't get nearly the press it deserves.

Remember, criminals prefer unarmed victims!