Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huzzie59

Bronx Fire company squanders $500G in 9/11 money

29 posts in this topic

I was just going to post that WHAT A DISGRACE

Well people keep asking what happened to them. I guess they are pretty much out of service.

Too bad being they had a chance to make a comeback after getting the donations

just a dam shame rember that engine on the various parades throughout the bronx and a firefighter dressed as santa riding ontop of the utility veichle

Fire company squanders $500G in 9/11 money

BY ROBERT GEARTY

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, July 29th 2007

A truck damaged on 9/11, which was then fixed for $60,000, rots in the weeds.

In the days and months after 9/11, more than $530,000 in donations poured in to the Aviation Volunteer Fire Co. of the Bronx after its truck was damaged in the terrorist attacks.

Goldman Sachs donated a new fire truck that cost $164,000. The Franconia Volunteer Fire Department in Virginia donated a used fire truck. TD Waterhouse donated $40,000 to help pay for the repair of the truck damaged near the World Trade Center.

A Manhattan resident who did not want to be identified gave $36,000 to help buy a used ambulance. The East Brentwood Fire Department on Long Island donated a second used ambulance.

Two players on the Knicks, Charlie Ward and Shandon Anderson, gave $5,000 each. And local schoolchildren dug into their piggy banks to donate tens of thousands of nickels and dimes.

Today, the small Bronx fire department is broke — with little to show for the money or how it all disappeared, a Daily News investigation shows.

"It's not a stupid question to ask, 'You guys had almost $500,000 in the bank and all of sudden you sold everything?'" said Aviation Fire Chief William Rivera, 25.

It is a question that does not have an obviously satisfactory answer.

In an interview with The News, Rivera insisted he had not used any of the money to support a nightclub he opened on Westchester Ave. in 2002 or a papaya stand he opened in Parkchester in 2004.

Referring to the volunteer fire company, Rivera said, "That's my heart. I’m giving money into that so it could survive. Why would I take money from that?"

Despite being pressed about the financial matters, Rivera provided no specific documentation and admitted he has not filed federal income tax papers on behalf of the fire company since 2002.

The tax documents for 2002 show income of $530,989 and expenses of just $172,088. In 2001, Aviation reported income of only $19,700.

Rivera said he is still working on tax paperwork for the subsequent years.

"When I update 2006, it will show all the rest of the expenses," he said. "It will probably be in the negative in 2006."

He said Aviation received very few donations since the end of 2002, though it is still possible to make a donation on Aviation's Web site. The listed phone number is out of service.

One yet-to-be-reported donation to Aviation, worth $2,000, is a 14-foot inflatable raft, donated in 2003 by firefighters from Tylersport, Pa.

Aviation still has the raft, but it is filled with puncture holes. It sits on a trailer in a weed-filled lot, next to the fire truck Rivera says was damaged near the corner of Murray and Vesey Sts. as the twin towers collapsed.

"A couple of our guys inquired about six months ago and were told they still had the boat and it was working well," said Tylersport Fire Chief Kimber Moore.

At every turn, Rivera's answers to financial questions raised doubts about what happened to all the money donated post-9/11.

Regarding the ambulance donated by the anonymous donor, Rivera said he spent $8,000 to paint it red.

Rivera also said the ambulance was sold six months ago for $15,000 to an ambulance corps near Syracuse. He said he could not remember the name of the corps.

Rivera said he had hoped to expand Aviation into an ambulance service as well, but acknowledged that the vehicle had never been put into service.

"We never used it on emergency calls," said Rivera. "It's an ambulance and we don't transport. We don't take to a hospital."

He said the used ambulance donated by East Brentwood was, in turn, donated to a home for needy children in Texas in 2003.

Goldman Sachs documents show the firm wrote a check for $280,000 to Aviation. Rivera told The News he ended up buying a cheaper demo model of the 2001 Laverne Spartan truck. When he tried to keep the leftover money, Goldman officials balked and demanded the excess be returned.

Goldman officials said last week that they were unable to confirm that Aviation had returned the extra $116,000, which Rivera insists he did.

In the spring of 2002, then-Goldman Chairman Henry Paulson, who is now U.S. Treasury secretary, drove up to Aviation's ramshackle firehouse on Gildersleeve Ave. in Classon Point for the dedication of the truck.

But just three years later, the truck was sold to a used fire truck dealer in Pennsylvania.

Rivera said he did not know the exact sales price or the name of the dealer, but contended it was sold for more than $130,000.

Fire Chief Richie Caudill of the Beech Island Volunteer Fire Department in South Carolina said his outfit bought the truck from the Pennsylvania dealer for $155,000.

"It's our workhorse," said Beech Island Firefighter John Butts. "We're very fortunate to have been able to find it."

Rivera said he sold the used fire truck donated by the Virginia firefighters for "$15,000 or $18,000" to a dealer in Alabama.

"I forgot who it was," Rivera said. "I think they junked it for steel."

James Wessel, the owner of Brindlee Mountain Fire Apparatus in Union Grove, Ala., told The News he bought the truck from Aviation in February 2004. He said Rivera's sales price estimate "sounds right."

He said he sold the vehicle to a volunteer fire operation in Benld, Ill., in early 2005.

Jeff Monke, a Benld fire captain, said the vehicle is hardly ever used. "The only thing we do with the truck is put it in parades," he said. "We don't use it unless we desperately need it."

Bouyed by the rush of donations, Aviation kicked off an organized fund-raising drive in December 2001 — to raise $900,000 to build a new firehouse and a 9/11 memorial.

Neither has been built.

In fact, Aviation was thrown out of its firehouse in 2003 when the dilapidated building was condemned by the city.

A legal battle ensued between Aviation and the property owner, the Harding Park Homeowners Association.

The suit was dismissed in 2004; Harding Park is building a community center where the firehouse stood on Gildersleeve Ave.

Rivera said Aviation's plight necessitated selling off the vehicles.

He said a shed is being built next to the Point Yacht club on the water in Classon Point to serve as a temporary firehouse.

The foundation has been finished, but nothing else.

The shed will house the fire truck that was damaged when the World Trade Center was destroyed.

Rivera says the truck — nicknamed Betsy — was repaired with $60,000 worth of donations, but it sits rotting on the yacht club's weeded lot, parked next to two abandoned vehicles that Aviation used as a transport van and a chief's car and the damaged inflatable raft.

In calculating where the money went, Rivera said it cost $77,000 a year to pay for equipment storage, insurance, pagers and fuel.

"When we put the fire engine away, we still did calls with a van," he said.

He said it cost $10,000, plus some of his own money, to send people to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. He said Aviation firefighters made two two-week trips to search for survivors.

He said he has also spent money on lawyers, to buy new gear, to purchase high-tech cameras and to pay for an architect.

Aviation is one of 10 volunteer fire departments in New York City, most of which are located in formerly small beach communities.

Aviation was started in 1923 and got its name from an airfield that used to be located in Classon Point.

Rivera became chief seven years ago when he was 18. He said he was the youngest elected fire chief in the United States. He's a part-time flight attendant and an FDNY EMT on a leave of absence.

Ventures went down in flames

Fire chief William Rivera is also an unsuccessful businessman.

Fresh off a rush of post-9/11 donations to his Aviation Volunteer Fire Co., Rivera opened a nightclub in 2002 at 2371 Westchester Ave. in the Bronx.

Rivera said he started the business in the hopes of making enough money to build his grandmother a house.

Cops closed the Casbah Lounge in March 2003 for selling liquor to minors after citing the club on three occasions.

Then, in 2004, Rivera and his stepfather were sued for nonpayment of rent.

In February, they settled after agreeing to pay $33,000.

But Rivera and his stepfather apparently never kept their end of the bargain and on July 17, the building's landlord obtained a judgement against them for $68,278.

Also in 2004, Rivera opened a papaya stand in Parkchester. But the stand also was closed after less than a year in business.

Rivera said he financed those enterprises by taking out business loans. "I just finished paying them off," he said last week.

REALLY NICE!!!!! :(

DISGRACE!

REALLY NICE!!!!! :(

DISGRACE!

I know nothing about the legalities that would insue because of wrong doing by anyone involved in the inability to account for this loss of money etc. But, would hope that someone does some serious investigations into all of this.

This is a very big disgrace!!!! :angry:

I read the article and the "chief's" only answer for things was "I don't know." BS he didn't know. He embezzled the money from the fire company so that he could float some personal businesses on the side.

This is a disgrace One thing that I have to point out that strikes me as unusual was that their chief was elected when he was 18. Not trying to criticize anyone but maybe that had something to do with their financial trouble

There's not much left of Aviation. He's chief more or less because he's the one around that wants it. Hopefully the truth about this money comes out and he gets whats coming to him. Sadly I think aviation is as good as dead.

What i got from reading, they have no apparatus and no money, but respond in a van which i am guessing has some " high-tech cameras ". Um do these guys actually goto calls? i would think that the FDNY would be covering these areas and these guys just do traffic control. if you have no apparatus and no firehouse, what are you responding with? "We are on scene and watching. it's going good"

Also, a 18 year old chief is not a good sign. He can't know how to keep books and he is selling everything off. I am sure the money was all in his bar and in his pocket. he is young and thought "who would know?" this is going to turn out real bad for him.

I don't know exactly what they did or how any of the volley co actually operate, but I know avaiation has been completely OOS for at least 2 years now.

Something certainly smells rotten in Da Bronx. I just hope this situation hasn't impacted other vollie companies ability to raise funds.

Um I was going to say something but now "I don't remember".

How did he get all the courses one needs for officer. How the hell did he get Chief?

Warm body syndrome?

Um I was going to say something but now "I don't remember".

How did he get all the courses one needs for officer. How the hell did he get Chief?

Warm body syndrome?

I doubt he has any of the qualifications to do the job but he got himself elected and bought a spiffy uniform for all the pictures taken when he accepted donations from people. He could not have taken all the courses required of a real fire officer and he sure didn't have any experience.

How many people are in that FD anyway? No board? Nobody to look over his shoulder? Come on?! This is crap - it gives the whole service a black eye and bad name.

I hope they throw his crooked a$$ in jail! Disgraceful.

Anyone know why he's on a leave of absence from FDNY EMS?

Edited by velcroMedic1987

I remember reading about their rigs after 9/11/01. I know that they were surprised at the fact that they had one damaged but ended up with three. But what I found strangest about this recent story was that they kept the oldest rig, and got rid of the two new rigs. Now if they really did not have the resopurces (manpower, storage, funding, whatever) to keep that big a fleet, then why not keep one of the newer rigs, like that demo rig. I understand tradition, but even the most traditional departments update equipmnet occasionally.

I also wonder if this was not criminal so much as inexperience and careless spending. Having that kind of money in the bank with out financial experience could have lead to bad spending habbits, that future fund drives couldn't keep up with. I hope he did not take the money for himself or his failed ventures, but I wonder if he paid far too much for what he did buy, simply because he wasn't thinking about the future.

They are a Volunteer Company that should have been abolished long ago. They are dispatched by no one. They listen to the scanner and buff their calls. The only reason they received any donations at all is because every one fely bad for the poor underpriveledged folks from the Bronx. Their engine was not even destroyed. It just had it's front windshield broken.

This is going to hurt the other vollie departments in the city. Broad Channel has been trying to raise funds to build a new firehouse for a few years now. Aviation "protects" an area south of 96 Engine. IMHO the only reason they were left to exist is because it is a long haul for 96/54 to get down there.

They aren't turned out by us, and most of the dealings I had with them in my tenure as a dispatcher in Da Bronx were less than pleasant. I have heard them on the old handi talkies drilling in the projects near their area, as if they're actually gonna go in there, or beat 96/54 into a box. Sorry, but these folks were shady after the 11th, and now they're being called on the carpet for it. I do have to agree with the question, why didn't they keep the Spartan and have the ALF refurbed again.

Edited by JBE

This will make things harder for the other VFD's in the city that are doing the right thing. Like JBE said this will hurt the Broad Channel and West Hamilton Beach plus all the others.

If anyone would like to see what there web page looks like here it is. http://www.aviation3.com/

This is a note from the "Chief" of Aviation FD from 2005

The Aviation Volunteer Fire Department provides high quality, professional emergency medical and fire protection services to the Clason Point, Soundview and Castle Hill areas. The Fire Department covers a 5-square-mile area in the southeast corner of Bronx County. Serving a population of more than 60,000, the Fire Department delivers a full range of emergency services including fire prevention and education, fire suppression, emergency medical services, and water rescues and rescue operations.

Aviation is committed to providing the best emergency service possible to the community. This is accomplished in part by maintaining highly trained personnel and providing them with the highest quality equipment.

Aviation values the residents, businesses and visitors of our communities and we are proud to serve you. On behalf of all of the men and women of the Aviation Volunteer Fire Department, I thank you for your support and recognition of our commitment to you.

As our community transcends into the 21st Century the Aviation Volunteer Fire Department will be expected to assess, adapt and address our community's Fire, Emergency Medical Service, Rescue, Fire Prevention and Public Education needs and develop plans and programs that will efficiently and effectively meet those requirements. The Aviation Volunteer Fire Department, through its ongoing commitment to the community will continue to identify the needs of its customers in an effort to meet those ever changing demands. As the Fire Chief I will do my best to ensure that this agency continues to meet and exceed the expectations of the citizens of the Bronx, New York.

If you have time, please feel free to explore our web site. I believe you will find it interesting and informative. If you have any questions, comments or observations about our organization or if you would like any additional information regarding our organization and/or the services we provide please feel free to email us. Our email address is emailbox@aviation3.com.

Sincerely,

lil' Chief William Rivera

lil birdie whispered in my ear that the Bronx DA is looking into this and so is

NY State agencies.

I guess this story opened some eyes.

GOOD!

This department has had problems with finances for years. When I say years. I mean like 30 or so. The problem in this case I don't think was the fact that the Chief was 18 ( a whole nother issue) but the fact that this department went from having virtually no money, and literally no place to quarter their equipment and apparatus to having more money and equipment than a good majority of departments up here.

This department has had problems with finances for years. When I say years. I mean like 30 or so. The problem in this case I don't think was the fact that the Chief was 18 ( a whole nother issue) but the fact that this department went from having virtually no money, and literally no place to quarter their equipment and apparatus to having more money and equipment than a good majority of departments up here.

I'm missing something here. What is the story that started this thread?

i,m so sorry to hear this. however they seemed to be good buch of people when i had some

meetings with them but their chief should be in jail :(

Grumpy,

Go to page 1 of this topic and click on the link or read the story I posted from

the same link.

Rob

Got some more info on Aviation at work today. They ceased operation as a VFD in 2002. At this time they are on NYC Parks Dept property (100 year lease for $1) with a hand poured crooked foundation that the membership put together. The original plan to have a contractor come in and put up a shed type structure on the foundation had to be scrapped as the foundation was deemed unsuitable. There is zero to show for all the money they received. This guy is toast.

Just sad man, just sad. Who would have thought.

I actually knew a member from this fire co. years ago...I worked with his wife at Empress, so I have been to their building once, maybe twice, well their old building that is. It was just south of the Soundview Projects (yeah the bad ones) and just off of the Southern tip of White Plains Rd. The premise was dilapidated to say the least, and the area they talk about covering is a waste! Harding Park is disgusting, it is an attempt to pull off a village like atmosphere in the South Bronx on the LI Sound Channel...Houses appear to have maybe a concrete flat as the foundation and none look as though anyone ever thought to paint them. It kind of reminded me of all the redneck jokes we love to hear, just didn't make sense cause of where it is.

So prior to all of these donations, I wonder where they got their funds from to run the place at all. I never did ask, unfortunately. Running off donations is hard enough, but when your area is basically low income, and "who cares" type people, then how do you do it? Was the City giving them money too? And how did they work with the FDNY and have their own chief? Wouldn't they fall under the FDNY's incident commander on all incidents they responded too, or were they entitled to fight their own fire (so to say)? Give me $500,000 dollars and I bet it will be worth a couple of mill in a few years...it is called investing...Yes, you have expenses but you have to set priorities. To get a 100 year lease on Parks Dept. property for $1 now that is a deal, add a shed type building, even a pre-built steel or tin building for the fire truck and gear and it will probably cost you $150,000 completely outfitted. Keep 1 fire engine, cause that is probably all that you can man and in turn donate the others back to departments that need it more. Well, this is going to far...

I have a feeling they had a few parties to boost morale...And I am sure the DA's office and State Investigators are going to have trouble tracking the expenses, cause I doubt they saved receipts!!!!!

Sometimes donations are viewed as money not accountable to the public because they are donations and not money from taxes which I feel is wrong. People are donating money in good faith and under the impression that the money is needed for things such as equipment and to cover necessary operating costs so I feel every dollar should be accountable to the public.

On another note I remember having a few of the Avation guys in my basic firefigher class back in the early 2000's and they were great guys and very eager to learn.