Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Condensing The Forums-Your Input Wanted!

16 posts in this topic

Members-

I'm considering condensing the number of forum sections to make it easier, quicker, and more streamlined to read and post, while at the same time having specific enough forums to keep everything organized.

The reason why we have very specific forums is to cultivate more discussion, but at the same time we feel that a more concise forum would be easier to browse and for members to know where to post their topics.

On the chopping block (based on a number of different factors):

Fire & EMS Tools And Equipment -> Section would be deleted, equipment would be discussed in applicable forum (Fire, EMS, Police, etc)

In Quarters -> Section would be deleted, would be discussed in applicable forum (Fire, EMS, Police, etc)

Cars,Trucks,Planes,Boats,Trains, EMTBravo Book Club & Diecast Collectibles -> Sections would be merged with The Lounge

Training, Health, And Safety -> Section would be deleted, training health and safety would be discussed in applicable forum (Fire, EMS, Police, etc)

New & Upcoming Delivery Discussion- Would be merged with Apparatus forum.

Your thoughts??? Please add to this thread.

Fire & EMS Tools And Equipment -> Section would be deleted, equipment would be discussed in applicable forum (Fire, EMS, Police, etc)

In Quarters -> Section would be deleted, would be discussed in applicable forum (Fire, EMS, Police, etc)

Training, Health, And Safety -> Section would be deleted, training health and safety would be discussed in applicable forum (Fire, EMS, Police, etc)

Weren't some, or all of these in their respective groups before? seems to me, if memory serves correctly, that they were split up to allow more attention to be given to issues in the Fire, EMS, Ploice groups. I could be wrong, but I have a recollection of something like that happening a while back. But if it does make it more consise, I'm all for it.

Personally, I think the Cars,Trucks,Planes,Boats,Trains, EMTBravo Book Club & Diecast Collectibles sections can be deleted, as well.

I think you should leave Training & Safety the same and delete the others

I think you should leave Training & Safety the same and delete the others

My issue with Training And Safety is that it can be redundant to the other forums.

In its place, I would create a "Training Oppurtunities" section, where people could post various training oppurtunities.

My issue with Training And Safety is that it can be redundant to the other forums.

In its place, I would create a "Training Oppurtunities" section, where people could post various training oppurtunities.

I think that we should keep Training and Safety a separate forum, just because they are an important topic that should remain a major focus of this board.

Just my 2 cents.

-Jared

I think that we should keep Training and Safety a separate forum, just because they are an important topic that should remain a major focus of this board.

Just my 2 cents.

-Jared

I feel it's confusing for the membership. It's too broad a category for the current forum, and and one I feel is and can be covered by the sector-specific forums that are broad enough to include Training and Safety for every line.

I understand both sides and I lean towards leaving the Training & Safety forum separate...but if you want to move it or condense it I support your decision and certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

On a side note and this is a bit late...but how did the points awarded per topic posted under come to fruition. It just seems to me that some of the truly important topics to post under have a lesser point value then and no disrespect to anyone the purely buff topics.

I understand both sides and I lean towards leaving the Training & Safety forum separate...but if you want to move it or condense it I support your decision and certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

On a side note and this is a bit late...but how did the points awarded per topic posted under come to fruition. It just seems to me that some of the truly important topics to post under have a lesser point value then and no disrespect to anyone the purely buff topics.

I'm currently evaluating the points program and plan to make some changes. The current point scheme was done quickly and for experimental purposes. Now that I can see how it's working, I can make some adjustments.

I believe what ever is easier for all the members to follow.

I'm currently evaluating the points program and plan to make some changes. The current point scheme was done quickly and for experimental purposes. Now that I can see how it's working, I can make some adjustments.

Thanks brother you are always proactive. Not that I didn't already know that about you anyway. I just didn't understand how making a post in fire or ems threads gets you 5 points...but something (and I don't mean this negative just in a professional sense) not as serious as the diecast trains planes thing can get you like 30. Aren't we here to learn and share?

Looking forward to any updates.

Seth,

as always you are proving to be imaginative and proactive. I don't see a problem with anything your proposing.

I would say that the following are the most important:

Incident Alerts: (broken up by geography)

Incident Workshops: (catch all)

Fire/Rescue Operations:

EMS Operations:

Law Enforcement Operations:

Emergency Services Equipment (non-apparatus catch all)

Apparatus/In Quarters: (catch all)

Training: (catch all)

Media Share: (catch all video/photo/protection from the past)

The Lounge: (This should represent Fire/Rescue/EMS discussion not held in the main forums)

What I would limit is the discussions that don't pertain to emergency services. There are plenty of sites out there that discuss planes, trains, and automobiles. EMTBravo happens to do a good job discussing emergency services without degrading people like similar forums do..... So I say lets stick to what EMTBravo does best.... Emergency Services &......Leave the other stuff to those who don't protect others. If we need it, Google will find a website to explain it to us.

Training, Health, And Safety -> Section would be deleted, training health and safety would be discussed in applicable forum (Fire, EMS, Police, etc

I would like to see the training,health, and safety Section remain. It provides an easy path to find new training seminars, ideas,etc. This is one place I look on all fire and ems forums and has proven invaluable.

My issue with Training And Safety is that it can be redundant to the other forums

Redundancy in this area is a good thing. Repetition of training, health, and Safety issues helps keep them in the forefront and helps make good practices automatic.

I personally enjoy and find useful the In Quarters forum. I placed a question some time ago and had many wonderful answers re: old firehouses that were vacated, reused by other municipal or othe commercial interests. I'd like it to stay in some fashion. Jim

I agree with ALS. I think training and safety should stand on its own and be a catch-all - especially since some training and safety issues may overlap more than one discipline.

I also think the idea for a "Training Opportunties" forum is a great idea. One stop shopping where everyone can post course announcements.