Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New FDNY EMS Station In The Bronx At Former Ladder Co. 39's Quarters

21 posts in this topic

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta announced on August 15 plans to construct a new state-of-the-art EMS station at the former quarters of Ladder Company 39 in the Bronx.

Located at 243 East 233rd Street near the Bronx River Parkway, the facility will serve residents in the Bronx communities of Woodlawn, Riverdale and Kingsbridge, consolidating the work of six ambulances based out of three stations into a single facility.

At an estimated cost of $12.4 million, the new EMS facility at the 5,300-square-foot lot will include a captain’s office, training and equipment storage areas, and a separate decontamination area, as well as locker facilities and bathrooms for up to 100 employees.

Since the 1996 merger of the Fire Department and EMS, the number of EMS facilities constructed by the City has nearly doubled, with nine stations built and opened since 2002. There are currently 29 EMS stations and three outposts located throughout the five boroughs.

In June 2006, firefighters from Ladder Company 39 were temporarily relocated to the quarters of Engine Company 63, because of the structural deterioration of the century-old firehouse, the last wood frame firehouse in the City.

Ladder Company 39’s new home is less than seven-tenths of one mile away from its former location.

From June 12, 2006 to June 11, 2007, Ladder Company 39’s travel times to all structural fires dropped 55 seconds, from 4:51 to 3:56 when compared to the previous year, as did overall travel times, which decreased 27 seconds from 4:57 to 4:30.

During the same period, travel time to structural fires in the Woodlawn section increased only slightly, from 4:12 to 4:17, while firefighters responded to more total emergencies, from 1,172 to 1,719.

In Fiscal Year 2007, the citywide average travel time to structural fires for all ladder companies was 4:50.

L39 demolition is to begin the beginning of '08 with a new EMS bat 27 completed sometime in 2010. On a similar note there's a new station 3 about to break ground soon and two new stations in the pipe for Manhattan.

Anyone have pics of 39 Truck's old HQ? Is it worth the trip down to see? Anyone have the exact address of the old station?

243 E. 233rd St., Bronx, which is between E. 234th St and Katonah Av.

Looks like their getting closer to having an EMS station in every battalion. By the way, what's the story behind EMS station 55 in Da' Bronx? I've noticed there is no (fire) battalion 55.

There are still two or three stations or outposts that still don't correspond to actual fire battalions. They occur anywhere two stations lie inside the same battalion. Yeah, a station in every battalion would be nice. Its only one of the many key selling points of the merger 11 years ago. The biggest upside is these coming stations all but ensure EMS and fire will remain separate. EMS definitely needs some more attention, and should be maintained as its own entity.

Station 55 if I remember is in the Old Fire Battalion 55's area from the war years.

There were the 55 and 56 Battalions in the Bronx back in the day. I believe they were disbanded in the mid 80's. The 55 came out of 73 and 42, and the 56 came out of 46 and 27.

EMS Battalion 55 is stationed out of the old tin house that quartered Engine 85 and Ladder 59(prior to 59 moving up to Sedgwick Avenue, and 85 being disbanded to re-organize L-53 in 1986).

Where are they planning to put EMS Bn 3??

Where are they planning to put EMS Bn 3??

When they announced the land acquasition almost a year ago it was described as being on Zerega Av at Randall Av. But thats a Home Depot.

Actually, youre right partyrock that is the Home Depot. There is a lot either right behind or right next to the Home Depot that is going to be the home of the new station.

I hadn't thought about the third watch connection. LOL

ny10570 sir, where are u getting ur information from concerning the placement and names of the ems batts? I would like to confirm this info so I can pass it along to others. thanks.

Casson jr

The info is all out there. You just have to ask the right people. Batt 3 was announced a while back when the dept finally purchased the land. Batt 27 plans were announced with some inaccuracies by "The Chief" a few weeks ago. A Manhattan Capt first told me about the new Manhattan Battalions 9 and 13 (the actual batt #'s are speculation). Call me paranoid but I don't like posting where I get info from because you never know who is reading what and what they'll do with it. I'll PM you Casson because I've seen around here a lot. To anyone else who reads this info, take it for what it is. Its information posted by a faceless screen name. I don't have any special connections. I just make an effort to ask the people in the know when I see them. They are all easily approachable.

When they announced the land acquasition almost a year ago it was described as being on Zerega Av at Randall Av. But thats a Home Depot.

A new Home Depot is being built @Bruckner Blvd. & Brush Avenue. When that opens they will be closing down the Zerega store.

The Home Depot is going up where the self storage place is(former Revlon factory)??

A new Home Depot is being built @Bruckner Blvd. & Brush Avenue. When that opens they will be closing down the Zerega store.

Where did you hear that? There aren't any lots on Bruckner and Brush that are anywhere near the size of the Zerega lot that I can think of. If ny10570 is right the home depot doesn't match the time frame for the new station. There's not a lot of room on that side lot. I can't see any sense in building something just to have a building town town on top of you.

39 Truck is now housed with 63 Engine in the 15th Batt correct?

Edited by drobison82

The Home Depot is going up on the lots formerly occupied by Atlantic Express, across the street from what appears to be a Snapple/soft drink distributor. This should create a nightmare of traffic on Brush and the surrounding intersections.

Where did you hear that? There aren't any lots on Bruckner and Brush that are anywhere near the size of the Zerega lot that I can think of. If ny10570 is right the home depot doesn't match the time frame for the new station. There's not a lot of room on that side lot. I can't see any sense in building something just to have a building town town on top of you.

Drive by when you get a chance. It is almost complete. It is directly acroos from the movie theatre.

Yes Ladder 39 is now in quarters with Engine 63 and the 15 Battalion. That firehouse is also going to be expanding soon. Renovations are in planning stages