Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xfirefighter484x

Organ Donation Vehicles

41 posts in this topic

I am not 100% positive who the person was, but someone made the ultimate gift.

Dec10_0002.jpg

Dec10_0003.jpg

Dec10_0004.jpg

Dec10_0001.jpg

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Last year I saw that Expedition (with the LED) hauling up Rt. 9. First I even heard of a ground organ transplant vehicle with red lights.

This organization had 3 vehicles there. The Excursion, the Expedition, and something that looked to be a Chevy Astrovan, all outfitted with red lights, and they all left the hospital Code 3.

I only caught the last of the vehicles leaving, and I got a bad video taken from my camera phone (same as the pictures) because I felt retarded for leaving my camera home by accident that particular day.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

why do they have new jersey plates?

Over the summer, I saw their Astrovan with lights and sirens on heading south on the Sprain at Grasslands Rd after leaving WMC. At first I thought it was a NY State Police vehicle until it went past me.

Edited by GFD538

Well the vehicles are probably registered in NJ!

they might be registered in nj but then why do they say New York Organ Donor Network on the side??

they might be registered in nj but then why do they say New York Organ Donor Network on the side??

They are a private organization, not run by NYS. I talked with a man who claimed was the owner of the company. Now, by a Network, lets look at the EMTBravo NETWORK. Its not set to any particular state, county, or region anymore. It is only REGISTERED to a domain.

Besides, sr71 is a friend, and I only made that comment to bust his chops!

If its me or a family member waiting for my transplant I don't care if its registered on Mars! LOL.

wow xfirefighter484x no need to flip out, i was only asking a question bc i thought it was run by NYS and i was interested. last time i ask a question in one of your topics

wow xfirefighter484x no need to flip out, i was only asking a question bc i thought it was run by NYS and i was interested. last time i ask a question in one of your topics

LOL. He's actually one of the nicest well spoken guys you could meet. If anything you are over sensitive. He answered your question...relax brother its not that serious and certainly not personal.

im not sayin hes not a nice guy i just thought that saying, "Now, by a Network, lets look at the EMTBravo NETWORK. Its not set to any particular state, county, or region anymore. It is only REGISTERED to a domain" wasnt needed.

I am a strong advocate of the organ donor program. I am listed as an organ donor myself and they may harvest any organs needed. Aside for putting yourself in harms way and dying in the process of a heroic act, donating your organs so another person may continue to live is a selfless act.

I never knew there was a transport vehicle such as this out there. It is great because getting organs transported rapidly is a top priority. I am not asking to be a ball buster and I dont really care if there is not anything in writing about it, but is there anything in the NYS VTL regading organ transport vehicles and the use if red lights and sirens on them?

Also, I heard at one time that the medivacs from our area also fly the organs to where they need to go. Is this true?

Have any of you ever seen the movie, Rat Race?

Remember how Mr. Bean and Wayne Knight (Newman from Seinfeld) attempt to deliver the heart?

I hope those people driving those cars dont pick up hitch hikers!

When did you see this vehicle? They may have been delivering organs too. I know a few days ago the guy who was thrown from a vehicle on Rt 376 & Diddell Rd in New Hackensack donated his organs (according to the Poughkeepsie Journal.)

None the less, if your organs are in decant shape donate them otherwise they will just rot away.

Its more common for them to utilize fixed wing as opposed to rotor wing aircraft, for they are usually heading long distances. Its not terribly time sensitive, there is a few hour window to get things done, so using rotor assets really isn't needed. While I was at STAT Flight, we did a few of them. We once flew down to Philly to pick up the team, flew them to WMC to harvest and back to Philly to use the organs. LONG night of flying. Good scenery, long night.

We also did maintain a list of local folks on lists in the NE for transplant. We did pick a few up from home and bring them where they needed to go. If it was the city, it was usually a waste of time to use the a/c thanks to the draconian laws put in place by Mayor Guiliani's administration. But, medevac in and around NYC is a topic for another day.

This is what I find interesting. If this truck were part of a hospital or hospital cooperative (as NJ loves to do), then it would have commercial plates starting with the letter "X." If this truck were part of a charitable organization, then it would have plates that read "NF," for "no [registration] fee." (In NJ, certain entities that are granted charitable status have their registration fees waived.) If this truck were government-sponsored, then it would have plates that read "MG" (Municipal), "CG" (County) or "SG" (State). But, according to the plates, it's just an ordinary passenger vehicle. Why does it have a light bar and siren package? Don't get me wrong, I think that organ donation and transport is necessary (I'm a donor myself), but where does this entity get the authority to drive around in the manner that some people have described here?

I would assume that since they can't fly ALL the time, this is the alternative if its not a major distance. Besides, i wouldn't want to be the cop that stopped one of these trucks to ask, "Do you have authorization for these red lights?" meanwhile, they are in the process of trying to save someones life with precious cargo.... and they certainly couldn't do ground transports without red lights, it would take alot more valuable time.

I am not 100% positive who the person was, but someone made the ultimate gift.

When did you see this vehicle? They may have been delivering organs too. I know a few days ago the guy who was thrown from a vehicle on Rt 376 & Diddell Rd in New Hackensack donated his organs (according to the Poughkeepsie Journal.)

None the less, if your organs are in decant shape donate them otherwise they will just rot away.

;) ;)

Well JetPhoto, you hit the nail on the head. I didn't want to come right out and say WHO it was, without it being a matter of public record already.

While I was at work, these individuals came through all day as the body was being harvested. From what I had been told, it was that particular individual, but as I said, didn't want to single it out without full details being present!

LOL. He's actually one of the nicest well spoken guys you could meet. If anything you are over sensitive. He answered your question...relax brother its not that serious and certainly not personal.

Thank you for the support ALS.

ac316scu, this was not meant as an internet shouting match (as some CAPS conversations are). I merely used CAPS to draw attention to NETWORK. I am sorry you got offended, but it was not meant to be offensive towards you.

I never knew there was a transport vehicle such as this out there. It is great because getting organs transported rapidly is a top priority. I am not asking to be a ball buster and I dont really care if there is not anything in writing about it, but is there anything in the NYS VTL regading organ transport vehicles and the use if red lights and sirens on them?

Also, I heard at one time that the medivacs from our area also fly the organs to where they need to go. Is this true?

....but where does this entity get the authority to drive around in the manner that some people have described here?

I would assume that since they can't fly ALL the time, this is the alternative if its not a major distance. Besides, i wouldn't want to be the cop that stopped one of these trucks to ask, "Do you have authorization for these red lights?" meanwhile, they are in the process of trying to save someones life with precious cargo.... and they certainly couldn't do ground transports without red lights, it would take alot more valuable time.

I wholeheartedly agree, and it made me curious too, about the VTL "requirements" or whatever section authorizes them to use red lights and sirens, and I have been searching online with little to no success (a lot of info on how to BECOME a donor).

Also, as far as flying, yes, they do sometimes fly, but the weather that day was less than favorable, and I am not sure if the air crews didn't want to fly due to that fact.

I am a strong advocate of the organ donor program. I am listed as an organ donor myself and they may harvest any organs needed. Aside for putting yourself in harms way and dying in the process of a heroic act, donating your organs so another person may continue to live is a selfless act.

There are fixed wing resources that do organ transports for long distances. Our PD has picked up the organs at the airport and transported them to the hospital to expedite their arrival too. They're mainly volunteer pilots who donate their time to ferry the organ(s) where they need to go - the nice thing about using airplanes is that they're able to fly IFR (instrument rules) in bad weather. Most helicopters won't (or can't) fly IFR.

I always thought organ transport vehicles were defined in the VTL but when I re-read it after this post I see that it only defines "blood transport vehicles". I checked NJ but couldn't find anything related to them - I thought that was why they were operating out of (or at least registering their vehicles in) New Jersey. So, the short answer is that it appears (unless someone else can find the regulation) that they have no authority to operate as an emergency vehicle in New York.

Frankly, I'd rather see these vehicles operating with lights and siren instead of the ASPCA "police". But that's been discussed in another thread already. :lol:

By the time the organ has been removed from the donor, how long do you typically have to transport and transplant the organ to someone else?

By the time the organ has been removed from the donor, how long do you typically have to transport and transplant the organ to someone else?

Depends on the organ. Some have a out of body 'life' of 3-4 hours (heart), some can go up to 12 hours (kidney), IIRC.

Have any of you ever seen the movie, Rat Race?

Remember how Mr. Bean and Wayne Knight (Newman from Seinfeld) attempt to deliver the heart?

I hope those people driving those cars dont pick up hitch hikers!

Rat Race is an excellent movie!!

There are fixed wing resources that do organ transports for long distances. Our PD has picked up the organs at the airport and transported them to the hospital to expedite their arrival too. They're mainly volunteer pilots who donate their time to ferry the organ(s) where they need to go - the nice thing about using airplanes is that they're able to fly IFR (instrument rules) in bad weather. Most helicopters won't (or can't) fly IFR.

I always thought organ transport vehicles were defined in the VTL but when I re-read it after this post I see that it only defines "blood transport vehicles". I checked NJ but couldn't find anything related to them - I thought that was why they were operating out of (or at least registering their vehicles in) New Jersey. So, the short answer is that it appears (unless someone else can find the regulation) that they have no authority to operate as an emergency vehicle in New York.

Frankly, I'd rather see these vehicles operating with lights and siren instead of the ASPCA "police". But that's been discussed in another thread already. :lol:

Chris... while I agree with you that I would much rather have these vehicles as emergency vehicles than the ASPCA ... there are several questions that are raised.

First and foremost.... Have the drivers of these vehicles undergone any sort of emergency vehicle operations training? This is not only a liability issue but also a public safety issue for other motorists.

Second... What happens if one of these vehicles gets in an accident? They are almost automatically at fault since they are operating lights and sirens in direct violation of the VTL (In New York State).

Finally... wouldn't it be easier to have the local PD transport any organs than have to worry about any of these potential factors? (Especially if by helicopter on overtime!!!!) :)

I don't think that having PD transporting organs is a good idea at all. First, I'm sure there is some sort of training and knowledge involved. Second. It's not their job I couldn't see how you could justify all of the over time. I'm sure that some of the pilots on here wouldn't mind doing some extra flying though lol

Funny - I looked at the pictures, and then some of the comments, and my first thought was not on the lights, but rather, "Why the heck do they need a truck the size of an Excusion to deliver an organ, or even a few organs? You could deliver a few whole bodies in that thing... "

Now I realize that an organ is delivered in a cooler, adding a little bulk, (as opposed to, say, a zip-lock baggie), but you can put a whole lotta coolers in a truck that big...

And, then there's the fuel costs, and the price of the truck itself.... Okay, now I'm getting carried away, sorry.

Edited by wcr20