Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdny2003

Departments Requiring EMT or Paramedic Certs.

21 posts in this topic

How many fire departments require either an EMT or a Paramedic certification before joining or being able to be in full active service?

How many fire departments require either an EMT or a Paramedic certification before joining or being able to be in full active service?

None that you want to be employed by. They are 2 totally different jobs that require years of training and experience to master. Departments that also run ambulances are in cities with union-busting commisioners, chiefs and mayors who are trying to save a buck anyway they can. They create unhappy worplaces and shortchange their citizens on emergency services. Decide if you want to be a FF or a medic and test/apply accordingly. Both can be rewarding careers...good luck.

Weasel, what are you thinking? Requiring first responders to have additional medical training would be beneficial to everyone, especially the public whom you are sworn to serve. Maybe you need to open your mind and grow up a bit. If each firefighter were a paramedic, that would increase the survival rate of cardiac arrest and such by reducing the response times of ALS intervention. Imagine that, a system that could actually save lives by putting people out on the street trained to the best that we know! Why can't we add personnel to staff the ambulances, so if a single Engine Co. added a bus to the station, instead of 4 working men, now we would have 6, 2 assigned to the EMS crew. Now a job comes in and all 6 go, next call in area and the engine goes and starts the job while waiting for either the next avail bus to get there or if there crew is on the way back from the hospital they respond straight in and the medic performing care on the scene switches places with the one of the guys on the bus for this particular job! Talk about an efficient system...Just a dream though, especially if people keep thinking the way you are!

As for the original question, there are none in Westchester, however Albany may have something similar pretty soon I think. Isn't LAFD also doing this? and Metro Dade (Miami)? Interesting...cause this would increase jobs, productivity, and reduce dependency on 3rd party services such as private, for profit EMS services that don't screen workers very well, and just put a "butt" in the seat!

None that you want to be employed by. They are 2 totally different jobs that require years of training and experience to master. Departments that also run ambulances are in cities with union-busting commisioners, chiefs and mayors who are trying to save a buck anyway they can. They create unhappy worplaces and shortchange their citizens on emergency services. Decide if you want to be a FF or a medic and test/apply accordingly. Both can be rewarding careers...good luck.

:huh:

Every department in FL requires that you be an EMT before joining. Most department south of Orlando require before even applying that you have your medic. These department such as miami-dade, orlando, daytona beach fire, are all incredible departments to work for...

Sorry Oswego but contrary to some big shots in the IAFF and a couple of "left coast" fire chiefs, EMS and firefighting are not similar jobs. The only thing they have in common is driving a vehicle to an emergency scene with lights and sirens. I am not a "problEMS" guy, I have all the respect in the world for EMS. I did it paid for 3 years and did it volly 2 years in college, but trust me they are completely different jobs requiring totally different skills. As for the manpower scenario you brought up its obvious you never worked a large city that actually has fires as either EMS or FD. After you bring the 10th ETOH or abd pain to the hospital and are about to get off tour the last thing you want is to stretch a 2 1/2 into a taxpayer or start cutting a roof on an OLT.

Remember aside from a few hardcore buffs, how many guys take the fire test to ride an ambulance? how many EMT's and medics really want to ride a firetruck? Think of how many females and smaller males that are great techs and medics that would be out of a job if the services combined?

Sorry Oswego but contrary to some big shots in the IAFF and a couple of "left coast" fire chiefs, EMS and firefighting are not similar jobs. The only thing they have in common is driving a vehicle to an emergency scene with lights and sirens. I am not a "problEMS" guy, I have all the respect in the world for EMS. I did it paid for 3 years and did it volly 2 years in college, but trust me they are completely different jobs requiring totally different skills. As for the manpower scenario you brought up its obvious you never worked a large city that actually has fires as either EMS or FD. After you bring the 10th ETOH or abd pain to the hospital and are about to get off tour the last thing you want is to stretch a 2 1/2 into a taxpayer or start cutting a roof on an OLT.

Remember aside from a few hardcore buffs, how many guys take the fire test to ride an ambulance? how many EMT's and medics really want to ride a firetruck? Think of how many females and smaller males that are great techs and medics that would be out of a job if the services combined?

So now you are saying that there should be size and gender requirements for firefighters! Okay, I got your point, thanks for expressing it so well!

Guess some people don't realize this is the 21st century yet, and the bucket brigades have since moved on!

Oh and yeah, I never worked in a large city as an EMT or anything, or even dispatch for one...I am just talking out of my rear!

Edited by Oswegowind

City of Poughkeepsie FD requires their members to be EMTs (not sure if its at the time of hire though), Arlington FD (Town of Pok) has Career FF/EMTs and FF/Paramedics, Lagrange FD also has FF/EMTs and FF/Paramedics.

So how do you handle auto accidents where you come from. If the person is trapped in the car do you guys just flip a coin and let either EMS work on them till they die in the car or do you guys cut the person out of the car and throw them on the ground because EMS and fire have nothing in common so....... Just a thought.

I can think of very few fire departments both career and volunteer that do not run on at least priority 1 EMS or cardiac arrests. Your theory of reverse evolution is interesting to say the least.

City of Poughkeepsie FD requires their members to be EMTs (not sure if its at the time of hire though), Arlington FD (Town of Pok) has Career FF/EMTs and FF/Paramedics, Lagrange FD also has FF/EMTs and FF/Paramedics.

And the patient care in the area is exceptional!

Weasel - what are you thinking? EMS IS indeed PART of the fire service - like it or not....

Add New Rochelle (pronounced nurashell) to the list of cities requiring you to become an EMT before your 1 yr probation is up and it is also required to be promoted to lieutenant.

KE

You EMS lovers are missing his point. The only thing that EMS has to do with FD is that in many locations it is what warrants the FD's existence. Maybe what should have been stated was something about transports. If I never went on another EMS run again I would be happy for life! So few are for people who truly need help! If this was another Country and you called they would tell you to pinch your nose lean forward and wait till the bleeding stops, not send 3 people 100k worth of metal and a paramedic with their 50k in equipment too. I know guys in other City's in NYS that are required to be EMT's, you think they want it? EMS and FD lifers are two totally different people, which is why in so many places the two mix like oil and water.

Listen up! Fire's are not around anymore like they used to be. So in regards to those city administrators that are out to cut fire depts ect, it's happening even with out ems. Second, the IAFF relased a study that stated Fire Dept EMS is one of the better ways to provide EMS followed by municipal EMS systems. If you are coming into the fire service, be prepared to do EMS. Most fire dept's require you to have some type of EMS training or will require you to become and EMT or a Paramedic prior to your probations end. I considered transfering down south and all the departments I applied to in Virginia required at least an EMT by the end of your probation, some wanted you to become a paramedic. IF YOU WANT A JOB AS A CAREER FIREFIGHTER IN TODAYS WORLD YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO DO EMS, GET OVER IT! If you are looking for a fire dept that is not taking any steps toward Emergency Medical Services look some where else. Also add Fairview Dutchess to that list as depts that require career members to be EMT's after their first year.

Oh and if EMS and Fire mix like oil and water, how come Los Angeles City and County Fire Depts are still in operation and expanding? The same with Phoenix?

Funny how this job has changed so much in just the short time that I have been doing it. Why do we get into the fire service and why do we get in to the EMS business? I and a lot of the prople that I know got into this business for what I believe the right reasons... This job is about people. Taking care of people. If you are truely on the job for the right reasons you would want to have every available tool required to help people when they are in need.

I notice more and more each day that members seem to forget what this job is really about. The people that pay your salary are entitled to the best possible service. This includes providing EMS in a timely manner. You are in a service business. Take care of your customers and do it with a smile.

Add New Rochelle (pronounced nurashell) to the list of cities requiring you to become an EMT before your 1 yr probation is up and it is also required to be promoted to lieutenant.

KE

Correction, thats pronounced New RO chelle!!!!

Edited by LTNRFD

My paid dept. near Boston does not require EMT certification. However, there is a bump in pay if you become one. We are trained by the dept. as first responders. We respond to all EMS calls in the city as first responders. Transport is contracted out to a private company which provides ALS.

Departments that also run ambulances are in cities with union-busting commisioners, chiefs and mayors who are trying to save a buck anyway they can. They create unhappy worplaces and shortchange their citizens on emergency services. Decide if you want to be a FF or a medic and test/apply accordingly. Both can be rewarding careers...good luck.

Left Coast? Or do you mean everywhere but here in the Northeast where nothing ever works despite it working everywhere else? Some of the best run EMS systems in the country are fire based. Why? Because they have open minds, weren't afraid of change years ago. Their management buys into doing what they are asked to do, they run the system well, instead of complaining about it and I could go on and on with the list. I am proud that I do both and our system and department would be even better if we were the ones running the entire show.

If you work in a place that isn't run right that is a system issue not profession issue. I am a FF/Paramedic and I get the best of both worlds and myself and my brothers I work with love what we do.

As far as females and "smaller males" being out of a job, you rise to the occassion that is of what you want to achieve and what is expected of you. Do I like being up most of the night, getting back and having to get up for an ALS job. No but I do it...why? Because its my job. If I didn't want to do it I could be in an office.

There are benefits to having both. I get to break up the monotony by mixing all calls and get in the middle of the feces more often then the non-EMS guys. Its great for those of us who have technical rescue training for obvious reasons and I am a tactical medic.

So no...do what you think is best for you and what you can do for yourself now and for the future.

Fire and EMS are two very different things, they require different people to do the jobs. Granted there are some who love to do both, but not all of us. What needs to happen is not lumping them together, but to keep them separate yet focused. Let the Firefighters be completely involved in fire and the the EMS workers be completely involved in medical situations. That way, everybody is great at what they do, and they can be focused on it. The only thing that needs to be done, is for Fire and EMS to work together well, taking their specific knowledge and combining their skills to effectively manage an emergency scene. I'm not advocating that nobody has any knowledge of the other, both sides should know the bare basics just so they can understand each other at scene. Frequent drilling is all you need between the two to create an effective team and expertly handle a situation. However, this is just my opinion.

Edited by DCurtis

Fire and EMS are two very different things, they require different people to do the jobs. Granted there are some who love to do both, but not all of us. What needs to happen is not lumping them together, but to keep them separate yet focused. Let the Firefighters be completely involved in fire and the the EMS workers be completely involved in medical situations. That way, everybody is great at what they do, and they can be focused on it. The only thing that needs to be done, is for Fire and EMS to work together well, taking their specific knowledge and combining their skills to effectively manage an emergency scene. I'm not advocating that nobody has any knowledge of the other, both sides should know the bare basics just so they can understand each other at scene. Frequent drilling is all you need between the two to create an effective team and expertly handle a situation. However, this is just my opinion.

True, Fire & EMS are two very different things. But you the employee do not get to decide what you want to do. The people that pay your salaries are the one's that decide that. I am sure there will be no shortage of people willing to be employed by an agency that provides both. For those that do not want to do EMS, I suggest they look for another line of work.

In Roofsopen's defense anyone who got onto the job in NYC before '96 signed on to a different job. Its the guys who joined the job after EMS became part of and b**** about it. For the guys on the job before EMS the job has changed and they have to do the job. In my experience the vast majority do just that their job.

As long as the management does it right there is no reason why EMS and Fire cannot be combined. Both sides lose out when people have to choose, but you cannot relax the standards on either side just to accommodate the other.