Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

July 1966 Rye Playland Fire

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any recollection of the July 1966 Fire at Rye Playland that destroyed 3 Rides, Several Concession Stands and the fondly remembered "Magic Carpet Fun House"? Who was dispatched to that job (I would presume Rye, and probably Mamorneck and maybe Port Cheter)? [That Fun House was GREAT ! You could go in there and basically spend the whole day in it. I remember some School Trips to Playland where we all went into the Fun House. I also believe that the Original Bumper Car ride also perished in that fire. Any and all information from those who remembered the event and remembered the FUN HOUSE would be greatly apprecaited.]

I dont remeber it since I was born in the first week of July 1966, but we lived one block away and my parents told me stories about the fire. My mom used to say I came home from the hospital with a bang, and her life would never be the same.

I was born the 3rd week of July 1966

I wasn't thought of yet..............................LOL

I remember seeing pictures on the et posted somewhere but I don't remember where.

REMEMBER IT WELL. My dad woke me up just in time to see ladder 30 in route past my house, we lived on a hill with a good veiw of RYE'S southern end. we could see flames in the area of PLAYLAND . Then engine 60 from HQS followed by eng63 and eng 61 from the SOUTH MAIN ST sta. At least 3 and 1 from PORT CHESTER.

Edited by DOC22

Although I cant remember much about this fire, even though I buffed it at the ripe old age of 2.... my grandfather drove E61 and pumped it. I also believe this was my fathers first job in PC as he got in the company that month. I recall him telling us about how it was so hot out that day and with the motor heat that they cooked eggs on the hood of the old fox.

I dont remeber it since I was born in the first week of July 1966, but we lived one block away and my parents told me stories about the fire. My mom used to say I came home from the hospital with a bang, and her life would never be the same.

You must have lived off of Roosevelt ave. Wasn't this one of several fires at Playland?

Edited by pcfdrfd700

You must have lived off of Roosevelt ave. Wasn't this one of several fires at Playland?

Youre close, Wainwright St.

PLAYLAND FIRES

April 8 1958 Game Room Office

November 12 1963 2 Alarm fire 2010 hrs

April 11 1964 Brush fire and Shed 2 Alarm

June 5 1965 Boat Fire at Docks

JULY 10 1966 6 ALARMS 0230 hrs

May 20 1967 Dodgem Cars 3 Alarms 0044 hrs

July 23 1968 Bathhouse Tower 2007 hrs

February 14 1969 Administration Building 2 Alarm 2355 hrs

July 7 1973 Storage under Dragon Coaster 0223 hrs

April 20 1988 House of Mirrors (Fire in the Wall) 1406 hrs

August 7 1988 Power Shed 1245 hrs

A member from Rye might verify but I believe one of the rigs at one of those earlier fires fell through a section of the boardwalk during operations.

I know that they parked a engine on the broadwalk to draft I have never heard of a truck falling through. I have heard that someone sat on the hard suction hose (in the water) for hours to maintain the draft. I will ask around about a truck falling through. There also used to be some amazing photos(not sure which Playland fire). They were taken down during the remodel and have not reappeared.

luckie - you have forgotten, and perhaps intentionally, (bad memories some might say) the worst of all. the day we lost miss muffet.

Ah yes - Little Miss Muffet sat on her Tuffet and then it bust into Flames.

There are usually a couple of incidents at Playland each year, only a few notables since the 60's.

Group 1

Funny how this topis just came up. On Monday night Turk myself and a few others were loking through the old logs from the 1960's and we looked at one of the Playland Fires and the details. Ironic

If anybody has pictures of any Rye fires during the 60's and 70's let me know. P.M. me. I would gladly pay for copies of them. Thanks

Here are 2 pictures I found on a old hard drive of mine today. I know there are more I will keep looking. I have the photos saved as Playland Fire 7/10/66.

post-2996-1202087894.jpg

post-2996-1202087908.jpg

Wow !

I believe the County Records Dept. has some more info & photos of the Playland fires. I'm going to check.