Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
E1E2TL3

Bennett School - Partial Collapse

23 posts in this topic

I had come across a thread that had a picture of an old girls school in Dutchess county. Does anyone know what thread it was in? I searched and could not find it. Thanks

I think the conversation came up when talking about the Hudson River Psych Fire, since it was an abandoned structure also.

Its called the Bennett School, which is in Millbrook. I am having a hard time finding that thread/post as well!

Enjoy these links in the mean time!!!

http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.asp?fid...&currpage=1

http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/be...ok_new_york.htm

Edited by xfirefighter484x

xfirefighter484x

Thanks for the links. They were better than the picture that I was thinking of on the psych post.

Here are some pics from the Millbrook FD website, some from Arlington's ladder tower.

Bennett Pics....

I heard last week from a person in the know that it will most likely be torn dow this year.

Nice pics. thanks for the link info.

Its a shome to see such a once beautiful building and part of history disappear :angry:

Here's another shot I got of it in August:

http://x635photos.com/displayimage.php?pos=-1023

Abandoned in 1977, this 4 year college is an arcehticural gem, that has fallen victim to the years of neglect. This beautiful building has suffered so much since being abandoned and not maintained, I don't think it can be restored although I hope it can be-but as mentioned above, learned it will be torn down. I'm shocked that no one else wanted this building after Bennet School closed, it would have made a beautful hotel. I guess the late '70's weren't a particularly prosperous time for Dutchess County.

Here are some pics from the Millbrook FD website, some from Arlington's ladder tower.

Bennett Pics....

I heard last week from a person in the know that it will most likely be torn dow this year.

Yes, I heard about it getting torn down too, one of the links I posted for the Urban Explorers forum stated the same info, sad to see it go!!

Here's another shot I got of it in August:

http://x635photos.com/displayimage.php?pos=-1023

Abandoned in 1977, this 4 year college is an arcehticural gem, that has fallen victim to the years of neglect. This beautiful building has suffered so much since being abandoned and not maintained, I don't think it can be restored although I hope it can be-but as mentioned above, learned it will be torn down. I'm shocked that no one else wanted this building after Bennet School closed, it would have made a beautful hotel. I guess the late '70's weren't a particularly prosperous time for Dutchess County.

Agreed!! I love the history of the area, and the architectural gems, as you stated Seth.

Being that it is all opened up like that, it must be occupied by vagrants. And add cold weather to vagrant occupation, usually you get a ripping fire in a building that appears primarily wood frame. Kind of suprised it never was taken by arson...

I have always been facinated by the character and beauty of older architecture as well as some vacant buildings that once served as hospitals, prisons and schools. I have found many good websites that portray photos of really neat vacant and abandoned architectural beauties. One I would like to share is http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/. I spent a good hour on this one when I found it, and being that EMTBravo is made up of a lot of Hudson Valley members, I thought it might be worth a mention.

JVC

Being that it is all opened up like that, it must be occupied by vagrants. And add cold weather to vagrant occupation, usually you get a ripping fire in a building that appears primarily wood frame. Kind of suprised it never was taken by arson...

I have always been facinated by the character and beauty of older architecture as well as some vacant buildings that once served as hospitals, prisons and schools. I have found many good websites that portray photos of really neat vacant and abandoned architectural beauties. One I would like to share is http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/. I spent a good hour on this one when I found it, and being that EMTBravo is made up of a lot of Hudson Valley members, I thought it might be worth a mention.

JVC

The local "kids", fornicater, drinkers, and mostly the curious "ghost chasers" are the problem people...not too many "vagrants" here.....not saying it can't or hasn't happened.

We did have a fire there a few years back when I was a member there...just inside one of the doors on the left side (looking from the road where everyone takes their pics from) is the old theater. It has a large, thick, thickl stage and movie like seating. Some kids were hanging out on stage, drinking, screwing, and smoking weed...decided it would be cool to light the stage on fire.

First in units were able to quickly knock the fire down, as it close proximity to a door, allowed them to go interioir. Luckily it only burned the stage and did not spread - although at first it seemed like there were several smaller spot fires in the builidng...there was not.

The stage was made of such thick wood that we nearly ruined a brand new saw cutting the burned section out.

The local police patrol it on their regular tours and I beleive there are off duty MOS hired to watch it as well.

Here is a pic of the stage area from the above mentioned page!

Bennett2.jpg

Credit to photographer named in pic.

Edited by x129K

JVC

I could not agree more jcoppola!!! The Hudson Valley is chock full of many of these examples, and I am ashamed more has not been done, or been able to be done to preserve some of these masterpieces of architecture, and historical significance, in some cases.

Photograph...Photograph...Photograph!! B)

or should it be :ph34r: ha ha

And so it begins....my wife alerted me that a portion of the old Bennett Gir's College had collapsed recently.

I actually expected this over the winter with the amount of snow load on the roof..but I correctly guessed what dormer would collapse first! LOL

It will be interesting to see what action is taken now that is "officially" an eye sore.

Sorry for the pics, but that is all the zoom my little point and shoot has...I know..BIll Johnson I am not..

post-20585-0-63927300-1308008455.jpg

post-20585-0-38718200-1308008485.jpg

post-20585-0-73495000-1308008495.jpg

post-20585-0-61962900-1308008504.jpg

Edited by Bullseye

Who owns the property now? I see multiple buildings from the satellite image. Wikipedia says the FDIC seized the property a few decades ago.

Who owns the property now? I see multiple buildings from the satellite image. Wikipedia says the FDIC seized the property a few decades ago.

Who does own the property? Is is a new subdivision or something? On Bing and Google Maps, there seems to be a bunch of houses or condos behind it(possibly new?). There's also a tennis court and a pool in front of the building, as well as better landscaping. By the looks of things, it seems like they might eventually convert it into something else, or just tear it down.

That is the great mystery.....has been as long as I have been alive!

I moved to Florida 8 years ago from Millbrook. The school was two miles down the road from my farm. I had an acquantance who was involved with the property in some manner and had always hoped that he could generate some interest and money for its restoration to some kind of useful existance.

While I appreciated his enthusiasm, given its condition then I am surprised it took this long for even a partial structural collapse to occur. Better it be torn down before it's struck by 'lightning' as was the case with the old King's College in Briarcliff. Like Bennett College, it too had originally been a hotel prior to its life as a college and then later abandoned.

Agreed, but I think this building is about 25 years or better too late for any hopes of repair.

Just today there were 3 cars pulled over taking pics on my way to work...it is very sad to see it starting to go...

From : http://geoaccess.co.dutchess.ny.us/parcelaccess/parcelaccess_map.htm

PARCEL IDENTITY

TENTATIVE ROLL 2011

Parcel Number:

135801-6764-01-283780-0000

Parcel Address:

Bennett Cmn

V. Millbrook

Owner Information:

Bennett Acquisitions LLC , (Primary)

Primary (P) Owner Mailing Address

1333A North Ave

New Rochelle NY 108042120

Lot Size | Land Use (Land Use Code):

8.28 Ac | College/univ ( 613)

Assessment Information:

Land = $274900 | Total = $1719100

Market Value:

$1719100

School District:

Millbrook CSD

Agricultural District:

Roll Section:

(Taxable)

Tax Code:

There will probably never be anything useful put there when it does come down for good because noone can agree on what is best for the village. It's funny to see all these people pulling over taking pictures and saying that it is a shame, these are the same people that have been fighting against anything beong done to the sight! I have lived here all of my life and while I agree that it is sad that iti has fallen into such a sorry state I also agree that something should be done to take it down at this point before something really bad happens and someone gets hurt. I have the luxury of getting some onsode iinfo on what it used to be like during it's heyday, my mother-in-law used to be a PE teacher there in the 60's.

x129K likes this