Geppetto

Update on Stamford Merger

2,106 posts in this topic

I missed the article in the local newspapers, but I have been told that Belltown and Glenbrook each received a $20,000 operating budget allotment for 2008-2009. Seems to me that this is a message from the mayor. I think we all realize here that you cannot run a volunteer department on $20,000 per year. Utilities alone on a building the size of Belltown's will cost that much in only a few months. Not to mention the training budget and needed equipment purchases. I guess the saga continues.

JVC

7118 likes this

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local...0,6911259.story

Malloy's plan shifts much of increase to commercial property

March 11, 2008

"Malloy reduced funding to the Belltown and Turn of River Volunteer fire departments, which are merging with Stamford Fire & Rescue and no longer require the city to fund operations.

Malloy requested $20,000 for Belltown and $40,000 for Turn of River to meet their fuel needs.

Malloy presented his proposal last night to elected officials on the Board of Finance and the Board of Representatives who will vote on it in the next two months and can cut his request, but not add to it."

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local...0,7142229.story

Budget unifies pay for city firefighters

By Stephen P. Clark

Staff Writer

March 15, 2008

.....Turn of River has a pending lawsuit against the city to block intervention of management or operational control......

....Glenbrook eventually agreed to the city's plan, but Belltown became a strictly volunteer fire department in January when eight of its last nine paid firefighters joined Stamford Fire & Rescue in January after Belltown's management agreement with the city expired. The ninth one retired.......

Gee, it doesn't appear from reading this that they are merging.

According to the charter, the board of reps or board of finance cannot add to the mayors budget, they can only reccomend cuts. Talk about a bare bones budget. Guess they will need to dip into their warchests.

Edited by pjreilly

Doesn't anyone find it odd that the mediator in this debacle is also the city's attorney? I always thought the mediator was a neutral outside party. ;)

Doesn't anyone find it odd that the mediator in this debacle is also the city's attorney? I always thought the mediator was a neutral outside party. ;)

It should be a outside attorney. The city's corporation council should not be a mediator in these talks. The mediator should be a neutral party not affiliated whit either the city nor and of the other entities. The corporation council is there to represent the city's interest just as a union would retain separate council for their representation.

Looks like they're using (possibly illegal) management tactics similar to a lower Westchester County city, who shall remain unnamed, but whose initials are Mt. Vernon....

I don't think the mediator works for the city. I do believe he has a practice within the city limits. I also believe that both parties would have to agree to whomever mediates. Do you really think TOR would agree to a city attorney?

Is the goal of all of this to snuff out the remaining volunteer stations? It appears to me that the mayor has 1 goal in mind, to get the whole city on one taxing bracket and virtually end the volunteer system. In a way, I find this sad, because Stamford has all but lost that "neighborhood" feel that it had. Take a ride through and it really looks like a major metropolis. I fully know the flaws of the volunteer system in Stamford, as well as the strong points, however, the neighborhood firehouse was always a pillar of the areas north of downtown and it really appears that this is going away. I also realize that it is a sign of the times. I guess I am just old and remember the way it used to be.

Also, thanks to all the Stamford guys for adding information and articles in this thread.

JVC

TOR would never have agreed to a "city" attorney acting as mediator. As Geppetto said above, I think they were just trying to express that the attorney has a practice here in town. One of the interesting quotes from the Mayor is that the money is there "if mediation is successful" but if it things don't pan out how Malloy wants, then its out to the streets with a tin can.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local...0,7450605.story

Stamford Advocate

Belltown firefighters lash out over budget reductions

March 26, 2008

"STAMFORD - Belltown Fire Department officials said Mayor Dannel Malloy's proposed budget allocation of $20,000 for the next fiscal year would not be enough to stay afloat.

"The bottom line - it is not enough money to run the department," Belltown Fire Chief John Didelot said. "As far as the reasoning behind Malloy's actions, I don't know nor do I understand."...."

Mayor putting unfair pressure on fire department

Mayor putting unfair pressure on fire department

Staff Reports

Stamford Advocate

Article Launched:03/30/2008 01:00:00 AM EDT

To the editor:

Mayor Dannel Malloy's bold lie that "there's no attempt to strong-arm" the Turn of River Fire Department is as outrageous as it is transparent - a whopper that is not just a smack in the face to Turn of River, but also an insult to the intelligence of the citizens of Stamford.

The undisputed facts are that Malloy is dangling Turn of River's traditional full budget of $330,000 in Turn of River's face - "if mediation is successful" under Malloy's terms. Otherwise, if Turn of River stands its ground, Malloy has threatened to slash its budget to $40,000 - roughly 12 percent of the minimum budget Turn of River needs to survive.

This is dirty pool, Mr. Mayor.

It would be one thing if the money just wasn't there, but to offer the full budget as a bribe to be more pliant in negotiations is a disgusting tactic. As Turn of River Chief Jacobellis has pointed out, Malloy's new budget is barely enough to cover fuel costs. If you're an investor in a business, and you're reading this, ask yourself: "Could my business survive if I had to cut the budget by 88 percent?"

It all started out when the power-hungry Malloy wanted paid firefighters to answer to "the city" (i.e., Malloy's colleagues) rather than the chiefs at the volunteer firehouses where they are stationed. The fire chiefs have publicly, repeatedly and plainly stated why this would create a conflict of interest that could adversely affect all aspects of firehouse management, from discipline to morale to safety, but Malloy didn't care.

Mr. Mayor: When your plan includes cutting the budget of a fire department by 88 percent - and not just any fire department, but the department that, by far, covers the largest percentage of Stamford - how dare you disguise your dishonesty, selfishness, and blatant irresponsibility behind the identity of "the city," as if we're in this together. If this is how you conduct the city's business, then I am not on your side, sir. I am on the side of those of us who believe that the mayor is not above the law, that contracts should be honored, and most of all, that if my house is burning down, the fire department should have enough money to fuel their fire engine long enough to get to my house and put out the fire.

Alexander Higle

Stamford

"Volunteers rap study of fire operations"

Stamford Advocate 04/06/2008

By Wynne Parry

Staff Writer

STAMFORD - Faced with dramatic growth in population and construction, officials want to assess fire protection provided by Stamford's hybrid system of paid and volunteer firefighters.

But a proposal to hire a company to study fire service has drawn criticism from some volunteers who say it is part of the city's plan to consolidate fire operations and threatens their autonomy.

The contract for the $131,699 study is slated to go to the Board of Representatives tomorrow.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_8827550

"Volunteers rap study of fire operations"

Stamford Advocate 04/06/2008

By Wynne Parry

Staff Writer

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_8827550

To be clear, I am NOT the Joseph Coppola referred to in the article.

And, a comment, Norwalk did a tri-data report about 10 years ago, and to date, NONE of the more significant recommendations were accomplished (i.e. New Headquarters, sixth station in the Carnbury area additional staffed ladder co., fully staffed rescue are among them), although, there are plans in place to fill out the staffing on the rescue co. starting in July of this year. For the record, none of this is our current chief's fault, he is trying to accomplish good things, he is just encountering the routine "red-tape" that goes along with managing a city department.

JC

Tridata has a good reputation in its approach to these studies. How was their actual data collection/conclusion/reporting; (using Norwalk as a case study) as opposed to how the city is responding to it?

Tridata has a good reputation in its approach to these studies. How was their actual data collection/conclusion/reporting; (using Norwalk as a case study) as opposed to how the city is responding to it?

I don't think using us as an example is good, because our issues are much different from the ones in Stamford. We have no issues with volunteers in town, with the exception of the Rowayton section and we have no issues with what they do and how they do it. All through the years there has been minor grumbling about why we don't do more there, but when it comes down to it, our members really could not care less, nor do I, about responses into Rowayton. We are of the collective opinion that, if we are called, we will go and do whatever they need. Currently we are automatic to EMS calls and Schools in Rowayton. Our system seems to be working, not to say Stamford isn't, just different.

When the people were collecting their data, they interviewed all officers one on one, and all firefighters as small groups. They paid attention to reflex times and response times. They looked at all of our equipment, apparatus, and watched how it was routinely checkes. They analyzed our inspection, training and maintenance divisions and made recommendations. They recommended a sixth station for us near the Norwalk/Wilton town line due to a long response time there (in excess of 7 minutes first due). An additional ladder truck was suggested as well as a second rescue out of Station 1. Personally, I think the city administrators got more than what they bargained for...all of the larger suggestions were expensive ones and were never implemented. ALTHOUGH, like I said before, our current chief has been working hard on getting some of the larger suggestions put into budgets, however, he has been met with much opposition from the city. I can't complain too much, we really do have it good...I have friends in services that are in much worse shape.

JVC

Joe, how long did the whole process take from start to the report being completed. Also, what type of questions were asked during the interviews?

Joe, how long did the whole process take from start to the report being completed. Also, what type of questions were asked during the interviews?

They were there a few weeks, and it took about a month to get the report out. I would say about 2 to 3 months from start to finish. They asked questions about training, the quality of it and what types, they asked members what types of calls they were going on, they asked the firefighters what they thought of the leadership of the department, amount of resources dedicated to certain types of calls, stuff like that.

PJ, I am working tomorrow and I will ask some of the guys that were there when tridata did the report what I am leaving out. I will email you with more.

Joe

Joe

Finance board cuts $3.2M from city budget

Stamford Advocate 04/09/08

By Stephen P. Clark

Staff Writer

Finance board members did not touch budget allocations for the volunteer fire departments.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_8859762

And a related article

Fire system study gets go-ahead

By Wynne Parry

Staff Writer

STAMFORD - The Board of Representatives this week approved a $132,000 study to assess the city's fire department and plan for the city's future needs.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com//ci_885899...ordadvocate.com

Finance board cuts $3.2M from city budget

By Stephen P. Clark

Staff Writer

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_8859762

And a related article

Fire system study gets go-ahead

By Wynne Parry

Staff Writer

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com//ci_885899...ordadvocate.com

Please stop quoting my father. I have to hear enough of this day to day in my personal life, I really don't like reading it online too. I'm mostly saying this in jest, however if you were to ever meet two people who are on more of a disconnect with this situation and are related, look no further.

Joe

Thanks Joe . I appreciate it

No problem, we kind of agree to disagree. If we didn't it'd get ugly. This whole situation goes deeper than most realize. I think it must be difficult to have the opinions that my father does and yet have 2 sons who are IAFF members, and one (me) who is a 8 year IAFF local officer. You could just imagine the discussions and conflicts.

Joe

Please stop quoting my father. I have to hear enough of this day to day in my personal life, I really don't like reading it online too.

Joe

Holy Crow, Joe.

Need some cheese to go with that whine?

Holy Crow, Joe.

Need some cheese to go with that whine?

:lol:

Belltown department sues over budget

By Stephen P. Clark

Stamford Advocate

04/16/08

STAMFORD - After losing nearly 90 percent of their funding in Mayor Dannel Malloy's spending plan for next fiscal year, Belltown Fire Department officials are taking the city to court.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_8941177

I have my issues with this whole thing, but one thing that is quite unfair as well as quite immature is the mayor comparing an organization that he funds, in whatever amount, to an orphan who murdered his parents. Way out of line in my opinion. Extremely suprising from a guy who tried to run for Governor.

Joe

Budget slashes hit public safety office

Stamford Advocate 04/17/08

Stephen P. Clark

Staff Writer

Of the $1.3 million cut from municipal spending, $528,000 was carved out of the Office of Public Safety, Health and Welfare. That included $185,000 from the police department, $150,000 from Stamford Fire & Rescue, and $155,000 from Smith House nursing home.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_8954372

Trial is delayed on fire merger lawsuit

By Stephen P. Clark

Staff Writer

Stamford Advocate 04/21/2008

STAMFORD - Turn of River Fire Department's case against the city has been pushed back to May 19 to give both sides more time to work out their differences.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_8997830