Geppetto

Update on Stamford Merger

2,106 posts in this topic

Unfortunately it will probably take someone to die for everyone to wake up and see the big picture. It's 2009, time to get with the program. Peoples lives are at steak. I am not bashing volunteers, but it's time to face facts. They cannot guarantee a full department response with adequate (more then 1 or 2 per machine) manpower 24hrs a day 365 days a year. It's a fact. Nobody's life should be in jeopardy because there are no volunteers for their emergency whenever or whatever it is. I don't think that the volunteers should only be in a support role, but they should be open to paid personnel to respond to EVERY call with AMPLE manpower, the residents deserve it.

FD828, there is a full paid response going pretty much everywhere in the city with the exception of alarms and medicals in Long Ridge. The volunteer departments in question are still operating and can't be expected to do so with a 90% budget cut. Those same departments also cannot be expected to sign a blank contract as was proposed in this situation, no one with any sanity would do that. In regards to the recently released study, if you read the response especially from our department there is little disagreement with what was proposed just severe disagreement with facts that are totally, totally wrong. For instance, stating our department has two engines and a reserve and then drafting a proposal based on that fact when there is no reserve in the first place. The seven pages of corrections were ALL disregarded and the final copy printed without even a phone call to try to get the facts straight. What good is a study when the company conducting it can't even get their facts straight. These guys toured the stations and had ample opportunity to prevent problems like that. The city put out a lot of money for this study and there should be red flags going up.

FD828, there is a full paid response going pretty much everywhere in the city with the exception of alarms and medicals in Long Ridge. The volunteer departments in question are still operating and can't be expected to do so with a 90% budget cut. Those same departments also cannot be expected to sign a blank contract as was proposed in this situation, no one with any sanity would do that. In regards to the recently released study, if you read the response especially from our department there is little disagreement with what was proposed just severe disagreement with facts that are totally, totally wrong. For instance, stating our department has two engines and a reserve and then drafting a proposal based on that fact when there is no reserve in the first place. The seven pages of corrections were ALL disregarded and the final copy printed without even a phone call to try to get the facts straight. What good is a study when the company conducting it can't even get their facts straight. These guys toured the stations and had ample opportunity to prevent problems like that. The city put out a lot of money for this study and there should be red flags going up.

But a house still burned to the ground because of lack of man power, lack of proper leadership and worst of all politics (my understanding is that after that fire SFRD was re-assigned on all structural calls or something to that effect).

Edited by Goose

That occured up in Long Ridge, they were actually not a target of the initial merger proposal. After the fire SFRD was added to assignments up there and they were on the initial alarm for the fire a few weeks ago.

<br />FD828, there is a full paid response going pretty much everywhere in the city with the exception of alarms and medicals in Long Ridge. The volunteer departments in question are still operating and can't be expected to do so with a 90% budget cut. Those same departments also cannot be expected to sign a blank contract as was proposed in this situation, no one with any sanity would do that. In regards to the recently released study, if you read the response especially from our department there is little disagreement with what was <i>proposed</i> just severe disagreement with facts that are totally, totally wrong. For instance, stating our department has two engines and a reserve and then drafting a proposal based on that fact when there is no reserve in the first place. The seven pages of corrections were ALL disregarded and the final copy printed without even a phone call to try to get the facts straight. What good is a study when the company conducting it can't even get their facts straight. These guys toured the stations and had ample opportunity to prevent problems like that. The city put out a lot of money for this study and there should be red flags going up.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

What does a "90% Budget cut" have anything to do with the fact there are not enough volunteers to cover calls at all hours of the day and night? They don't pay the volunteers right? So they could come out for calls regardless of the financial situation, right? All of their machines still have fuel in them right? Their scott bottles still have air in them right? They still have all the medical supplies right? The only thing I can say would be difficult is supplying new gear for NEW members, but they all have tons of members listed on the websites that have been there for years and years, so I'm sure they all have gear already. And if I am not mistaken, these departments could of had paid staff in their firehouses (like they all used to), and had ALL their money for their budgets. Everything boils down to who is in charge or control. Too many egos in the way of progress and saftey. But just like as*****s, everyone has an opinion.

<br /><br /><br />

What does a "90% Budget cut" have anything to do with the fact there are not enough volunteers to cover calls at all hours of the day and night? They don't pay the volunteers right? So they could come out for calls regardless of the financial situation, right? All of their machines still have fuel in them right? Their scott bottles still have air in them right? They still have all the medical supplies right? The only thing I can say would be difficult is supplying new gear for NEW members, but they all have tons of members listed on the websites that have been there for years and years, so I'm sure they all have gear already. And if I am not mistaken, these departments could of had paid staff in their firehouses (like they all used to), and had ALL their money for their budgets. Everything boils down to who is in charge or control. Too many egos in the way of progress and saftey. But just like as*****s, everyone has an opinion.

How about paying for things like the light and heat bill, telephone bill, insurances, apparatus maintenance, and the like?

The machines DO have fuel, but every time one gets on the road that fuel must be replenished. And that costs money.

The Scott bottles DO have air in them, but when used they must be refilled with a compressor that is not cheap to run and maintain.

There are medical supplies, but they are not re-usable. Kind of bad practice, and as a paramedic you ought to know that anyway right?

So, maybe there *IS* something to do with a 90% budget cut.

At Belltown there has been a hard push to gain new members. New members need gear. Existing member's gear needs periodic replacement as well. That costs money.

And your statement, "And if I am not mistaken, these departments could of had paid staff in their firehouses (like they all used to), and had ALL their money for their budgets." is a simplistic mis-statement at best.

So, that's my opinion. How's it smell?

Pat

I was up on high ridge road yesterday and had to see for myself the temp buildings you guys work from. The one on Vine looks like they are putting up a one bay building next to the temp one. Is that a real building or a footing for a butler style, anybody know?

PCFD- Yes, they are pouring footings and a slab for a Butler building at each site. (Under the tarp in the lot is the building themselves, delivered some time ago)

**************- In regard to your last post, and with all do respect to your opinions, I feel some of them are not totally correct. I understand your budget was cut 90% (and I am sure the volunteers in Stamford could successfully argue "strong armed" by the city administration) but you would have to agree that a majority of the funds was for payroll of the municipal employees. The concept the city presented, or at least the one I viewed, put most of the items you described coming from the SFRD budget. Examples of which include fuel for the rigs, consumable medical supplies, maintenance on the city owned rigs( however, an HME not a privately purchased one) , and PPE for your members( I would assume it would not be black though since we purchase from the state bid). Originally the idea was for a city truck or engine company to be housed in your station which would mean city funding for the building utilities like what occurs in Springdale and Glenbrook.

I will say that Belltown has down an excellent job of getting rigs out the door and I hope that you can continue to be successful. However, I am still confused at the negative attitude towards SFRD and L786 members while operating at incidents. We did not create or ask for the situation and a majority of us just want the situation to be fixed.

PCFD- Yes, they are pouring footings and a slab for a Butler building at each site. (Under the tarp in the lot is the building themselves, delivered some time ago)

**************- In regard to your last post, and with all do respect to your opinions, I feel some of them are not totally correct. I understand your budget was cut 90% (and I am sure the volunteers in Stamford could successfully argue "strong armed" by the city administration) but you would have to agree that a majority of the funds was for payroll of the municipal employees. The concept the city presented, or at least the one I viewed, put most of the items you described coming from the SFRD budget. Examples of which include fuel for the rigs, consumable medical supplies, maintenance on the city owned rigs( however, an HME not a privately purchased one) , and PPE for your members( I would assume it would not be black though since we purchase from the state bid). Originally the idea was for a city truck or engine company to be housed in your station which would mean city funding for the building utilities like what occurs in Springdale and Glenbrook.

I will say that Belltown has down an excellent job of getting rigs out the door and I hope that you can continue to be successful. However, I am still confused at the negative attitude towards SFRD and L786 members while operating at incidents. We did not create or ask for the situation and a majority of us just want the situation to be fixed.

348-

Thanks for an excellent post.

I want to address several things you have mentioned.

Starting with your last point first: I am confused that you mention a negative attitude towards SFRD and L786 members while operating at incidents? I have *NEVER* witnessed this at any incident I have been to since Belltown went all volunteer. Many of us are not strangers to each other, and I personally always have made a point of greeting those SFRD members I know, and being cordial to those I do not. It surprises me to hear this perception.

Remember, we did not create or ask for this situation either.

Secondly, you make a statement which is incorrect:

"I understand your budget was cut 90% (and I am sure the volunteers in Stamford could successfully argue "strong armed" by the city administration) but you would have to agree that a majority of the funds was for payroll of the municipal employees."

I don't agree at all, and here is why:

It is the OPERATING BUDGET that was cut 90%. Historically the city has funded Glenbrook, Springdale, Belltown, and Turn of River at a level of approximately $160,000 per station per year for operating expenses. NO funding of municipal employees was included in this amount. This year, Belltown was allocated $20,000. And I believe I am correct when I say as I understand it that figure has been reduced to $18,000 when the mayor announced an across ther board cut in funding for all departments of 10%

I never got to view the concept the city presented, but as I understand it the "concept" was not totally fleshed out into a detailed plan. Parties involved were being asked to become party to an agreement with too many of the details left to be worked out at a later date.

Nobody in their right mind does business like that.

Thank you for your kind words about Belltown. We have a dedicated membership who only want to do what they said they would do, which is protect the lives and property of the residents of our district. And, we are acutely aware that we should be ready to respond to calls for assistance outside our district, and we are happy to be able to do so.

Maybe the next time you are operating at a scene with us, please offer a handshake, introduce yourself.

Pat

<br /><br /><br />

What does a "90% Budget cut" have anything to do with the fact there are not enough volunteers to cover calls at all hours of the day and night? They don't pay the volunteers right? So they could come out for calls regardless of the financial situation, right? All of their machines still have fuel in them right? Their scott bottles still have air in them right? They still have all the medical supplies right? The only thing I can say would be difficult is supplying new gear for NEW members, but they all have tons of members listed on the websites that have been there for years and years, so I'm sure they all have gear already.

So I guess our guys with gear thats starting to fall apart will just continue to use that and get themselves hurt. I guess once the money runs out the rigs will just stop running and collect dust, and when we go to a code but don't have any defib pads because we can't afford them we will sit back and watch the person die. Come on anyone with any experience knows that running a public safety organization costs money whether or not the labor is free its just common sense. And finally I don't understand why everyone keeps going back to what members are listed on department websites. There are veterans, active members and associates on there and many of those people contribute to their departments in non-firefighting ways, others have moved on to career departments and can no longer volunteer but deserve to have their time recognized and having their name online is one of those ways. In our department that list is not an official accounting of who goes on calls and was never meant to be.

As do we, but I really don't agree about our members giving SFRD members a negative attitude on scenes. I've worked a few calls where we kept mutual aid coming in for an extra hand or arrived after the SFRD unit and there really hasnt been any trouble. You'll usually hear us saying thanks. The problems begin when apparatus continue to respond when they are cancelled, fail to recognize our command structure, or get cancelled and then suddenly re initiate response based on the seriousness of a call assuming that just because we are volunteers we can't handle a serious incident(at least thats what I think), in that case a cardiac arrest. But over the past few months there have been improvements in many areas anyways which is a good thing. Theres been some bumps along the road but for the most part I'd say the relationship is really not that bad, we all know the job that needs to be done.

Edit: Also thanks for the recognition of the job we have done, its appreciated.

Edited by BFD196

My post was not to "stir the pot", but a reflection of what I have experienced while operating in Belltown's district. I do not know all of the members of BFD and don't want to lump everyone together, but on at least three occasions I have been ignored as a first arriving company officer while on scene by a later arriving BFD officer.

As for Alan's comment about gear and equipment- please come visit the "firehouse" some of us work in and the condition of our equipment. Unfortunately, with no fault of the firefighters, the city has no money and all services are suffering.

Tug

Grp 1, Sta 9

Alan? I'm not Alan, lol. I obviously don't know which incidents you responded to where you felt ignored, but I imagine it was prior to July of last year if your assigned to Engine Nine now and it is possible as feeelngs were much stronger at the time, if it was more recent then I can't offer much of an explanation. As for equipment yes, I realize the cutbacks hit you guys too, and your situation at nine is unique to say the least. The whole city is in a serious budget crisis and most of the fault really rests with the tenth floor, out off all our hands.

-Nick

All I was saying was that you have members NOW, you have fuel NOW, you have medical equipment NOW(and yes I am not a idiot, you will have to throw out the bloody 4x4's), the lights are still on, there is still air in the bottles NOW...... so tell me why it's ok that not every single call is answered 24/7 with fully staffed machines? When the money is all gone and there is no supplies and fuel, I will back your argument. Until the supplies and money runs out, the budget cuts should have no effect on the members responding, NOW. Good thing I have had a head cold... I can't smell right now.

Edited by FD828

All I was saying was that you have members NOW, you have fuel NOW, you have medical equipment NOW(and yes I am not a idiot, you will have to throw out the bloody 4x4's), the lights are still on, there is still air in the bottles NOW...... so tell me why it's ok that not every single call is answered 24/7 with fully staffed machines? When the money is all gone and there is no supplies and fuel, I will back your argument. Until the supplies and money runs out, the budget cuts should have no effect on the members responding, NOW. Good thing I have had a head cold... I can't smell right now.

FD828:

I think the first thing you need to realize is that there are 5 volunteer fire departments in Stamford. Each one has a unique and different set of circumstances. Each one has a unique and different record in how they have handled responses in their district.

So, when you start discussing the volunteer fire service in Stamford, you need to remember this and bear it in mind when making comments.

Do you have an interest in this issue? Do you work or live in Stamford?

NOW. As far as the budget cuts go, do you understand the concept that it is 2 of the 5 volunteer departments that have had the funding of their OPERATIONS budget cut by 90% ??

And is it any coincidence that the 2 departments that recieved these cuts are the ones that would not agree to the half-baked plan presented by the administration?

So, if you do indeed have a "horse in this race", so to speak, I look forward to hearing your perception of what is happening in this situation. And, if you do not have direct involvement, I can only assume you are making arguments based on hearsay, conjecture, and what you read in the papers.

Hope you get over your head cold soon, they can be pesky.

Pat

Judge wants city, fire volunteers, to settle suit

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

02/16/2009

STAMFORD -- In the trial to decide the future of fire protection in the Turn of River district, a state Superior Court judge Friday suggested the city and volunteer firefighters settle out of court before the trial resumes March 19.

Citing a recent study, Judge Kevin Tierney said plaintiffs and defendants generally benefit by settling lawsuits rather than going to trial. With Turn of River operating on 12 percent of its former budget and the city facing its own budget crunch, both sides could come to a resolution, the judge said....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11715198

City to build garages for fire engines Structures planned for TOR district

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

02/16/2009

STAMFORD -- With officials from Turn of River volunteer fire department saying they are nearly out of money and can close within weeks, the city has begun building one of two steel garages to house city fire engines in the district.

The city is installing the garages using $131,000 of the $288,000 withheld from Turn of River's budget last summer in a dispute over control of the fire district....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11712911

Busy news day.

The information superhighway is getting as crowded as I-95.

FD828:

I think the first thing you need to realize is that there are 5 volunteer fire departments in Stamford. Each one has a unique and different set of circumstances. Each one has a unique and different record in how they have handled responses in their district.

So, when you start discussing the volunteer fire service in Stamford, you need to remember this and bear it in mind when making comments.

Do you have an interest in this issue? Do you work or live in Stamford?

NOW. As far as the budget cuts go, do you understand the concept that it is 2 of the 5 volunteer departments that have had the funding of their OPERATIONS budget cut by 90% ??

And is it any coincidence that the 2 departments that recieved these cuts are the ones that would not agree to the half-baked plan presented by the administration?

So, if you do indeed have a "horse in this race", so to speak, I look forward to hearing your perception of what is happening in this situation. And, if you do not have direct involvement, I can only assume you are making arguments based on hearsay, conjecture, and what you read in the papers.

Hope you get over your head cold soon, they can be pesky.

Pat

I do indeed work in Stamford as well as have a lot of friends that live in town, both downtown but mostly up in northern Stamford. I come from the volunteer world. I know how dedicated and caring volunteers are. I also know that like all other departments, change doesn't come easy. If the opportunity presented itself for a paid crew in my town I would be all for it. (presently all volunteer) I am sure that is not the feelings of everyone in that department, but what is most important? Changing and evolving or leaving things the way they have been for the last however many years? Life safety is the utmost importance. Both John Q public and the firefighters themselves.

Now as for the depts in Stamford. Here is the bottom line as I see it. They all had career staff. They could of had more paid guys in their firehouses then they previously did to respond immediately to all calls with a fully staffed machine. And they would of had their operating budget. The chief would of still been in charge of all calls. The volunteers could still respond to the calls. So they couldn't pick and choose which paid guys worked there, and they would be wearing the SFRD uniform. Oh and they would have to stop doing all the extra stuff that the paid guys did in the past. But back to the most important thing... the residents would be getting an immediate response for ALL calls 24/7 no ifs ands or buts. Firefighters wouldn't be reponding alone or with just one other guy/girl. Yes E-8 and E-9 are up there to respond, and yes the volunteers are getting out for most of the calls. But #1 Most isn't good enough when it comes to lives and #2 perhaps there didn't have to be all the drama involved. The time and money wasted on lawsuits and newspaper articles. Maybe if everyone agreed that maybe this isn't the best situation for everyone(except the public) but it's a start that could of been adjusted or tweeked as it progressed a lot of this could of been avoided. You can't say it doesn't work, it seems to be working well in Glenbrook.

So being a non-resident coming from a volunteer dept, I can't see what the down side was for these departments. Everything could of basically been the same as it was except for the department the career guys worked for.

Perhaps we should respectfully agree to disagree

Edited by FD828

I do indeed work in Stamford as well as have a lot of friends that live in town, both downtown but mostly up in northern Stamford. I come from the volunteer world. I know how dedicated and caring volunteers are. I also know that like all other departments, change doesn't come easy. If the opportunity presented itself for a paid crew in my town I would be all for it. (presently all volunteer) I am sure that is not the feelings of everyone in that department, but what is most important? Changing and evolving or leaving things the way they have been for the last however many years? Life safety is the utmost importance. Both John Q public and the firefighters themselves.

Now as for the depts in Stamford. Here is the bottom line as I see it. They all had career staff. They could of had more paid guys in their firehouses then they previously did to respond immediately to all calls with a fully staffed machine. And they would of had their operating budget. The chief would of still been in charge of all calls. The volunteers could still respond to the calls. So they couldn't pick and choose which paid guys worked there, and they would be wearing the SFRD uniform. Oh and they would have to stop doing all the extra stuff that the paid guys did in the past. But back to the most important thing... the residents would be getting an immediate response for ALL calls 24/7 no ifs ands or buts. Firefighters wouldn't be reponding alone or with just one other guy/girl. Yes E-8 and E-9 are up there to respond, and yes the volunteers are getting out for most of the calls. But #1 Most isn't good enough when it comes to lives and #2 perhaps there didn't have to be all the drama involved. The time and money wasted on lawsuits and newspaper articles. Maybe if everyone agreed that maybe this isn't the best situation for everyone(except the public) but it's a start that could of been adjusted or tweeked as it progressed a lot of this could of been avoided. You can't say it doesn't work, it seems to be working well in Glenbrook.

So being a non-resident coming from a volunteer dept, I can't see what the down side was for these departments. Everything could of basically been the same as it was except for the department the career guys worked for.

Perhaps we should respectfully agree to disagree

FD,

You are of course entitled to your opinions, but there are some aspects in which you may not be fully grasping the gravity of the situation. For now I'll look at the issue of control. One can look at it like this, would having employees working for you at your business, but answering to another boss be practical to you? Remember for better or worse each volunteer department is an independent entity and as such, just like any other business, are the ultimate authority of that entity. Would you accept me working at say 3 company but answering to my Chief or chain of command? Would you allow me the run of the place immune to your department's rules and regulations? Do you believe your administration or some of your colleagues would readily accept such a change without any fore warning or negotiation? Just because we do not get paid or have an organization to bargain for us, does not mean our authority (as it currently stands) is irrelevant or can be dismissed. Doing so does not engender trust, in fact it has the directly opposite effect. To my knowledge this "plan" was thought up and presented by the City administration unilaterally on a take it or leave it basis. And let us be frank here, this is an administration with a dismal record vis a vis it's interaction with Stamford's volunteer fire departments. They have done nothing to either encourage or reward the service, no matter how great or small, of these departments or their members. It is niether folly or malice on our part to think that our existence would ultimately be threatened by entering into any arrangement without negotiated concrete safeguards in place to protect that existence. This did not happen. Take it or leave it is not negotiation. With holding necessary funds is not negotiation. On the contrary these actions clearly show yet again, this administration's utter contempt for us, and our service. On the other hand it is folly to think that anyone should enter into an open ended agreement with parties who have repeatedly shown an unwillingness to negotiate, on the hope that any issues can be adjusted fairly down the road.

Now we are all seemingly rational people, and as such we can all probably agree that a resolution to this situation must come about. For that to happen it must be understood that first and foremost we all are driven by the same motivation, to protect and serve the resident's of this city. As difficult as that may be for some to believe, let me assure all that this is my overriding concern, and I believe that of my colleagues as well. I feel equally sure that for most on your "side" this is also of prime importance. So there we are, agreement already. For my part I fully realize that changes will be necessary to some aspects of the volunteer system to ensure that the level of service that will undoubtedly be needed as time goes by is provided. I also realize that what those changes will be will require the input and assistance of our career colleagues. For your part I would hope that you can see that we volunteers have served a vital role in Stamford's overall fire protection, and can continue to do so. In fact we may have to in light of our nations's current economic situation which, although not as pronounced here yet, is sure to grow more serious in the near future. Open, frank and respectful negotiation based on the understanding that we all want the same thing and have, through our resources, the means to provide it can ultimately offer our citizens (and us) what they rightfully deserve. Fire protection second to none.

So yes we can agree to disagree, but we must also agree to overcome those disagreements and accept that both "sides" have legitimate points of view and want the same thing. Respect me and I will respect you.

Stay Safe

Cogs

The opinions expressed here are my own and are not meant to be reflective as those of my department.

Cogs,

I do hope that you can see through all the ramblings, I did not mean belittle any of the volunteers or question their level of dedication. I don't agree with what all the choices were, but it's not my dept/town. I have stated that coming from a volunteer dept I know what drives these people. I know there are things on both sides of this issue that rub people the wrong way. I respect every single person who is willing take time away from their family/loved ones, train, and risk their lives for others.... paid or volunteer.

But what is done is done. I would like to see every citizen of Stamford get the same fire coverage no matter where they live.

One question. When will all of you get tired of debating this endless rambling of madness? Do you need to hear the definition of insanity again? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

One question. When will all of you get tired of debating this endless rambling of madness? Do you need to hear the definition of insanity again? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Joe,

There are those whose lives are determined by their circumstances

and there are those who determine the circumstances of their lives.

Sane or not I choose the latter.

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

Probably at the same time people stop debating use of blue lights, how many people get chief cars, when they get a new one, what to do about Volunteer EMS calls going to mutual aid all the time, when to replace the volunteer EMS with paid service, what another department should have done different at a fire, and the list goes on. This thread is no different then most others, it is a significant issue and people are going to talk about it. I wouldn't really call the most recent posts ramblings, and that is not said just to defend my own. There have been many good posts from people on both sides of the issue, if you guys decide you can always lock the thread.

I respect every single person who is willing take time away from their family/loved ones, train, and risk their lives for others.... paid or volunteer.

As do I

But what is done is done. I would like to see every citizen of Stamford get the same fire coverage no matter where they live.

And I would like to continue to be a part of providing it

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

Probably at the same time people stop debating use of blue lights, how many people get chief cars, when they get a new one, what to do about Volunteer EMS calls going to mutual aid all the time, when to replace the volunteer EMS with paid service, what another department should have done different at a fire, and the list goes on. This thread is no different then most others, it is a significant issue and people are going to talk about it. I wouldn't really call the most recent posts ramblings, and that is not said just to defend my own. There have been many good posts from people on both sides of the issue, if you guys decide you can always lock the thread.

I would not be the one to lock the thread. Thats not the point. The point is that all this has become is a rant about 786 vs. the volunteers, thats a reality like it or not. I think we have determined that the best interest of the public and their safety is paramount in the issue. Carry on...

OLDGUY19 likes this

Interesting. I thought that 9 of the 17 "employees" voted to become members of SFRD??? How were they taken away???

Also, since they have vacated the house on Roxbury road, why not sell that too??

Seems like the ship has sunk, they are on the lifeboat and they are bailing out water with a bucket with no bottom. also, there is no rescue coming. Taking a hard line with the Mayor that controls your finances was not a good idea after all, huh guys??

Also, how is the fill the boot going. Are you telling people they are giving money to an organization that has already been receiving their tax payer dollars for years already???

Springdale fire co. tells city to pay bills or it will stop fighting fires

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

03/15/2009

STAMFORD -- The Springdale Fire Co., a volunteer department, claims it may stop fighting fires if the city doesn't pay its heating costs and vehicle repair bills.

Springdale Chief Shawn Fahan said he believes the city breached its management agreement with the firehouse because it has not paid the department's $28,000 deficit and a $6,000 overdue repair bill for an aging fire engine. Fahan has cut deliveries of heating oil for the firehouse and diesel fuel for its fire apparatus, he said. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11914511

So they got 10k less than requested, but are 37k over budget? hmmm...