Geppetto

Update on Stamford Merger

2,106 posts in this topic

Ive been impressed with this thread. Obviously these discussions come with a lot if emotion and passion but it has stayed remarkably on track.

Professionalism takes many forms and one of them is the ability to engage in open discourse with those who hold differing views without taking it personally. Professionals realize that difference exist and that even when not in agreement with those diferent views they afford them their due respect while maintaining the commitment to their own. I think this has been shown by the majority of contributors here by a wide margin in the face of some huge differnces. That is a testament to the commitment we all share to our craft, career and volunteer alike.

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
sfrd18 and ny10570 like this

Maybe the results from the last Stamford test will come out soon..... <_<

sfrd18 likes this

Well it's been awhile since this thread had any input so I thought I'd take a look at where we are now by asking the following question:

What is everyone who's involved here opinions on our new Director of Public Safety, Health and Welfare?

I had the honor of meeting the man last week and must say that I was impressed with his knowledge, experience and desire to see a successful resolution to this situation. Hopefully we can all get behind any initiatives he proposes to finally move forward. How about you?

Cogs

Rumour has it that Springdale has finally signed onto the Mayor's plan - Can anyone confirm?

As long as we are talking rumors, the talk is that Springdale signed onto the Mayors plan on the very same day the Shaun Fahan got a job as a city electrician.

Rumour has it that Springdale has finally signed onto the Mayor's plan - Can anyone confirm?

As long as we are talking rumors, the talk is that Springdale signed onto the Mayors plan on the very same day the Shaun Fahan got a job as a city electrician.

I agree Mr. Jankowski is the right man for the job..kudos to Mayor Pavia for hiring him.

Cogs

Well it's been awhile since this thread had any input so I thought I'd take a look at where we are now by asking the following question:

What is everyone who's involved here opinions on our new Director of Public Safety, Health and Welfare?

I had the honor of meeting the man last week and must say that I was impressed with his knowledge, experience and desire to see a successful resolution to this situation. Hopefully we can all get behind any initiatives he proposes to finally move forward. How about you?

Cogs

While impressed with his resume I've not had the chance to meet the man and I certainly understand he has more important tasks at hand then meeting everyone in all the organizations he oversees. It would be nice to see a proposal we all could get behind but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by CTFF

While impressed with his resume I've not had the chance to meet the man and I certainly understand he has more important tasks at hand then meeting everyone in all the organizations he oversees. It would be nice to see a proposal we all could get behind but I won't hold my breath.

It would indeed, especially since some of us have been taking on a blue tinge for quite awhile now...I suppose a little longer won't hurt.

Cogs

First I'd like to congratulate the guys from SFRD who are currently having their heads shaved at St. Baldrick's tonight, they raised over $15K for tonight event.

Second the Mayor released his budget for fiscal year 2012-13 tonight. The SVFD is funded ( for 58 positions) and slated to begin operating in the 4th quarter of FY2012-13.

It will be interesting to say the least as the budget process moves forward.

The budget can be viewed here:

http://www.cityofstamford.org/filest...13_Revised.pdf

Also for those of you who took the last test:

It looks as if the city is beginning to consider "matter of reimbursement for applicants of the fire service exam (held approximately two years ago)."

this can be viewed on page 6 of the following PDF:

http://www.boardofreps.org/tsa/2012/120312.pdf

They mayor has also stated in his budget released tonight "I do not feel it prudent at this time to recommend hiring any additional SFR personnel. Therefore this budget proposal does not include

funding for line positions that are currently vacant."

Edited by CTFF

Do the candidates that took that test all those years ago have an legal recourse?

Do the candidates that took that test all those years ago have an legal recourse?

I can only say at this point they should be talking to a lawyers who specializes in civil service law. There are rules the city must follow in civil service testing and they are not in this case.

If any of you test takers have a questions shoot me a pm.

post-16171-0-35547600-1332707157.jpg

The plan will pass in 2 to 3 months

The Charter will be changed in November to allow for one Chief to oversee all fire services and.....

within 2 years we will see the confederated "Fire Dept of the City of Stamford".

Edited by FFPCogs
sfrd18 likes this

City officials mull certifying 2-year-old firefighting exam

Civil service exam: Firefighter hopefuls could be reimbursed for fees

Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

Monday, March 26, 2012

...Assuming the plan is approved we would have to do a test of our own," Whitbread said. "It's a different entity from Stamford Fire & Rescue. The requirements might be different. We might have to take people who are already trained....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/City-officials-mull-certifying-2-year-old-3432531.php

I took the last test and think that this two year wait has been crazy. Now it appears that the merged departments want to re-do the test so they can pick and choose who they want to hire?

rayrider likes this

Here's a Ragvocate article spotlighting the latest occupant of the hotseat at the center of this convoluted conundrum ...our current Public Safety Director Ted Jankowski. Support him or not I think all will agree he's far more eminently qualfied than anyone else whose ever held the position. In the few short conversations I've been priviledged to engage in with him he's more than earned my respect as well as that of some pretty well respected and well known FFs in their own right.

Best of luck Ted. We stand ready to serve.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/policereports/article/Jankowski-brings-N-Y-experience-to-public-safety-3436024.php

Cogs

Mayor Pavia: Adopt fire plan without further delay

Stamford Advocate - Letter To The editor

Friday, March 23, 2012

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/article/Mayor-Pavia-Adopt-fire-plan-without-further-delay-3430654.php

Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus.

And a response to the mayor.

http://www.thedailystamford.com/opinion/letter-stamford-fire-union-attacks-mayors-plan

It may very well be that the Public Safety Director will have the opportunity to bring forth yet another alternative which combines elements of the two thus far presented along with some input based on his own experience.

Edited by FFPCogs

Stamford Professional Fire Fighters Association (IAFF Local 786)

To Hold Meeting For Firefighter Candidates

Almost two years ago more than 670 aspiring firefighters took a civil service exam in hopes of joining the Stamford Fire & Rescue Department. After spending countless weeks and months studying for the written exam, and taking a demanding physical ability test, and a nearly two-year wait to be certified as firefighter candidates, they may all be left out in the cold. The city administration may throw out the test because of Mayor Pavia’s proposed taxpayer funded privately owned and operated fire department to serve North Stamford, rewarding his friends and political allies with a job.

On Saturday, April 14 the Stamford Professional Fire Fighters Association (IAFF Local 786), which represents the firefighters of the Stamford Fire & Rescue Department, will hold an informational meeting for candidates who took the test and may likely see their hard work go for naught. The meeting will be held at the Piedmont Club at 152 Hecker Avenue in Darien beginning at 2 pm. All candidates are encouraged to attend.

There will be an information session to explain to the firefighter candidates what their options are if the civil service list is not certified by the city.

junior215 likes this

Just want all to know that the Charter Revision sub commitee on Public Safety is IMO doing a very thorough job in attempting to sort out the situation. I have attended almost every meeting save Tuesday's due to our annual meeting at the FD. The Commitee does not seem to have a bias and has delved into this with no apparent agenda other than modifying the Charter to allow for a resolution. The meetings that I've attended have been forthright, open and detailed with all aspects being carefully examined and all "sides" being given ample opportunity to offer suggestion based on experience and insight. But be advised, Mr. Sandak runs a tight ship and is quick to stifle any political grandstanding, agenda pushing or animosity directed one way or another that may derail the commitee's forward momentum. If I were a betting man, (well actually I am... :P ) I would say it's a sure thing that change is coming and that that change is likely to have as many detractors as it will supporters within our fire service. Be that as it may, if there is any group that offers an opportunity to solve this at this point, I would have to say the Revision Commitee is it.

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
sfrd18 likes this

FFPCogs: In the Life in Afghanistan thread you are in Afghanistan right now, but here you have been around attending every Charter Sub meeting except for Tuesday's due to your annual meeting at the FD. Where are you right now?

Saw your update, and hope you are getting better and feeling better. Nice to know you keep up with what is going on no matter what part of the world you happen to be located in at the time. Your perspective and view on things is colored by your experiences, and you seem to bring a lot to the table. We do appreciate you sharing them with us.

Edited by sueg

FFPCogs: In the Life in Afghanistan thread you are in Afghanistan right now, but here you have been around attending every Charter Sub meeting except for Tuesday's due to your annual meeting at the FD. Where are you really, and what should we believe?????

See Life in Afghan thread