Geppetto

Update on Stamford Merger

2,106 posts in this topic

Willy again I'm not arguing your assertion that career personnel receive more, and it could be argued better, training. What I am saying is that there are minimums which can be set to ensure the level of competency of everyone on the fireground. Will some be "better" or train more than others, of course, but the minimum standard in terms of recruit training material/ hours and training hours spent by all members on various topics and evolutions could be the same across the board. What happens over and above these minimums would be gravy. Now sure career guys might knock out in a day what takes volunteers two weeks, which would allow them to devote time and energy to other training pursuits, but in the end the minimum competency standard met (and verified and recorded) by all would be the same. As I also said all the training in the world is only worthwhile if it translates into actions on the fireground...and as I'm sure you'll agree not every FF is a stellar FF when it counts, be they paid or volunteer.

The whole concept in Stamford from the perspective of some of us on an operational level was to rebuild the volunteers into a capable, competent force, fully integrated into a unified combination chain of command. One that was able to perform on the fireground effectively whether paid personnel showed up or not. After all that IS the mission of the fire department, any fire department, is it not? Unfortunately, over the years a deep seated complacency set in and severely degraded that ability. It was from this point that we had to start.  After studying a number of different options we developed what we believed was the best way to reverse this decay while remaining firmly rooted in the realities of Stamford in 2010 and beyond, not the good ole days of yesteryear. None of us thought for a second that the "solution" lay anywhere other than with the VFDs themselves and as such we worked to rebuild these departments from the only place that mattered...from within. What became evident early on was that the "leadership" had no interest in creating a better service, or even one that was viable, if it presented even the slightest threat to their status quo. What they failed to understand then and still don't now is that the status quo as they knew it was over the minute those Charter votes were counted. 

Now there was much more to this than just rebuilding the operational capabilities of the VFDs including regaining the trust of the public and building bridges to the politicians on which we all depend. But these were subsidiary concerns to the main goal of building a force of knowledgeable and capable volunteer firemen that actually responds to and deal with calls. Everything is related so rebuilding that force of well trained and effective volunteers was key in dealing with every other issue facing these departments. Here again a little expansion of viewpoints would have enlightened the leaderships that every other concern be it political or otherwise would have been much easier to face had they been able to point to a viable and effective volunteer system when dealing with them. If there's any lesson to be learned here, and maybe it applies to your current battle up in Norwich, it's that VFDs much step up, must work together, must face facts and must change when necessary to become an effective service before they can expect or demand any kind of support.

NFD2004, I would use the first letter that was written clearly against Local 786 as an example of the true feelings of most volunteer Chiefs.

It was only after they received a significant backlash from City officials and members of their own organizations that they chose to write the "updated" version.

Much like we see in political races...they only walk-back their remarks after they realize their inappropriate comments did not get the traction that they anticipated.

Edited by x152

12 hours ago, x152 said:

NFD2004, I would use the first letter that was written clearly against Local 786 as an example of the true feelings of most volunteer Chiefs.

It was only after they received a significant backlash from City officials and members of their own organizations that they chose to write the "updated" version.

Much like we see in political races...they only walk-back their remarks after they realize their inappropriate comments did not get the traction that they anticipated.

"X152", that is exactly as I expected it. No wonder "FFPCogs" decided to give up on these guys.

Just so you know, I've been doing a monthly newsletter for many of the active and retired guys here (Norwich). The next newsletter coming out contains that first letter. Along with it I wrote; "We are NOT Alone".

The only people to blame for the failing of the Stamford system is those Five Volunteer Chiefs. The same thing here. In fact the Norwich Fire Chief came out with an EXCELLENT eight page report that he did on improving the entire fire service for Norwich. A lot of facts and details in a way that would give everyone better service. I'm sure he spent a lot of time working on it. But once those chiefs read it, in the trash it went. Never to be seen again.

Let me also add that the Norwich Career Fire Chief was chosen from a Nationwide search to find someone who could get the place on the right track. He came from the Providence, R.I. area and had a very good reputation there. But we have Five Volunteer Chiefs, all of who were elected by their own friends, who have little concern for peoples lives and property based on their own past practices, allowed to get away with it, and calling the shots.

Of course many NFD members are watching to see just how things turn out for Big Brother Stamford.

As usual, this entire latest episode could have been completely avoided, but some can't help themselves. I have a good idea who pushed this issue and scripted the letter for the Chiefs. This is someone who has a long and ugly history of creating tension within his own Department and with career Firefighters.

Unfortunately, the Department where he serves as an Assistant Chief is in an abysmal state of affairs and has only a handful of members left.

Most civilized organizations would have sent this imbecile to the curb a long time ago. 

9 hours ago, nfd2004 said:

"X152", that is exactly as I expected it. No wonder "FFPCogs" decided to give up on these guys.

Just so you know, I've been doing a monthly newsletter for many of the active and retired guys here (Norwich). The next newsletter coming out contains that first letter. Along with it I wrote; "We are NOT Alone".

The only people to blame for the failing of the Stamford system is those Five Volunteer Chiefs. The same thing here. In fact the Norwich Fire Chief came out with an EXCELLENT eight page report that he did on improving the entire fire service for Norwich. A lot of facts and details in a way that would give everyone better service. I'm sure he spent a lot of time working on it. But once those chiefs read it, in the trash it went. Never to be seen again.

Let me also add that the Norwich Career Fire Chief was chosen from a Nationwide search to find someone who could get the place on the right track. He came from the Providence, R.I. area and had a very good reputation there. But we have Five Volunteer Chiefs, all of who were elected by their own friends, who have little concern for peoples lives and property based on their own past practices, allowed to get away with it, and calling the shots.

Of course many NFD members are watching to see just how things turn out for Big Brother Stamford.

Just a couple of things Willy. I only gave up because, of all the positions I was offered at the time, the one out here in New Mexico provided me with 2 motivators: 1) A good salary to support my family, and 2) the most growth potential. As I found out a couple of weeks into this job, my current employers became quite familiar with my posting here after an internet search as part of my background investigation. While not privy to all the intricacies involved, they did like what they saw and how I presented my points of view. I guess to some degree EMTBravo helped me land this job..so for that let me say here and now THANK YOU! I guess also that one should always be careful what they put on the internet, it is an open book for those who are looking.

Had this opportunity not come up, I would still be back in Stamford working my ass off and fighting the good fight to bring about meaningful changes to "the system". I love my department, where I remain an Associate member. It is where I started and still, to this day no matter where I go, it is my home. While I am extremely frustrated by the nonsense that ensues there and to be frank, quite angered by the difficulties thrown in our path, I did not desert Stamford due to those factors...in fact like many FFs I thrive in crisis and strife so that was all in a days work. I left to do what was best for my family and for an opportunity that I would not have had otherwise. Not that any of this is important or means anything to anybody, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

In closing I just want to address your last point:  "Of course many NFD members are watching to see just how things turn out for Big Brother Stamford".

I'm pretty certain at this point that those NFD members will see an all career department in Stamford before too long... I really can't see how it can go any other way.

Pete, just prior to coming on here tonight, I was talking to a high ranking retired member of the NFD. He had just finished reading the latest here and he too, said how you made some very good points. We talked about the two recent letters posted here that were written by those five volunteer chiefs.

My guess is that what will happen to Stamford, will eventually happen in Norwich too. And if the day comes that there is no volunteer fire departments in either city, they CAN'T blame you and they can't blame me for it. These self serving Fire Commanders did it all to themselves if they put themselves out of business.  For those who truly had a desire to help the people of those cities, they too can blame those leaders for what has happened.

FFPCogs likes this