Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Silver Lake Brush Fire-Workshop (4/24/08)

37 posts in this topic

Date:4-24-08

Time:1545hrs

Frequency: Fire trunk 19'

Units Operating: Multiple agencies

Description Of Incident: Large area of brush

Writer: Iceemt21

Large area of brush burning in an area diffcult to get to. Members trying to get in by foot. Boat is in process of getting into water

West harrison Fd

White Plains Fd

Purchase Fd

Harrison Fd with boat

West. DES gators

County car 2

Batt. 15

As of 1636hrs dont believe they got water on fire yet

1638hrs Batt 15 requesting Field Comm to scene. County car 2 requesting WCPD chopper for video

1640hrs Batt 15 requesting Town of mam'k with the boat to scene

Sounds like they are having fun getting to this on the air.

As for aviation for "VIDEO", why not just utilize them to put out the fire using their BAMBI BUCKET. To call them in for a video feed seems useless when compared to the fact that they are capable of handling at least a part of the firefighting duties without having to be stranded in the burning woods that are apparently only accessible by boat at this time...Just MY opinion!

Edited by Oswegowind

Sounds like they are having fun getting to this on the air.

As for aviation for "VIDEO", why not just utilize them to put out the fire using their BAMBI BUCKET. To call them in for a video feed seems useless when compared to the fact that they are capable of handling at least a part of the firefighting duties without having to be stranded in the burning woods that are apparently only accessible by boat at this time...Just MY opinion!

isn't this scene still going on??

give 60 control a call and tell them to send Air 2 over there! ...Show 'em how it's done! lol

Port Chester just got dispatched...

did anybody hear what company was dispatched from pcfd

did anybody hear what company was dispatched from pcfd

Just heard a general "60 Control to Port Chester"...didn't pay any more attention to it...sorry!

PCFD was requested to scene with manpower and tools. ENG 63 and U65 were responding and now redirected to stand by in WHFD quaters

Sounds like they're having trouble locating where the fire is...or finding ways to get to it to attack it...is this a large fire or just a tough one to get to?

They had a tough time getting to the fire. was driving around looking for best access by ground, but then went in by boat. At first chief said had about an acre burning. WP Chief just reported 6-10 acres.

And now Armonk is responding with another boat.

6-10 is way greater than 1 when it comes to acres!

So have they began extinguishing this fire now that it seems like they've established ways to get to it? Has the fire been contained or is it still burning?

Sounds like they're having trouble locating where the fire is...or finding ways to get to it to attack it...is this a large fire or just a tough one to get to?

Not exceptionally large, probably just several acres but totally inaccessible. They actually used boats to ferry firefighters across the lake to where it was and used ATV's and gators to drive around the perimeter of the lake to reach it. There was no way to hump a hoseline in from any roads. I would say that it is completely contained but not 100% extinguished.

Aviation dropped 54 bucket loads of water (totally 9080 gallons) to help contain it. Air ops concluded due to darkness, will resume in the morning if necessary.

Sounds like White Plains, Mamaroneck, and the County DES ATV's are being released. Whats the status of this fire. Has it been knocked down, have they released all mutual aid but will be working through the night?

Everyone picked up for the night, will have to return tomorrow to finish extinguishment.

Hey Chris, 32 @ 160 and 22 @ 180 right? I busted out the calculator on the computer in FC 1 to figure out how many gallons it was.

Very cool to watch from the FC 1 and Air 2 cameras!

Everyone picked up for the night, will have to return tomorrow to finish extinguishment.

Hey Chris, 32 @ 160 and 22 @ 180 right? I busted out the calculator on the computer in FC 1 to figure out how many gallons it was.

Very cool to watch from the FC 1 and Air 2 cameras!

Correct.

To all:

If anyone has pictures and/or video of the operations yesterday, the Aviation Unit (and me) would very much like copies of them. Please PM me if you have them and we'll make arrangements to transfer them.

THANKS!

Correct.

To all:

If anyone has pictures and/or video of the operations yesterday, the Aviation Unit (and me) would very much like copies of them. Please PM me if you have them and we'll make arrangements to transfer them.

THANKS!

News 12 had footage of aerial drops and boats, along with an interview with Johnny Jackson. Might be worth reaching out to them.

News 12 had footage of aerial drops and boats, along with an interview with Johnny Jackson. Might be worth reaching out to them.

We got the News12 coverage! There were a whole lot of other cameras clicking and whirring though so I'm hoping that we can get some non-commercial footage.

Thanks!

Very interesting fire yesterday. I was on the first due engine as well as on the first team to enter the woods and it was a difficult fire to get to. We ended up setting up a command post on Buckout Road. We walked about 400 to 500 yards in. The problem was that the fire was spread over a large area and to get to it we were up and down little gullies and hills. We entered in with Purchase and Units from White Plains. Due to the large amount of fire that had already burned, some trees were beginning to come down and in some spots the amount of fire burning was too much for the indian tanks. To all those that were there, thanks for the help, much appreciated. As of last night around 930 there were some random spots that were still burning but as of this morning, they had burned out. Guys in the Air 1. Well done, was at one point about 30 yards from a drop. Really cool to see that work. Thanks again. Would be greatful to get any photos that may have been taken.

Hey Chris, 32 @ 160 and 22 @ 180 right?

Why the two different volume numbers?

Why the two different volume numbers?

The bucket has a maximum capacity of 180 gallons. It can be cinched down, much like tightening your belt :lol: to reduce the capacity. This is done to keep the weight down. Once we burned off some fuel, we were able to release the cinch to the maximum capacity.

Yet another large fire goin in the park. Started around 1700hrs(4/25). going back in with boat and feet

Ya'll need to look at the units like Southeastern, Mass or northern jersey run to brush fires, armored brush truck that can bust a path through the trees to reach the fire, and carry enough water and foam to knock it down and control it

Ya'll need to look at the units like Southeastern, Mass or northern jersey run to brush fires, armored brush truck that can bust a path through the trees to reach the fire, and carry enough water and foam to knock it down and control it

Nice idea but with the rocks and terrain it wouldn't have been able to get in there. This was a nasty spot!

Nice idea but with the rocks and terrain it wouldn't have been able to get in there. This was a nasty spot!

Say hello to your solution : Forest Fire Tracked Unit

or a dozer would work. :P

Mike

If only that would work. I know that area of the woods amazingly well, as I've been biking and hiking in there since middle school. The inclines would be impassible by any vehicle, plus there are large rock outcrops throughout the forrest. Also, in multiple places along the paths that are cut, there are huge stone steps that are nearly impossible to take on a mountain bike (as I once went head first over my handlebars going down them...) so I could only imagine trying on a larger vehicle.

If the terain is that rough rather than jepordize the safety of responders attemptig to get in to a desolate area, go in as far as you safely can, and let it come to you, wth the assist from aviation units, why risk the FFs?

Anything in particular learned the first day that helped the second?