Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geppetto

Rye firefighters union calls for increased staff

74 posts in this topic

Rye firefighters union calls for increased staff

By Theresa Juva • The Journal News • June 25, 2008©

RYE - The city's professional firefighters are accusing officials of failing to address short staffing in the department, according to a letter sent by their union to the City Council and city manager on Monday.

Story:

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...349/1018/NEWS02

Edited by jack10562
Source Site Copyright Notice- EMTBravo Posting Policy

Good to see somebody fighting for manpower etc!!!

Good for them! It's nice to know that there are some Unions that are still around fighting for more manpower. Keep up the fight Rye FFs.. Maybe it'll rub off on Local 107!

What's the daily staffing in Rye? How many Engines and Trucks do they have and how many FF's are on each rig?

What's the daily staffing in Rye? How many Engines and Trucks do they have and how many FF's are on each rig?

24-hour shifts, 4 groups, 4 career FF's per group (Minimum staffing is 3 on at any given time)

Career-staffed rigs: E191, E192, L25

The 17th Career person mentioned in the article is the Lieutenant, who is also the City Fire Inspector.

One of the problems that also wasn't mentioned (problem as I see it) is that with the minimum of the 3 man crew, it leaves only 1 man at station two, which could be an unsafe situation. If there were to be an accident, there is the possibility that it could go unnoticed until the shift change the next morning (worst case scenario with no alarms that day, people at the station, or communication between station 1 and two). This could be solved by the addition of more people.

Edited by ryefd192

Do they get a good vollie turn out when the alarm sounds?

Generally depends on the time of day/ day of the week/ type of alarm. The turnout recently has slightly improved, but its still nowhere near where it would need to be to justify not hiring more guys.

Good luck to them. One man rigs should be a way of the past at this point. Unfortunately, it seems like the city management isn't going to be so receptive to the proposed changes.

I wasnt going to chime in on this but what the heck. First of all, some of these now paid ff's are the same ones that bashed the staff when they were volunteers. They are their own worst enemy. I will agree that they need more staffing, but bashing and complaining will only get them so far. In my opinion, you need to ask for a glass of milk at a time not the whole cow. I am sorry to say that it will probably take a loss of life will change things. I cant comment on the big wigs in City Hall, I wish I could.

Sounds like Fairview in Poughkeepsie. Four guys 24/7 staffing two engines, a truck and two ambulances. Good luck brothers, hopefully you can get the much needed manpower increase.

First of all, some of these now paid ff's are the same ones that bashed the staff when they were volunteers.

This is usually par for the course in all Depts. All of a sudden guys forget where they came from and look at their former peers as Scabs. It's called Brainwashing. It usually occurs right after they put the IAFF sticker on their windshield!

I will agree that they need more staffing, but bashing and complaining will only get them so far. In my opinion, you need to ask for a glass of milk at a time not the whole cow. I am sorry to say that it will probably take a loss of life will change things. I cant comment on the big wigs in City Hall, I wish I could.

How do you propose they go about increasing their staffing? If writing a letter is considered bitching and complaining, do you have some other alternative? It's not like they're picketing on city hall's steps, they only wrote a letter.

Asking for one glass of milk at a time (I'm assuming you meant hiring one guy at a time, correct me if I'm wrong), won't fix staffing issues. You'll need at least four new hires to fill a full time position.

I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just asking you to clarify some points.

This is usually par for the course in all Depts. All of a sudden guys forget where they came from and look at their former peers as Scabs. It's called Brainwashing. It usually occurs right after they put the IAFF sticker on their windshield!

That's still not as bad as die-hard union guys that retire, take the sticker off, and then go back to promoting anti-union attitudes. Yes, I've seen this happen. Yes, he's a scumbag.

I wasnt going to chime in on this but what the heck. First of all, some of these now paid ff's are the same ones that bashed the staff when they were volunteers. They are their own worst enemy. I will agree that they need more staffing, but bitching and complaining will only get them so far. In my opinion, you need to ask for a glass of milk at a time not the whole cow. I am sorry to say that it will probably take a loss of life will change things. I cant comment on the big wigs in City Hall, I wish I could.

I wasn't going to "chime in" either, but if you are going to accuse the Career FF's in Rye, all of who I have worked side-by-side with for several years and many of who I have known since I was a kid, of "bashing and complaining", then I need to correct you and set the record straight for other readers of this thread...

I think in light of the inherent issues of safety and lives on the line they have been very proper and cool-headed about their approach to the City. As a Volunteer Officer I have never once found any one of the Professional Firefighters to any less than that - professional - on the fireground. Sure there may be an occasional personality issue or argument back at the firehouse during downtime, but this happens in every firehouse, and in any workplace at all for that matter.

I'm sure I'll get some slack for my views because, yes, I am on the list. But truly my views have nothing to do with my potential career, they have to do with having many friends and family in Rye and wanting them to receive proper protection, and also my wanting the Career FF's to feel safe in their everyday duties... That is the very least you can ask of any job.

Why not put all four on one engine on each shift. And have the volunteer's cover the rest of the equipment. Then at least your running safe.

First of all, some of these now paid ff's are the same ones that bashed the staff when they were volunteers.

I've seen that also FirNaTine...but I have to say that 99% of the time it had nothing to do with "brainwashing" but more of the nuturing of the other side forgetting where the career person came from. I know of departments that as a volunteer you could hold every position right up to Chief, but as soon as you get hired by written policy you are below a person who's ink isn't even dry on the application they put in.

As far as asking for a glass of milk versus the cow, often it is because of mis-management and/or lack of understanding or insight into the issue that leads to the cow needing to be brought in from the pasteur. With the right management and planning you can get to the whole cow and it will be by the gallon not by the glassfull and those who reap the benefits of the milk will be a whole lot more healthy, including the ones who are supposed to be taking care of the cow.

Why not put all four on one engine on each shift. And have the volunteer's cover the rest of the equipment. Then at least your running safe.

If only that would be an applicable situation. Besides the fact that the volunteer turnout is too low now, and therefore trying to get an engine and a ladder staffed would be a hard task. We simply do not have the drivers. It is department policy that all drivers must have EVOC and have adequate in department training on the apparatus they plan to drive. With that being the case we only have a handful of drivers; from there it could take a long time to get enough people trained on the correct apparatus (if we had a higher turnout) to be able to always take out the other two pieces of front-line.

That's still not as bad as die-hard union guys that retire, take the sticker off, and then go back to promoting anti-union attitudes. Yes, I've seen this happen. Yes, he's a scumbag.

I hear ya on that one! Like I've said before, I've never seen so many HYPOCRITES in one Profession such as the Fire Service. It truly amazes me.

Steve as you know, I was in that department many moons ago. If the bell rang, the ff called upstairs to let everyone know of an alarm. I was told this practice no longer happens. ( If I am wrong, let me know) Wouldnt you think that a lone ff would want the extra response? I know it was difrerent back then. Thats why I agree that they need help. The city will not hire 4 ffs at a time. It just wont happen. They need a better planned attack, not just at contract time.

They don't call upstairs anymore, because the hot line can be heard upstairs, and we don't dispatch ourselves anymore, so we all get the page at the same time. So it kind of eliminated the need for the call upstairs. (but thats not really on topic)

How do the career Rye guys feel about Regionalization?

I'm just curious, what's the tax base in Rye like? Last I knew, it was a pretty wealthy community.

I wish all Rye firefighters the best. Knowing many of them, both career and volunteer, I know all they really care about, when it comes down to it, is the superior service that they provide to their citizens. Rye is a fire department that's rich in heritage and pride, not only money, and I personally think that the career guys need to have a full crew on the apparatus each and every time they turn on that siren.

Both the career guys and the volunteer guys want each other to go home safely at the end of their shift or the end of the call, because that's what matters the most at the end of the day regardless of how each percieves one another.

I can't see anyone (in the fire service) fighting increased staffing, because who does it hurt really?

3. Vote to approve the settlement with the IAFF.

Mayor Otis made a motion, seconded by Councilman Chu and unanimously carried, to

approve the settlement with the IAFF for a contract commencing 1/1/05 through 12/31/09, as

approved by the Board of Fire Wardens and the Fire Chiefs.

THIS IS FROM THE CITY COUNCIL MEETING Dec 3rd 2004

City Manager Paul Shew said. He noted that the staffing complaint comes five months before paid firefighters will face contract negotiations.

They still have Seventeen month on there contract not five, Get it right

They still have Seventeen month on there contract not five, Get it right

Yes, that may be correct, however, even though the current contract expires at the end of 2009, formal NEGOTIATIONS for a NEW contract will commence in five months. It is common practice to raise sensitive issues well in advance of official negotiations.

Hey Ed - Maybe you should come back to Rye and help us out.

You have not been a member of H & L yet and your Harry Howard time should be valuable!

Thanks for ALL of your support!

Do you want me to write Paul a letter too?

You can't comment about the big wigs but you want to write a letter to the City manager?

Can't make up your mind I see.

And you are SO knowledgeable about the Rye Fire Department when you are NOT currenty a member!

Call upstairs - you have your finger on the pulse!

Rye is just another City where the Fire Service is treated like the red headed step child! Oh well.

The unfortunate truth behind not putting them all on a single engine is probably that they'd have to give up exclusivity when it comes to operating the rigs. It's a business decision, not a safety issue. It's sad, but you can't blame it on the union. In many combo departments, the moment exclusivity is given up, some idiot politician or anti-career volunteer will advocate cutting staffing levels to save money. Remember, we take pride in our job and love helping the community, but this is how we put food on the table and we can't jeopardize that. We all want to be safe, but we shouldn't have to risk our jobs to make a point. Not to mention that you'd still have the same amount of men showing up to an alarm as before the consolidation, not exactly what I'd call an increase in safety.