Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Ramapo give new Orthodox Jewish cop the Sabbath days off pending review

17 posts in this topic

Journal News

By Steve Lieberman

Copyright ©2007 The Journal News • July 6, 2008

RAMAPO - A newly hired town police officer has been given Friday nights to Saturday evenings off to accommodate her religious beliefs.

The special work schedule afforded Officer Baile J. Glauber has raised concerns among other officers, said Officer Dennis Procter, the department's Police Benevolent Association president.

It appears she waited until she graduated the academy to bring this up. What's good for the goose......looks like she'll be the only one working on Easter, Christmas etc when all the Christian officers grieve to get off their religious holidays. This may open a can of worms everywhere!

It appears she waited until she graduated the academy to bring this up. What's good for the goose......looks like she'll be the only one working on Easter, Christmas etc when all the Christian officers grieve to get off their religious holidays. This may open a can of worms everywhere!

It gets better. She has a criminal background ( Shoplifting in Town of Clarkstown) and even though the Investigators did NOT recommend her-the town board decided to appoint her anyway!

She is THE ONLY person on patrol at RPD that has Steady RDO's AND steady tours ( she works 4x12's)

I find it screwed up that if the PBA is indeed the bargaining unit for the Members that this "officer" was allowed to pretty much make up her own contract

Well the city/town is an EOE. I would think that written in a contract they would outline certain guidelines for religious absentees. And why does it make a difference if she was arrested for shoplifting?

Well the city/town is an EOE. I would think that written in a contract they would outline certain guidelines for religious absentees. And why does it make a difference if she was arrested for shoplifting?

This link brings you to a 2005 Court Case where a candidate required special scheduling and was denied, in the end, filing a lawsuit against the NYSP. The candidate lost, as the NYSP argued (successfully) that granting special schedules for one person unfairly inconvenienced other Troopers who would then have to alter their own schedules to cover his.

http://www.aele.org/law/2005FPOCT/sides-nysp.html

This link brings you to a 2005 Court Case where a candidate required special scheduling and was denied, in the end, filing a lawsuit against the NYSP. The candidate lost, as the NYSP argued (successfully) that granting special schedules for one person unfairly inconvenienced other Troopers who would then have to alter their own schedules to cover his.

http://www.aele.org/law/2005FPOCT/sides-nysp.html

That was an interesting article. Its good to see they are fair to all employees.

This situation is absurd.

As Donald Trump would say: You're fired...

It's not a matter of being an equal opportunity employer... the simple fact is that she knew she was getting into a line of work that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days, a week, 365 days a year... regardless of holidays, bad weather, or any other circumstances. If she knew that she could not work in a position that works 24/7/365... she should have found another job. How many times have Police Officers on that job had to miss their kids first christmas or birthday or miss their first anniversary with their spouse because they had to work?? But no one complains because they know that stuff happens in that line of work... and now some rookie cop comes along requested a special schedule?? Gimme a break... if I was a senior patrolman on that job I would be FURIOUS if after 15 years on patrol, I was still working around the clock with rotating days off while some rookie gets a preferential schedule. I'd become the biggest sack of _____ that job ever saw... no more summonses, no more arrests, my sick days would go through the roof, etc. Why does it matter is she got arrested for shoplifting??? Forget about the fact that she has a criminal record and is now hired in a position to uphold NYS law, there were probably better candidates for her position that didn't have a criminal record, who ended up getting passed over for a perfect example of someone being hired for purely political reasons. That whole story made me sick... another example of how society bends over backwards for everyone except for the Average Joe... do you think if each Catholic Police Officer went to the Town and requested Sundays off to go to Church, or Christmas off to observe their religious holiday, that the Town would approve it? Of course not, but this girl will not only get her steady 4x12's, with her steady days off, she'll also have off every single Jewish holiday each year, no questions asked.

And why does it make a difference if she was arrested for shoplifting?

Why don't we let Sexual Predators become EMT's while we are at it?

Shoplifting equals sexual predation?!?!

Because officers of law should be honest citizens who follow the law and are expected to follow the laws that they enforce?

The sad fact is that many agencies will hire a police officer candidate who has a minor criminal record. Focusing on this diminishes the real issue - that a rookie police officer was able to dictate her schedule and her department accepted it.

You can also become an EMT with many types of criminal convictions but how that is relevant to this thread escapes me.

Let's not get too far off topic!!!

:rolleyes:

Because officers of law should be honest citizens who follow the law and are expected to follow the laws that they enforce?

Using that anaolgy, that would disqualify the current sitting President of the United States who was arrested and convicted at least twice of crimes. Once for drunken driving and the second time for disorderly conduct. And he is sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States, which in essence is the highest laws in the land.

QUOTE(OnTheWheel @ Jul 6 2008, 12:22 PM)

I agree this could open a big can of worms with scheduling for the other officers. She should mutual that particular shift with another officer like the rest of us have to do when we cannot get a certain day off.

Think about the academy though... It probably wasn't an issue as she was on steady Monday-Friday day tours for the length of the academy so it didn't come up until after she graduated.

Think about the academy though... It probably wasn't an issue as she was on steady Monday-Friday day tours for the length of the academy so it didn't come up until after she graduated.

True, but you would think any intelligent person going through the academy would understand that upon graduation and appointment to your department, shift work is inevitable.

My point is she sat at the interview and hiring process and said NOTHING about this "special need", she waited until she was on the road and they had no choice. Sure, if she mentioned it and they didnt hire her it would be bad. This should be an interesting landmark case. Although the Ramapo chief should refer to the NYSP case above which clearly makes a judgment on behalf of the employer.

Edited by OnTheWheel