Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcoppola

IAFF Supports Obama

90 posts in this topic

That is very true.. he has been FIRMLY against it for almost 3 weeks now. For about 10 years before that, he actually supported many aspects of it. I guess that counts as strongly against as long as you are one of those people who don't let facts get in the way. If you want a list of the over 70 position changes he has had since going from "maverick" to "courting the right wing" you can visit http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/flipflops?t=3 . Of course you won't, but it doesn't make it not true.

SOURCES: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/20...n-reverses.html

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/John_McC...ivil_Rights.htm

"It doesn't take a great deal of effort to get shot down" - McCain

Please stop reading those far left liberal propoganda websites son, it'll distort your thinking. Just remember, some gave all(McCain) and some gave none(Obama). Many also said Ronald Reagan, the actor, was an old, senile man. It's interesting how he is now regarded as one of the best Presidents this Country ever had, even by many ignorant, bleeding heart liberals. P.S. Has Obama yet given any solutions to the problems plaguing our nation? He only seems to make reference to them.

Please stop reading those far left liberal propoganda websites son, it'll distort your thinking. Just remember, some gave all(McCain) and some gave none(Obama). Many also said Ronald Reagan, the actor, was an old, senile man. It's interesting how he is now regarded as one of the best Presidents this Country ever had, even by many ignorant, bleeding heart liberals. P.S. Has Obama yet given any solutions to the problems plaguing our nation? He only seems to make reference to them.

Well so bro, well said.

Fact is, blogs and all that left wing propaganda bull doesn't hold an ounce of water in real debate.

Change change change change change change change change change change. Are you enamored yet? How about we use a little more brain power, what a novel idea!

This is true, but it takes a HUGE amount of effort to survive being a POW and torture...especially when your offered the opportunity to go home but don't because others who were there before you should go first. I don't care what anyone says or how long ago it was, this single act speaks volumes about a man's integrity and dedication to his country and above all else to his comrades. How many of us have the balls to do the same? I'd like to believe I could, but I can't honestly say I would. And one more thing about this...like FFs who don't consider themselves heroes, I've NEVER heard him make mention of this affair to promote himself, no matter how many others have.

He also has been known to readily admit his mistakes (i.e. Martin Luther King day, among others he has made) a true rarity for a politician. I trust in the decisions he will make as President.

NY

I respect your opinion and you are indeed correct about the experience of our last two Presidents. But at least GWB had a father who was a President to seek advise from...whether you agree with that advise or not is another matter. For me I'll take the values over the charisma anyday. Bill wasn't all that great in the White House...Whitewater, NAFTA, inaction in Bosnia, inaction in Rwanda, inaction in Sudan, inaction regarding Osama, and of course Monica Lewinski...Good Ole Bill's judgement left alot to be desired. Oh and in regards to our wonderful economy during his tenure..many economists have stated that it was the result of the effects of Reagonomics not Bill Clinton and the Dems.

We all have to vote based on what we feel is best....and we all should support whoever sits in that office once it has been decided.

Cogs

Check this out.

That was good...but man some people have too much time on their hands

No American flag on lapel!

No hand over heart during National Anthem, Pledge Of Allegiance, or God Bless America!

Took the American Flag off of his Campaign jet! Whats next if he gets elected, changing the flag all together!

And three final words-

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA!

Need I say more!

That was good...but man some people have too much time on their hands

way to much time... but it was funny

As far as I know no union ever polls there members, the same as newspapers when that pick there candidate they do not poll there readers to pick whom they are picking. The IAFF picks who they think there members will benefit from. It has nothing to do how American they feel the person is. It does not matter if the person was in the Military, just because you where in the Armed Services does not mean you are a good or even a decent leader. I think the bigger issue is that some people are using Obama’s inexperience as an excuse not to vote for him, when the real reason is the color of his skin.

I will speak for myself when I say skin color has no bearing on my decision not to vote for Obama. Had Colin Powell or Condi Rice had run I would of considered them based on thier foreign policy experience and thier ability to lead. Allthough I am not thrilled with McCain's stance on immigration and I am not sure on his econimic stance I feel he is the stronger candidate.

You are correct that unions do not poll thier members. In the 22 years in my union we were never asked who we wanted.

It's funny (OK maybe sad) that the IAFF always backs the Democrats. The Union is widely known to be made up of more Republican's or right leaning members than any other Union. But Dem's favor labor and Republicans are anti-labor. Yet, here we are still making it work after Reagan, Bush, Sr. and Jr. Bush (just those I was around for). Sure, we could be doing better, but they've not destroyed labor unions, and the thought is that McCain will?

As has been alluded to, how will we survive when taxes keep going up? Obama will be taking more money from taxpayers than ever before? Taxes go up = municipal jobs go down. It's that easy. Look at the cuts to FD's across the country, there due to taxpayers being overtaxed and cuts being made to balance budgets. It pisses me off to no end that illegal aliens have healthcare yet we pay for our own!

Sadly, this race is now heading toward making the VP choice a large part of the pie and the Republicans are narrowing their choices to Right to Lifer's. Great! We'll lose the election in spite of "the Separation of Church and State".

Oh yeah, Anyone remember Chris Dodd? You know the IAFF's first choice for Prez?

Edited by antiquefirelt

It's funny (OK maybe sad) that the IAFF always backs the Democrats. The Union is widely known to be made up of more Republican's or right leaning members than any other Union. But Dem's favor labor and Republicans are anti-labor. Yet, here we are still making it work after Reagan, Bush, Sr. and Jr. Bush (just those I was around for). Sure, we could be doing better, but they've not destroyed labor unions, and the thought is that McCain will?

As has been alluded to, how will we survive when taxes keep going up? Obama will be taking more money from taxpayers than ever before? Taxes go up = municipal jobs go down. It's that easy. Look at the cuts to FD's across the country, there due to taxpayers being overtaxed and cuts being made to balance budgets. It pisses me off to no end that illegal aliens have healthcare yet we pay for our own!

Sadly, this race is now heading toward making the VP choice a large part of the pie and the Republicans are narrowing their choices to Right to Lifer's. Great! We'll lose the election in spite of "the Separation of Church and State".

Oh yeah, Anyone remember Chris Dodd? You know the IAFF's first choice for Prez?

You took the words right out of my mouth! Bottom line- IAFF is big labor, and Democrats support big labor and collective bargaining. They have supported every democrat as long as I have been a member. Democrats however, believe in expanded government, i.e. government handouts. It is hard to swallow that our public safety staffing and budgets, as well as pay/benefits will hang in the balance while our government is perfectly willing to take care of people who refuse to take care of themselves. McCain has my vote, because his platform aligns best with my personal beliefs.

I agree it's a sad thing that the IAFF PAC fund does not go with the will of the membership. That is why I will never contribute to it. I would like to know how much old Harrold spends or our dues on trips that are actually political in nature, I bet that some of that money comes from the general dues and not only from PAC money. They never ask a canidate for a change on his/her views they just support them on the current stand.

That is very true.. he has been FIRMLY against it for almost 3 weeks now. For about 10 years before that, he actually supported many aspects of it. I guess that counts as strongly against as long as you are one of those people who don't let facts get in the way. If you want a list of the over 70 position changes he has had since going from "maverick" to "courting the right wing" you can visit http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/flipflops?t=3 . Of course you won't, but it doesn't make it not true.

SOURCES: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/20...n-reverses.html

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/John_McC...ivil_Rights.htm

Guess what moron they have the same partisan BS type of sites for Obama too. How F**king stupid do you have to be to put a site like that up and use it as the backbone of your argument. I bet you are the type of idiot who believes in the 9/11 conspiracies too!! Listen It was Col Mustard in Den with the knife...

Oh and in case you didn't realize I'm voting for McCain...to hell with the union. I'm more concerned with having an America than a union.

We (Republicans) will lose this election because:

1) the enconomy is in the crapper

(although downturns and recessions are normal part of the economic cycle occurring on average every 8-12 years)

2) we are embroiled in two wars which seemingly have no end. The public is being duped into believing that Obama will end these operations quickly. John McCain calls for continued involvement based on his experience and his HONESTY, not popularity. I will add this as well; having worked in Iraq as a civilian FF supporting the military I support continued involvement until we WIN. I'm no longer working there so it's not about personal gain..it's about America fulfilling it's commitments.

(We will remain in theses wars by the way regardless of who's elected despite promises to the contrary from Obama and Co. It is not feasible nor is it practical/safe to remove troops engaged in combat or police actions in a short period of time. Also there are BILLIONS of dollars in Gov't contracts which would be threatened by an early withdrawl. Billions of dollars, some of which find their way into the coffers of those very same officials (Dems and Reps) who speak publically of getting out...like their really going to give that up....yeah right.

3) Obama is young and charismatic...very TV friendly. John McCain is seen as "old" and verging on "doddering" (ala Bob Dole).

4) As with most things today it's style over substance.

Edited by FFPCogs

No hand over heart during National Anthem, Pledge Of Allegiance, or God Bless America!

He does put his hand over his heart during the national anthem: http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/patriot

Took the American Flag off of his Campaign jet! Whats next if he gets elected, changing the flag all together!

The American flag is displayed on Obama's plane in the same manor as McCain's: http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/plane

You have figured it out! Obama is a Muslim terrorist, sent to influtrate the white house and turn over the country to the terrorists!

I can respect someone disagreeing with Obama's policies, but its ridiculous to spread these rumors that he isn't patriotic or is some sort of fanatical terrorist.

Edited by OoO

He does put his hand over his heart during the national anthem: http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/patriot

The American flag is displayed on Obama's plane in the same manor as McCain's: http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/plane

You have figured it out! Obama is a Muslim terrorist, sent to influtrate the white house and turn over the country to the terrorists!

I can respect someone disagreeing with Obama's policies, but its ridiculous to spread these rumors that he isn't patriotic or is some sort of fanatical terrorist.

When did he start wearing the pin or taking the pledge? AFTER his advisors told him to.

What I'm more worried about is who are going to announce they are moving to Canada after the election. Wanna take bets?

Also rule number 1, never talk about religion of politics, rule number 2, follow rule number 1.

Democrats favor labor. Republicans favor Corporations. (Haliburton comes to mind). No matter what else, It's your vote to be used as you wish. Just vote! Often!

When did he start wearing the pin or taking the pledge? AFTER his advisors told him to.

PJ I love you to death man but do ma a favor and google pictures of your boy McCain. At a rally for war vets that he was speaking at...yep you guessed it no flag on his lapel.....there are numerous pictures of him with NO flag on his lapel

PJ I love you to death man but do ma a favor and google pictures of your boy McCain. At a rally for war vets that he was speaking at...yep you guessed it no flag on his lapel.....there are numerous pictures of him with NO flag on his lapel

This is just a general statement not directed at you RED or anyone, but since when did wearing or not wearing a pin on your jacket ever have anything to do with how you care about or fight for this country?

post-7831-1219717681.jpg Even Jay "BIG CHIN" Leno has a flag on his lapel!!!!!

Double D double G I hear you, but if you want to question McCains patriotism or service to his country, HIS RECORD STANDS, and is impecable. Not sure about the IAFF's candidate. Oh wait he has none

Double D double G I hear you, but if you want to question McCains patriotism or service to his country, HIS RECORD STANDS, and is impecable. Not sure about the IAFF's candidate. Oh wait he has none

See that's my point exactly I never questioned his patriotism all I was saying is if it's OK for a war vet like McCain to "sometimes" wear the lapel pin and get away without being called anti-american then why not the other guy. On the service to the country part..hey it's not Obamas fault that he is not old enough top have been in the civil war like McCain....SMILE...just kidding but damn he is old as hell ain't he???!!!!

Age is relative..to millions of Americans McCain is their age. But in a youth obsessd culture I guess anything over what, say 50 is "old". In all fairness 72 is getting up there, but his overall health seems to be OK.

It is also true that Obama is too young to have served his country in Vietman (or at Gettysburg...lol), but he did indeed have a choice to serve in the military. He choose not to. There are other Gov't. sponsored progarms in which he could have served also..Peace Corp being just one..but no he passed on those as well. Like good ole Bill before him it was more about him getting his, than serving his country. But that is the attitude of society in general today anyway..ME ME ME and F everybody else. Style over substance, flash over fortitude, serve yourself over serve your country. Yes times have changed indeed.

1960: JFK - Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country

2008: BO - Ask not what you can do for your country, just gimme gimme gimme.

Personally I think EVERY able bodied 18 year old should serve a minimum of 2 years in the military...right after high school and before college..no deferments...period. What a great equalizer that would be. Not to mention that the miltary DOES mature most people, and instills in them pride, responsibility and dedication in our country. For those not fit enough for military service another avenue should be taken..Peace Corp or a recreated WPA, CCC or whatever...so long as mandatory government and therefore community service is done by ALL. No service...NO vote.

Call it communist or fascist if you want, but ancient Rome rotted from the inside out as it's citizens stopped giving of themselves to serve the State, and thought more and more only of themselves...sound familiar?

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

He probably left it on his jacket and it went to the cleaners. I do that all the time. :rolleyes:

See that's my point exactly I never questioned his patriotism all I was saying is if it's OK for a war vet like McCain to "sometimes" wear the lapel pin and get away without being called anti-american then why not the other guy. On the service to the country part..hey it's not Obamas fault that he is not old enough top have been in the civil war like McCain....SMILE...just kidding but damn he is old as hell ain't he???!!!!

DAAAAAAAMN I was thinking the Spanish American war. DOH.

Age is relative..to millions of Americans McCain is their age. But in a youth obsessd culture I guess anything over what, say 50 is "old". In all fairness 72 is getting up there, but his overall health seems to be OK.

It is also true that Obama is too young to have served his country in Vietman (or at Gettysburg...lol), but he did indeed have a choice to serve in the military. He choose not to. There are other Gov't. sponsored progarms in which he could have served also..Peace Corp being just one..but no he passed on those as well. Like good ole Bill before him it was more about him getting his, than serving his country. But that is the attitude of society in general today anyway..ME ME ME and F everybody else. Style over substance, flash over fortitude, serve yourself over serve your country. Yes times have changed indeed.

1960: JFK - Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country

2008: BO - Ask not what you can do for your country, just gimme gimme gimme.

Personally I think EVERY able bodied 18 year old should serve a minimum of 2 years in the military...right after high school and before college..no deferments...period. What a great equalizer that would be. Not to mention that the miltary DOES mature most people, and instills in them pride, responsibility and dedication in our country. For those not fit enough for military service another avenue should be taken..Peace Corp or a recreated WPA, CCC or whatever...so long as mandatory government and therefore community service is done by ALL. No service...NO vote.

Call it communist or fascist if you want, but ancient Rome rotted from the inside out as it's citizens stopped giving of themselves to serve the State, and thought more and more only of themselves...sound familiar?

Cogs

Cogs, while I respect your comments about every able bodied 18 y/o should do military time before going on to school...in some households it's just not practical.

Coming from a single parent home I know full well what it feels like not being able to give up time to serve in the military...I myself gave up a full ride to college in Florida to stay home and work to help support my mother and sisters..my mother worked but it was no where near enough...plus I wanted more for my family then to just get by and years later my hard work and choice not to go to college has showed dividends. My family has flourished and I can be proud to say that I had a hand in it....So if that makes me a gimme, gimme, gimme person as you stated about Obama ( who from what I have researched about him had a similar childhood to mine) then so be it!!!!

The point I am trying to make hear is everyones life and the way they live it or are forced to live it is different. Oh and trust me just because I was unable to join the military does not make me any less patriotic then someone who has chosen to go.

DAAAAAAAMN I was thinking the Spanish American war. DOH.

Come on man you know he's wayyyyyyy older than that!!!!

I was flipping through last night and saw that tall version of Condi on tv, almost vomited my entire dinner in my mouth, thankfully the remote didnt fall out of my hand, or the wife would be pissed about the carpets!

Bush dodged the draft and jumped to National Guard where he barely did the minimum of service much like many of the rich kids of his generation. Can we stop acting like sheep and buying into these inflammatory websites and stories that do nothing but distract people from the issues. Vote on the plans to affect the policies the candidates are putting forward. If you're really basing your decision on how often someone does or doesn't wear a pin I don't want you voting.