Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Kudos to F.D.N.Y. at E. Fordham Rd & Arthur Ave "10-75" on 9/6/08

24 posts in this topic

Kudos to FDNY Bronx!

On Saturday September 6, 2008 at approx. 3:15 AM I was on E. Fordham Road

in the Bronx. Why at 3:15 AM do you ask?

WHITE CASTLE!

Anyway... I am standing in the parking lot talking to a friend when I start to smell

smoke. The smell starts to get stronger and stronger. That smell you know as a

Firefighter is a Structure Fire!

The smoke, now a large amount is visible and making it's was up E. Fordham Road to the point

I have no doubt "10-75" someplace very close.

I start looking up at the windows checking for visible Fire of Apartment Buildings near by

and over at Fordham University as I am dialing 911 on my cell phone.

I told the FDNY Bronx Dispatcher I was at E. Fordham Road & Lorillard Place with heavy

smoke in the area. As I am on the phone I can hear the sirens off in the distance coming my way.

I start to walk down the street towards Arthur Avenue and I notice the smoke getting

thicker and thicker. I turn the corner on Arthur Ave at the Shell Station and BINGO

Heavy Fire!

It was blowing out the Windows and Roof of a building behind the Shell

Station on Arthur Avenue. I could feel the heat standing on E. Fordham Road.

The Brothers of the FDNY were on scene within minutes. Just as they say on the radio

"lines are being stretched" and "truck companies are opening up"

They sure did.....No chaos, very well organized.

I don't think it took 10 minutes and ALL visible fire was knocked down.

I don't remember all of the units on scene (numerous) but I was standing right next to

E75, TL33, and R3.

GREAT JOB FDNY!

It never ceases to amaze how well of an oiled machine FDNY is. I got to ride with E-40/TL35 in Mahnattan back while I was in college at and man talk about being smooth! Calm cool and collective. They just get the job done. Same thing in Boston Hartford and Providence, just do the job your assigned to do and it gets done.

Just off the top of my head, it was more than likely: Engines 48,75,88 Ladders 56,33,38, R-3, Sq-61 Batt. 19. Probably a 3100 or 3300 box number. Batt. 18 was the 10-75 Chief with Div. 7. I've worked five tours in the past week since I've been back, and it's been relatively uneventful. As usual, my class mate from Probie School and fellow Bronx Boss has all the fun.

It never ceases to amaze how well of an oiled machine FDNY is. just do the job your assigned to do and it gets done.

That's it in a nut shell. When you have the right number of firefighters on each rig, you can specialize. Each position has an assignment and they do it. Not 1 person doing the tasks of 3-4. That's why you will see a lot of FDNY "standing around" outside of the fire. They preformed their job, their company preformed its' job and now they wait. Not like smaller departments that after FF 1 does job 1, he now has to do job 3,4,5 etc..... And it also helps when they train you to do it a certain way and everyone in the department all do it that way. As a Capt. at FLIP school once said, 'the FDNY is very parochial in the way they do things. Some times it can be a bad thing, change is difficult due to the size of the FDNY, but when you have anything the size of FDNY, you have to all be on the same page'.

Nice catch, but, did we have a camera??? You didnt mention that you you got some great pic's. DOH!!!! :blink:

Before I got on the job in the city, I worked in several CT Fire Depts (I was lucky at taking tests). After my first couple of tours, some friends from CT asked me what the difference was between where I had been and where I was working. I said: "Speed. Things happen quicker then I had ever imagined. Doors are forced, lines are stretched and charged, searches and vent are done." It was amazing as a probie back then to see how quickly things got done.

Kudos to FDNY Bronx!

On Saturday September 6, 2008 at approx. 3:15 AM I was on E. Fordham Road

in the Bronx. Why at 3:15 AM do you ask?

WHITE CASTLE!

Anyway... I am standing in the parking lot talking to a friend when I start to smell

smoke. The smell starts to get stronger and stronger. That smell you know as a

Firefighter is a Structure Fire!

The smoke, now a large amount is visible and making it's was up E. Fordham Road to the point

I have no doubt "10-75" someplace very close.

I start looking up at the windows checking for visible Fire of Apartment Buildings near by

and over at Fordham University as I am dialing 911 on my cell phone.

I told the FDNY Bronx Dispatcher I was at E. Fordham Road & Lorillard Place with heavy

smoke in the area. As I am on the phone I can hear the sirens off in the distance coming my way.

I start to walk down the street towards Arthur Avenue and I notice the smoke getting

thicker and thicker. I turn the corner on Arthur Ave at the Shell Station and BINGO

Heavy Fire!

It was blowing out the Windows and Roof of a building behind the Shell

Station on Arthur Avenue. I could feel the heat standing on E. Fordham Road.

The Brothers of the FDNY were on scene within minutes. Just as they say on the radio

"lines are being stretched" and "truck companies are opening up"

They sure did.....No chaos, very well organized.

I don't think it took 10 minutes and ALL visible fire was knocked down.

I don't remember all of the units on scene (numerous) but I was standing right next to

E75, TL33, and R3.

GREAT JOB FDNY!

I would be glad that you are still alive after eating White Castle. I have seen some amazing things in that place, and thats on the other side of that bullet proof glass!

Upon my first read I thought you meant that the White Castle was on fire. That would have been a national tragedy. That White Castle is 45 minutes from my house and is most likely the best White Castle in the country. Good stop otherwise.

Was this in 38/88 first due. I am trying to picture the closest fire houses to this fire and I am not sure as to the first due but I am pretty sure it is 38/88

Cool good find bro

Edited by dave27

WHITE CASTLE?!! you werent with fellow bravo member Remember585 where you???? :lol: j/k john.

Was this before or after the bathroom trip?!!!!LOL :lol: Those things run right through you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought Kentland 33 was first due over there. j/k

ha ha ha you mean they weren't doing the deed???

That is my old neighborhood over there! I love it, I move out, and right after I do, they have a major 10-75! (Then again, they had one on my block in February, March or April, I think. Can't remember now.) I walked by all of that stuff daily! Salut Rob to informing them and to the 18th Battalion guys who made such a quick stop (especially 48 and 56!)

If anyone's wondering, 88 and 38 (Belmont/183) is further south than 48 and 56 (Webster/187). I miss those guys. They were a great bunch. And, someone please correct me if Im wrong, but, I think that that's box 3344, 3345, 3350, or 3351 (I know, I'm a block or so off... But, close enough, I hope. )Again, Salut to them (and to Rob) for a quick stop! ;):DB)

-Joe DA BUFF

Edited by 10-Buff-4

Sadly my camera was at home.

I was so pissed.

I could have taken some great shots that would have even impressed Truck 4.

:unsure:

As far at "Da Box" I think it was Box 3373

Arthur Avenue at E. Fordham Road

White Castles were pretty good, the Smoke added a little flavor! lol

White Castle is like a strip joint, last stop after a long night of drinking, and you don't have to spend too much to get your fill.

I thought Kentland 33 was first due over there. j/k

It should have said, I think 75 and 33 were first due there!

It should have said, I think 75 and 33 were first due there!

no 75/33 is 2nd due over there, and 290 is 3rd due :lol:

Edited by weaselff

no 75/33 is 2nd due over there, and 290 is 3rd due :lol:

Are you making a BARB related comment? LOL

Ahh BARB...what a summer, listening a number of people approach me about that, and then me telling them, Appeal the hell out of it.

Are you making a BARB related comment? LOL

No actually I was just busting chops on some other over-zealous companies. That was the day of that whole disastorous Kentland 33 discussion. Barb would also make sense though, good pick up!

I wasn't working (vacation) but I was informed that 48/56 first due. 48 was just taking up from an EMS box, 56 was 10-84 by themselves 48 arriving plus a delay in water. Can man held it back and received burns. Correct me if I'm wrong but thats what the B/U told me. When they said it was behind the gas station, I thought it was the pizzeria glad its okay.

Yes, L56 was the first to roll up.

I saw a FF up on the roof of the gas station,

I could feel the heat standing on Fordham Road. It was HOT!

Can man held it back and received burns

I hope the FF is OK.

Again, GREAT JOB FDNY Firefighters

and the FDNY Dispatchers!

DAMN... I wish I had my Camera!