Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grumpy

WCPD- County Executive Detail Alll Detectives?

12 posts in this topic

Why are the members of the West. Co. Executive's security detail all detectives? Doesn't make sense to me. Same with the River Patrol. Looking forward to some knowledgeable answers from the PD guys.

Grumpy,

Obviously, I am not a P.O. However, through some of the experiences I've had in the past, many of times a P.O. will be appointed to a unit and after a certain amount of time will get promoted to Detective, etc. Not saying that this is the case with C.E.'s Security Detail.

Why not? They are an executive protection detail, what's the big deal?

Not even sure why the Westchester County Executive has a detail.

What is the Westchester County Executive's security detail ?

What is the Westchester County Executive's security detail ?

Not to state the obvious but it is just that... it is the CE's protection detail. The VAST majority of police officers that are assigned to protection details are detectives. This is due to the fact that it is plain clothes detail and it does require some additional training in regards to the protection aspect of the detail. The FBI, Secret Service, U.S. State Department, and Capital Police all perfrom protection details and all of the above named LEO's are considered investigators (except for the capital police and they are considered investigators when detailed to a protection detail).

To put this in general terms.... it is an industry standard...

As for the need for a detail for the CE of Westchester County... well.... that's up for debate.... but, I have witnessed the CE almost attacked at a certain event a few years back. So.... yes I do think he needs a security detail!!! Those that were there would agree.

Same argument can be made for pilots... it's an "exclusive" position in the P.D.??? Don't you agree?

Detective is not a rank in police work but is instead a 'special designation' meaning that one has special skills over and above being a police officer that allows one to perform their jobs correctly. This means that a detective is, instead of only being a person that investigates, is a person that is on special assignment. NYPD is the perfect example of this. Police officers that have been seriously wounded but return to duty are made detectives. People with special training, like ESU or Aviation are detectives, they just don't (usually) do long term investigation of crimes that were committed in the past.

I think it’s just a waste of talent to have the Executive Detail all Detectives. I would guess there are at least 12 Detectives in the detail. I think to have those Detectives available to help solve crimes would be more productive and having the rank of Police Officer be able to serve on the detail. This post was put up before I read 20y2 post. 20y2 you have made it clear to me now thank you.

Edited by calhobs

Not to state the obvious but it is just that... it is the CE's protection detail. The VAST majority of police officers that are assigned to protection details are detectives. This is due to the fact that it is plain clothes detail and it does require some additional training in regards to the protection aspect of the detail. The FBI, Secret Service, U.S. State Department, and Capital Police all perfrom protection details and all of the above named LEO's are considered investigators (except for the capital police and they are considered investigators when detailed to a protection detail).

Thanks you answered my question.

Not even sure why the Westchester County Executive has a detail.

That is an entirely separate issue and perhaps a valid question. But, for obvious reasons, I will neither comment or speculate on that one! :o

As for the comment about the "incident" at an event a few years ago, I don't think anyone will argue that when the County Executive makes a public appearance at a major event, he should have a security detail. I think the question that was raised by the article in the JN and again here is why he needs it full-time especially at a time when budgets are particularly tight.

I think it’s just a waste of talent to have the Executive Detail all Detectives. I would guess there are at least 12 Detectives in the detail. I think to have those Detectives available to help solve crimes would be more productive and having the rank of Police Officer be able to serve on the detail. This post was put up before I read 20y2 post. 20y2 you have made it clear to me now thank you.

According to the JN article there are a total of three (3) detectives on his detail. Hardly a major drain on the Detective Division of the County PD.

20Y2 also hit the nail on the head with the special designation status of Detective. The New York State Police (and many other agencies) make their pilots Sergeants (a non-competitive classification known as "Technical Sergeant") to recognize their special skills and advanced training. Just a way of keeping it as a career path and not a dead end!

As for Detectives being assigned to the "River Patrol"... there are a few detectives assigned to the Marine Unit. Almost all of them received their marine training and experience while PO's and now cover the marine unit on a part-time basis. When they're done with the boat for the season they'll return to their regular detective positions.

Greenburgh also makes their police officer paramedics detectives after three years. I believe that's to provide incentive to remain a medic.

There are alot of different assignments/designations/etc. in a PD and they may be used for a multitude of reasons.

Greenburgh also makes their police officer paramedics detectives after three years. I believe that's to provide incentive to remain a medic.

Back in the early 1980's, after the Greenburgh Paramedic program was up and running, it was realized that there was no job description/classification for the P.O./paramedics. In an effort to compensate them for their extra duties and responsibilities, the P.O./paramedics were given the title of detectives to give them a boost in pay. This was an easy way to compensate them without going through the civil service process of creating a new job classification.

Many departments make certain positions a detective position for compensation purposes.